ok, i have a clients laptop that i fresh installed Win XP on, everything
runs great, except........ if it is being posted there's always an except.

except that the video best not display photos well, they have sort of a
glared out look. XP loaded all the drivers, which is good HP/Compaq doesn't
show any for XP.

laptop is : Compaq Presario 14XL244 Notebook PC with 320 RAM, yes 8 of that
goes to the video.

seems like a driver problem to me, hoped someone might have some input.

I emailed HP/Compaq already and await a reply, but all input welcome.

--
EasyFeelings
A+

"EasyFeelings" <no@way.com> wrote in message
> ok, i have a clients laptop that i fresh installed Win XP on, everything
> runs great, except........ if it is being posted there's always an except.
>
> except that the video best not display photos well, they have sort of a
> glared out look. XP loaded all the drivers, which is good HP/Compaq
> doesn't show any for XP.
>
> laptop is : Compaq Presario 14XL244 Notebook PC with 320 RAM, yes 8 of
> that goes to the video.
>
> seems like a driver problem to me, hoped someone might have some input.
>
> I emailed HP/Compaq already and await a reply, but all input welcome.
>

> --
> EasyFeelings
> A+
> MCP
> MCSA

I can't imagine that this system will run XP very well. And, with only 8MB
of (shared) VRAM, it isn't going to render very well at all. However, have
you tried the "Set Video Utility" listed on Compaq's website? Or, perhaps,
tried to talk the client into loading Windows 98 or ME as opposed to XP?

Please note that any video drivers that were shipped with XP are extremely
limited. You will need to locate a more recent video card drivers from the
manufacturer. If the manufacturer does not provide XP drives (as your
stated: HP) then you could always find out the original manufacturer of the
video card chip and use the "reference" drivers.

"EasyFeelings" <no@way.com> wrote in message
> ok, i have a clients laptop that i fresh installed Win XP on, everything
> runs great, except........ if it is being posted there's always an except.
>
> except that the video best not display photos well, they have sort of a
> glared out look. XP loaded all the drivers, which is good HP/Compaq
> doesn't show any for XP.
>
> laptop is : Compaq Presario 14XL244 Notebook PC with 320 RAM, yes 8 of
> that goes to the video.
>
> seems like a driver problem to me, hoped someone might have some input.
>
> I emailed HP/Compaq already and await a reply, but all input welcome.
>

> --
> EasyFeelings
> A+
> MCP
> MCSA

each TFT monitor like the one the laptop has, has a resolution where it
works best.
Its default resolution. Look at the manual or site for that, its usually
1024x768 or 1280x1024
(unless your screen is a wide screen) and set your display adaptor to that
resolution.

"EasyFeelings" <no@way.com> wrote in message
> ok, i have a clients laptop that i fresh installed Win XP on, everything
> runs great, except........ if it is being posted there's always an except.
>
> except that the video best not display photos well, they have sort of a
> glared out look. XP loaded all the drivers, which is good HP/Compaq
> doesn't show any for XP.
>
> laptop is : Compaq Presario 14XL244 Notebook PC with 320 RAM, yes 8 of
> that goes to the video.
>
> seems like a driver problem to me, hoped someone might have some input.
>
> I emailed HP/Compaq already and await a reply, but all input welcome.
>

> --
> EasyFeelings
> A+
> MCP
> MCSA

ok HP sent me a driver this morning, so hopefully when the client comes by
this weekend, this will fix it.
i did not try the "Set Video Utility" due to the fact it was listed under
the 98se drivers.
as for the resoulution, i did tell him to try that but he was not with the
laptop at the time, so don't know if that fixed it.

will let you know how the driver works after the weekend.

> ok HP sent me a driver this morning, so hopefully when the client comes by
> this weekend, this will fix it.
> i did not try the "Set Video Utility" due to the fact it was listed under
> the 98se drivers.
> as for the resoulution, i did tell him to try that but he was not with the
> laptop at the time, so don't know if that fixed it.
>
> will let you know how the driver works after the weekend.

The page I looked at had "Set Video Utility" for Win9x through WinXP. It
doesn't say if it's a driver or just a utility, though. But it's worth a
shot.