I have replaced my USB cable. windows said that my old once had
malfunctioned. my new cable is still not being recognized by my computer.
how do i fix this?

"Trac226" <Trac226@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have replaced my USB cable. windows said that my old once had
> malfunctioned. my new cable is still not being recognized by my computer.
> how do i fix this?

I would be surprised if Windows specifically said your USB cable failed. It
won't tell you that anymore that it would tell you that your printer cable
failed. All Windows knows is that it cannot "see" the attached device
anymore. It has no idea if the cable is bad or if the device is simply no
longer attached.

However, if you've replaced the cable and cannot get a device loaded, your
problem likely lies with the device or the USB port, not the cable (assuming
your using the correct cable.) You can check that your USB devices are
loaded by using Device Manager (in Control Panel - Click "System" then
"Hardware" then "Device Manager". There will be devices listed under
"Universal Serial Bus Controllers".) If nothing is listed or you do not
have that tree, you've got a problem with your Motherboard (if it's onboard
USB) or your USB controller card.

Once you've ensured the USB conroller is installed, check that it's working
properly. The easiest way to do this is by plugging in a working USB device
such as a simple USB flash disk or similar device that you know works on
another system. If you do not have any other devices, use your device on
another system. If it won't load, your problem is the likely the device.