Problems witb "NTLDR is Missing: Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Res..

This problem started after I installed a new CD-RW drive, but I' not sure if
it was that or A: My mother downloaded pictures from her friend which may
have had a virusm attached, or B: My sister opened E-Mail from a friend with
no text, but a link that said "Message", which she clicked on. All three
instances occurced within a few days of eachother, so I'm not sure which
caused it. Anyways, something messed up in Windows XP, which required them to
have to attempt a system restore, but after it was completed, it started
giving off the "NTLDR is missing: Prress Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart" display.
I'm usually "Mr Fix-It" with our computer, but I'm at a loss here. I tried
reformatting and reinstalling from the System Restore discs, but it still
shows up with that. I called Hewlitt Packard AND Microsoft Tech support
(NEVER buy an HP computer...ugh!) and HP sent me new system restore CDs
because they said it might have been a scratch on the cd or something of the
like (although, I didn't see any acratched or pits on the CDs).

So it's been two weeks and I've tried everything! Recently, I tried making a
MS_DOS boot diskette to load from and then removing it and inserting a
diskette that contained NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini from my
girlfriend's computer which also runs Win XP. However today I attempted to
copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT filed by inputting "COPY A:\NTDLR C" at the DOS
prompt, but afterwards I tried switching to the C:\, but it tells me "Invalid
Drive Specification". The diskette with the NTLDR, NDETECT, and Boot.ini has
a new file, labelled "C" on it as well. HP has sent me a recovery console
disk or CD (not sure which), which should be here by next Wednesday, but now
I'm wondering....Did I accidentally write over C:\ or is the boot diskette
just not recognizing C:\?

Chances are your file system is NTFS which a DOS bootdisk cannot read.
I would suggest you invest in an AntiVirus program and set it up to scan
incoming Email before it gets opened.
I would also like to suggest a better Firewall than XP has...
ASystem Restore can cause problems as well especially if there is an
uncaught virus and the system automatically backs the virus up into its
restore files.
peterk
"James Sunderland" <James Sunderland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E8A2CACA-9338-4E1F-9682-E4D36BD1E255@microsoft.com...
> This problem started after I installed a new CD-RW drive, but I' not sure
> if
> it was that or A: My mother downloaded pictures from her friend which may
> have had a virusm attached, or B: My sister opened E-Mail from a friend
> with
> no text, but a link that said "Message", which she clicked on. All three
> instances occurced within a few days of eachother, so I'm not sure which
> caused it. Anyways, something messed up in Windows XP, which required them
> have to attempt a system restore, but after it was completed, it started
> giving off the "NTLDR is missing: Prress Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart" display.
> I'm usually "Mr Fix-It" with our computer, but I'm at a loss here. I tried
> reformatting and reinstalling from the System Restore discs, but it still
> shows up with that. I called Hewlitt Packard AND Microsoft Tech support
> (NEVER buy an HP computer...ugh!) and HP sent me new system restore CDs
> because they said it might have been a scratch on the cd or something of
> the
> like (although, I didn't see any acratched or pits on the CDs).
>
> So it's been two weeks and I've tried everything! Recently, I tried making
> MS_DOS boot diskette to load from and then removing it and inserting a
> diskette that contained NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini from my
> girlfriend's computer which also runs Win XP. However today I attempted to
> copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT filed by inputting "COPY A:\NTDLR C" at the
> DOS
> prompt, but afterwards I tried switching to the C:\, but it tells me
> "Invalid
> Drive Specification". The diskette with the NTLDR, NDETECT, and Boot.ini
> has
> a new file, labelled "C" on it as well. HP has sent me a recovery console
> disk or CD (not sure which), which should be here by next Wednesday, but
> now
> I'm wondering....Did I accidentally write over C:\ or is the boot diskette
> just not recognizing C:\?

make sure that
the diskette is formated on a winxp computer, not a dos based one. he make
sure that the path to the files is correct