MSI K8T Neo and GeForce 6600GT AGP?

Hi,
I'm building a pc with a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and a GeForce 6600GT
AGP video card. With the system in a bare-bones state (no OS
installed), it randomly locks up during post. Some times I can get into
the bios setup, other times not. Regardless, it always freezes within
10 to 20 seconds. The D-Bracket LEDs give random errors depending on
when the system freezes. I swapped out the 6600GT and put in an older
GeForce 440MX and everything works fine. So I sent an email to MSI tech
support and this is the response I got back:

"Regarding to your concern, K8T Neo can not support GeForce 6600GT."

I find this hard to believe! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I had considered this might be a power problem but the card does not
have a separate power input and the case has a 350w ps (not big, but it
should be adequate).

Dunno, but maybe your videocard needs extra power. Does it has an extra
powerplug?

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade
> Hi,
> I'm building a pc with a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and a GeForce 6600GT
> AGP video card. With the system in a bare-bones state (no OS
> installed), it randomly locks up during post. Some times I can get into
> the bios setup, other times not. Regardless, it always freezes within
> 10 to 20 seconds. The D-Bracket LEDs give random errors depending on
> when the system freezes. I swapped out the 6600GT and put in an older
> GeForce 440MX and everything works fine. So I sent an email to MSI tech
> support and this is the response I got back:
>
> "Regarding to your concern, K8T Neo can not support GeForce 6600GT."
>
> I find this hard to believe! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On 22 Feb 2005 13:14:11 -0800, agaredo@yahoo.com wrote:

>I had considered this might be a power problem but the card does not
>have a separate power input and the case has a 350w ps (not big, but it
>should be adequate).
Hi,
Are you sure? My MSI NX6600GT manual and instructions said nothing
about needing a plug from the power supply, but it has one and would
not boot without it being plugged in. It's a standard 4 prong
connector ( hard drive type) not very obvious.

Gollum

Doh!
The card does have a separate power input. The XFX install
documentation is the worst I've ever seen. The backplate images of the
card are wrong, and it does not even mention the power input. Still, I
should have known (having installed other high-end video cards).
Unfortunately, plugging in the extra power did not resolve my problem.
XFX support has suggested I update the motherboard bios. The online
vendor (Monarch Computers) has suggested I send them the card back for
a new one. I'll try the bios update first.