MSI K8T Neo and GeForce 6600GT AGP?

Hi,
I'm building a pc with a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and a GeForce 6600GT
AGP video card. With the system in a bare-bones state (no OS
installed), it randomly locks up during post. Some times I can get into
the bios setup, other times not. Regardless, it always freezes within
10 to 20 seconds. The D-Bracket LEDs give random errors depending on
when the system freezes. I swapped out the 6600GT and put in an older
GeForce 440MX and everything works fine. So I sent an email to MSI tech
support and this is the response I got back:

"Regarding to your concern, K8T Neo can not support GeForce 6600GT."

I find this hard to believe! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about geforce 6600gt

    I had considered this might be a power problem but the card does not
    have a separate power input and the case has a 350w ps (not big, but it
    should be adequate).
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Dunno, but maybe your videocard needs extra power. Does it has an extra
    powerplug?

    --
    Lange,
    666th Black Brigade
    > Hi,
    > I'm building a pc with a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and a GeForce 6600GT
    > AGP video card. With the system in a bare-bones state (no OS
    > installed), it randomly locks up during post. Some times I can get into
    > the bios setup, other times not. Regardless, it always freezes within
    > 10 to 20 seconds. The D-Bracket LEDs give random errors depending on
    > when the system freezes. I swapped out the 6600GT and put in an older
    > GeForce 440MX and everything works fine. So I sent an email to MSI tech
    > support and this is the response I got back:
    >
    > "Regarding to your concern, K8T Neo can not support GeForce 6600GT."
    >
    > I find this hard to believe! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    I thought most 6600GT's had power connectors....what make is it?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On 22 Feb 2005 13:14:11 -0800, agaredo@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I had considered this might be a power problem but the card does not
    >have a separate power input and the case has a 350w ps (not big, but it
    >should be adequate).
    Hi,
    Are you sure? My MSI NX6600GT manual and instructions said nothing
    about needing a plug from the power supply, but it has one and would
    not boot without it being plugged in. It's a standard 4 prong
    connector ( hard drive type) not very obvious.

    Gollum
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Doh!
    The card does have a separate power input. The XFX install
    documentation is the worst I've ever seen. The backplate images of the
    card are wrong, and it does not even mention the power input. Still, I
    should have known (having installed other high-end video cards).
    Unfortunately, plugging in the extra power did not resolve my problem.
    XFX support has suggested I update the motherboard bios. The online
    vendor (Monarch Computers) has suggested I send them the card back for
    a new one. I'll try the bios update first.

MSI-Microstar Geforce Motherboards