I have just bought a Skt478 P4 2.8Ghz 533Mhz proc for my 648 Max board
- to replace my 2.4Ghz proc.
Nothing happens at boot up.
I note that the 2.8 processor is a "prescott". The manual syas the
board supports up to 2.8 - (Willimate 478 & Northwood 478).
I assume that is my problem - or should it work anyway?
Is there a BIOS upgrade that will support the prescott 2.8?
Any help appreciated.

garycrawford@hotmail.co.uk wrote in news:1108748664.114308.15400
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> I have just bought a Skt478 P4 2.8Ghz 533Mhz proc for my 648 Max board
> - to replace my 2.4Ghz proc.
> Nothing happens at boot up.
> I note that the 2.8 processor is a "prescott". The manual syas the
> board supports up to 2.8 - (Willimate 478 & Northwood 478).
> I assume that is my problem - or should it work anyway?

Probably not.

> Is there a BIOS upgrade that will support the prescott 2.8?
> Any help appreciated.

I don't see any mention of it on their site, but you're probably better off
with the old CPU anyway.

Cheers Mitch - I haven't been able to find out from anywhere - which is
a bit of a pain - as the processor could actually be faulty.