Video Problem

I just installed a new MSI KM3M mobo and Sempron CPU...

The problem is, there's no video at all...The monitor is turned on, and
I could hear that little telltale clicking of the monitor when the machine
turns on...When I got it a few days ago, there was no video, so I tried
another video card, and I got nothing...So that's why I thought the mobo
was fried and got a new one...

Could it be a power supply problem?

The one that's in there is a 300W...Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Tom

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

Well Tom thats very little info to go on ...no info on the video card
Have you double checked all of your connections??
300W does seem a little low nowadays but then for all we know the only thing
your running is one HD and one Video card??
Does the video card have a seperate power connector??
peterk

"The Baba" <hoofaaa@nospamcox.net> wrote in message
>I just installed a new MSI KM3M mobo and Sempron CPU...
>
> The problem is, there's no video at all...The monitor is turned on, and
> I could hear that little telltale clicking of the monitor when the machine
> turns on...When I got it a few days ago, there was no video, so I tried
> another video card, and I got nothing...So that's why I thought the mobo
> was fried and got a new one...
>
> Could it be a power supply problem?
>
> The one that's in there is a 300W...Any help would be appreciated...
>
> Thanks,
> Tom
>

> --
> *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
> A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

peterk says:
>>Well Tom thats very little info to go on>>

Sorry about that...Yes, I double checked all the connections...The mobo has
built-in video, and only on HD...

Thanks

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
Who wants to go through life with a tiny nose and one glove on?

Do you see the bios text when you boot? If you do

try getting into SAFE mode by pressing F8 right after the first bios text

if you get into safe mode, decrease your refresh rate and resolution and
reboot.

If you DO NOT see any text there is a possibility you have the following
mistake.

Your motherboard has an onboard display adaptor and the computer uses THAT
as the primary adaptor.... but you have connected the monitor to another
VIDEO CARD.

So connect the monitor to the onboard display adaptor,
then disable the onboard disp. adaptor and connect the monitor to the second
video card.

Tell me if this helps...

Kenny

"The Baba" <hoofaaa@nospamcox.net> wrote in message
>I just installed a new MSI KM3M mobo and Sempron CPU...
>
> The problem is, there's no video at all...The monitor is turned on, and
> I could hear that little telltale clicking of the monitor when the machine
> turns on...When I got it a few days ago, there was no video, so I tried
> another video card, and I got nothing...So that's why I thought the mobo
> was fried and got a new one...
>
> Could it be a power supply problem?
>
> The one that's in there is a 300W...Any help would be appreciated...
>
> Thanks,
> Tom
>

> --
> *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
> A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

Kenny S says:
>>Do you see the bios text when you boot?>>

Nope, no BILS screen...Nada, nothing, zilch, by way of video...When the
onboard video didn't work, I put in an AGP video card that I have, and the
same thing, no video at all...That's why I was thinking power supply...

Thanks

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*

I said:
>>That's why I was thinking power supply>>

Well, I got a new power supply, and still no video...I even hooked it up to
another monitor I have, same thing...New power supply, new CPU, new RAM, new
mobo, and connections are all correct...The BIOS should come up, but it
ain't...Maybe it's a bad mobo...Nothing else I can think of...

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
If it has tires or tits, it will cause you problems.

Tell me do you hear a beep at all? Does the floppy light and HD light
flicker?
If not it indeed seems that you may have a mobo problem...

>I said:
>>>That's why I was thinking power supply>>
>
> Well, I got a new power supply, and still no video...I even hooked it up
> another monitor I have, same thing...New power supply, new CPU, new RAM,
> new
> mobo, and connections are all correct...The BIOS should come up, but it
> ain't...Maybe it's a bad mobo...Nothing else I can think of...
>
> --
> *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
> If it has tires or tits, it will cause you problems.

Kenny S asks:
>>Tell me do you hear a beep at all? Does the floppy light and HD light
flicker?>>

No beep (but I don't know if the speaker works), HD light comes on but no
flickering, floppy doesn't kick in, and both CD's light up at boot...I think
that, indeed, it might be a bad mobo...I'll return it tomorrow, and get
another...

I'll try the reset jumper, too...

Thanks

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
May I please be excused? My Brain is full.

Ryan

Baba,

I encountered the same problem and thought too it was my power supply.

My problem was fixed when I disconnected every cable and booted up with a
mouse and keyboard.

I was greeted with the POST display and eventually I was able to get to
Windows.

> Kenny S asks:
> >>Tell me do you hear a beep at all? Does the floppy light and HD light
> flicker?>>
>
> No beep (but I don't know if the speaker works), HD light comes on but no
> flickering, floppy doesn't kick in, and both CD's light up at boot...I
think
> that, indeed, it might be a bad mobo...I'll return it tomorrow, and get
> another...
>
> I'll try the reset jumper, too...
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
> May I please be excused? My Brain is full.

Ryan says:
>>My problem was fixed when I disconnected every cable and booted up with a
mouse and keyboard.>>

I already tried that, and it did no good...Thanks anyway

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
I started out with nothing & still have most of it left.

Look at the mobo manual and look for a RESET jumper and try that...
?

"The Baba" <hoofaaa@nospamcox.net> wrote in message
>I said:
>>>That's why I was thinking power supply>>
>
> Well, I got a new power supply, and still no video...I even hooked it up
> another monitor I have, same thing...New power supply, new CPU, new RAM,
> new
> mobo, and connections are all correct...The BIOS should come up, but it
> ain't...Maybe it's a bad mobo...Nothing else I can think of...
>
> --
> *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
> If it has tires or tits, it will cause you problems.

I feel like a goddam moron...The power supply in the old case didn't have a
12v power connector, to go along with the regular 20 pin power connector,
and when I got the new power supply, it didn't even register that I had to
plug the damn thing in....Good thing I realized it this morning before
taking the mobo back, I woulda looked the fool :-/

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
I can't think of anything I like more than audience participation.

Ryan

Baba,

Be sure to update us when you get this resolved.

"The Baba" wrote:

> I feel like a goddam moron...The power supply in the old case didn't have a
> 12v power connector, to go along with the regular 20 pin power connector,
> and when I got the new power supply, it didn't even register that I had to
> plug the damn thing in....Good thing I realized it this morning before
> taking the mobo back, I woulda looked the fool :-/
>
> --
> *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
> I can't think of anything I like more than audience participation.

Ryan says:
>>Be sure to update us when you get this resolved.>>

Problem resolved...I plugged in the 12v connector, and all is well with the
world...

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.

More likely a faulty CPU.

--
Jonah
"The Baba" <hoofaaa@nospamcox.net> wrote in message
>I just installed a new MSI KM3M mobo and Sempron CPU...
>
> The problem is, there's no video at all...The monitor is turned on, and
> I could hear that little telltale clicking of the monitor when the machine
> turns on...When I got it a few days ago, there was no video, so I tried
> another video card, and I got nothing...So that's why I thought the mobo
> was fried and got a new one...
>
> Could it be a power supply problem?
>
> The one that's in there is a 300W...Any help would be appreciated...
>
> Thanks,
> Tom
>

> --
> A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

SiS says:
>>More likely a faulty CPU.>>

I'll find out today when I take it back...

--
Don't play stupid with me! I'm better at it.