K8N Neo2 Temp Problem

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2005 8:38:57 AM

I have a brand new K8N Neo2 Platinum System consisting of the following:

AMD Athlon 64 3500 (130nm)
1GB Corsair Pro Series Xtreme Memory Speed (XMS), CMX512-3200XLPRO
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, SATA 150, Cache 8MB, 7200 RPM, 160GB
1 x Western Digital Raptor SATA150 Cache 8MB, 10,000 RPM, 74GB
Creative Labs, Inspire P7800 7.1 Speaker System, 90W RMS, 125W TSP
Power supply, Enlight, EN-8420934,HPC-420-102 DF, 420W

However, I have a slight problem.

Upon booting the system the first time for the day, the CPU temp reading
from Windows, using a variety of tools, is always considerably higher than
what the BIOS reports. However, if I reboot the system then the Windows
and BIOS readings are in synch.

I admit that this is more of an anonyance than a problem. However, at times,

if I don't reboot, the Windows alarms set in MBM5 go off shutting down the
system. Yet, if I immediately chekc the bios to see if the temp is 'really'
high it never is even close.

ANy advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

More about : k8n neo2 temp problem

February 19, 2005 6:12:17 PM

>I have a brand new K8N Neo2 Platinum System consisting of the following:
>
>AMD Athlon 64 3500 (130nm)
>1GB Corsair Pro Series Xtreme Memory Speed (XMS), CMX512-3200XLPRO
>2 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, SATA 150, Cache 8MB, 7200 RPM, 160GB
>1 x Western Digital Raptor SATA150 Cache 8MB, 10,000 RPM, 74GB
>Creative Labs, Inspire P7800 7.1 Speaker System, 90W RMS, 125W TSP
>Power supply, Enlight, EN-8420934,HPC-420-102 DF, 420W
>
>However, I have a slight problem.
>
>Upon booting the system the first time for the day, the CPU temp reading
>from Windows, using a variety of tools, is always considerably higher than
>what the BIOS reports. However, if I reboot the system then the Windows
>and BIOS readings are in synch.
>
>I admit that this is more of an anonyance than a problem. However, at times,
>
>if I don't reboot, the Windows alarms set in MBM5 go off shutting down the
>system. Yet, if I immediately chekc the bios to see if the temp is 'really'
>high it never is even close.
>
>ANy advise would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Mike

Unfortunately this is a well known problem, and is to be found on some others
m/boards too. MSI are I believe trying to fix this, but have failed to do so on
any bios to date. Apparently it appears to be some problem with the
differences in the way the temp sensing is done on the Newcastle/Winchester
cores. My own temperatures on the same board seem to be all over the place and
are different after each reboot... Looks like we are stuck with the problem!
My previous Abit board had the same problem. :-(((( Not good.

Mike
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2005 8:51:31 PM

Thanks for the help.

At least I know that the board is physically ok even though the temp readings
are crazy.

Mike

>> I have a brand new K8N Neo2 Platinum System consisting of the
>> following:
>>
>> AMD Athlon 64 3500 (130nm)
>> 1GB Corsair Pro Series Xtreme Memory Speed (XMS), CMX512-3200XLPRO
>> 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, SATA 150, Cache 8MB, 7200 RPM, 160GB
>> 1 x Western Digital Raptor SATA150 Cache 8MB, 10,000 RPM, 74GB
>> Creative Labs, Inspire P7800 7.1 Speaker System, 90W RMS, 125W TSP
>> Power supply, Enlight, EN-8420934,HPC-420-102 DF, 420W
>> However, I have a slight problem.
>>
>> Upon booting the system the first time for the day, the CPU temp
>> reading from Windows, using a variety of tools, is always
>> considerably higher than what the BIOS reports. However, if I reboot
>> the system then the Windows and BIOS readings are in synch.
>>
>> I admit that this is more of an anonyance than a problem. However,
>> at times,
>>
>> if I don't reboot, the Windows alarms set in MBM5 go off shutting
>> down the system. Yet, if I immediately chekc the bios to see if the
>> temp is 'really' high it never is even close.
>>
>> ANy advise would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mike
> Unfortunately this is a well known problem, and is to be found on some
> others
> m/boards too. MSI are I believe trying to fix this, but have failed
> to do so on
> any bios to date. Apparently it appears to be some problem with the
> differences in the way the temp sensing is done on the
> Newcastle/Winchester
> cores. My own temperatures on the same board seem to be all over the
> place and
> are different after each reboot... Looks like we are stuck with the
> problem!
> My previous Abit board had the same problem. :-(((( Not good.
> Mike

February 19, 2005 8:51:32 PM

MSB wrote:
> Thanks for the help.
>
> At least I know that the board is physically ok even though the temp
> readings are crazy.
>
> Mike
>
>>> I have a brand new K8N Neo2 Platinum System consisting of the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> AMD Athlon 64 3500 (130nm)
>>> 1GB Corsair Pro Series Xtreme Memory Speed (XMS), CMX512-3200XLPRO
>>> 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, SATA 150, Cache 8MB, 7200 RPM, 160GB
>>> 1 x Western Digital Raptor SATA150 Cache 8MB, 10,000 RPM, 74GB
>>> Creative Labs, Inspire P7800 7.1 Speaker System, 90W RMS, 125W TSP
>>> Power supply, Enlight, EN-8420934,HPC-420-102 DF, 420W
>>> However, I have a slight problem.
>>>
>>> Upon booting the system the first time for the day, the CPU temp
>>> reading from Windows, using a variety of tools, is always
>>> considerably higher than what the BIOS reports. However, if I reboot
>>> the system then the Windows and BIOS readings are in synch.
>>>
>>> I admit that this is more of an anonyance than a problem. However,
>>> at times,
>>>
>>> if I don't reboot, the Windows alarms set in MBM5 go off shutting
>>> down the system. Yet, if I immediately chekc the bios to see if the
>>> temp is 'really' high it never is even close.
>>>
>>> ANy advise would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Mike
>>
>> Unfortunately this is a well known problem, and is to be found on some
>> others
>> m/boards too. MSI are I believe trying to fix this, but have failed
>> to do so on
>> any bios to date. Apparently it appears to be some problem with the
>> differences in the way the temp sensing is done on the
>> Newcastle/Winchester
>> cores. My own temperatures on the same board seem to be all over the
>> place and
>> are different after each reboot... Looks like we are stuck with the
>> problem!
>> My previous Abit board had the same problem. :-(((( Not good.
>> Mike

I have the Neo2 as well. My temperature readings have gone up to +65 C
which had me worried for awhile. I even removed the heat sink and
regreased it with no change.

After running the system with the cover off the case off one evening, I
discovered that I could put my finger on the heat sink and it was barely
warm. Even at +40 C it should have been burning my finger if I kept it
there.

In short, don't worry too much about the temperature display.
!