IEEE1394 Vs USB

I have just bought a DVD burner and it has the option to connect by usb or by
IEEE1394. Which is best I am assuming the better one will be the fastest
transfer rate. Please could someone let me know which one is the best option?
3 answers Last reply
More about ieee1394

    "Useless_computer_guy" <Useless_computer_guy@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:06E7603D-E650-4ABB-9B86-A8C282A4DDDF@microsoft.com...
    > I have just bought a DVD burner and it has the option to connect by usb or
    by
    > IEEE1394. Which is best I am assuming the better one will be the fastest
    > transfer rate. Please could someone let me know which one is the best
    option?

    if you just have USB 1.1 then use IEEE1394

    but if you have USB2 you might as well use that...
    however USB2 and IEEE 1394 are both fast...especially compared to USB1.1

    here is one opinion

    http://www.canadiancontent.net/tech/computing/usb-vs-firewire/

    "Useless_computer_guy" <Useless_computer_guy@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:06E7603D-E650-4ABB-9B86-A8C282A4DDDF@microsoft.com...
    >I have just bought a DVD burner and it has the option to connect by usb or
    >by
    > IEEE1394. Which is best I am assuming the better one will be the fastest
    > transfer rate. Please could someone let me know which one is the best
    > option?

    One thing to remember is that FireWire does all it's processing on the
    FireWire chip, USB uses the CPU for some processing. So USB will cause an
    overhead load on your processor that FireWire will not. So, while USB has a
    slightly larger pipe (480mbs vs 400 mbs) the processor loading issue often
    makes FireWire the better answer. For example, a USB hard drive used on a
    server for backup will cause potentially cause problems when a restore is
    done in the middle of the day. A FireWire drive used the same way has fewer
    issues. Or, in your case, if you use say a USB DVD and a USB or onboard
    sound card (both of which involve a CPU load) you will not see as good a
    performance as if you had a FireWire drive and either a FireWire or PCI
    sound card. Depending on what all is running in the back ground, even one
    USB device could cause pauses or dropped sound or whatever.
    FWIW, every professional sound engineer I know refuses to use FireWire400
    professional, and will use FireWire800 instead, even with a FireWire400 port
    on the machine. Seems the oxford911 chip that drives a FireWire400 device is
    just not up to the task like the Oxford933/FireWire400 option. And USB? Not
    a chance. Not even a thought.
    So, for mice, and keyboards, and flash drives, and printers, go with USB.
    For large data streams, go with FireWire. And for important large data
    streams, go with FireWire800, at least at the external device end. you get
    rock stable FireWire400 speeds then, and a FireWire800 card later is a solid
    upgrade.

    Best,
    Gordon

    I hope this solves your question ?

    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question371.htm

    kovik

    escribió en el mensaje
    I have just bought a DVD burner and it has the option to connect by usb or
    by
    IEEE1394. Which is best I am assuming the better one will be the fastest
    transfer rate. Please could someone let me know which one is the best
    option?

Hardware DVD Burner USB Microsoft Windows XP