Unplugged network

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hello all -

I have a custom built system with Windows XP Pro using a Gigabyte 8IPE1000
Pro-G motherboard. It came with a built in ethernet adapter (Marvell Yukon)
which I am using.
Quick question: why is it when I unplug the cord from the NIC and try to
open up the internet,
I get a "page cannot be displayed" error? I have to restart the computer to
use it again.
If I do this on my Dell Inspiron laptop, it works and I connect immediately.

Does anyone know why this happen?

Newtechie

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Newtechie,

Do you have the most updated NIC driver in place?

"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hello all -
>
> I have a custom built system with Windows XP Pro using a Gigabyte 8IPE1000
> Pro-G motherboard. It came with a built in ethernet adapter (Marvell
Yukon)
> which I am using.
> Quick question: why is it when I unplug the cord from the NIC and try to
> open up the internet,
> I get a "page cannot be displayed" error? I have to restart the computer
> use it again.
> If I do this on my Dell Inspiron laptop, it works and I connect
immediately.

> Does anyone know why this happen?
>
> Newtechie

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Thanks for responding Rob. Yes I do.

"Rob" <robman@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Newtechie,
>
> Do you have the most updated NIC driver in place?
>
> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all -
>>
>> I have a custom built system with Windows XP Pro using a Gigabyte
>> 8IPE1000
>> Pro-G motherboard. It came with a built in ethernet adapter (Marvell
> Yukon)
>> which I am using.
>> Quick question: why is it when I unplug the cord from the NIC and try to
>> open up the internet,
>> I get a "page cannot be displayed" error? I have to restart the computer
>> use it again.
>> If I do this on my Dell Inspiron laptop, it works and I connect
> immediately.
>>
>> Does anyone know why this happen?
>>
>> Newtechie

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Can you go to Control Panel/Network Connecions....right click your device
and then click "repair" ???
that should restore your connection
peterk
> Thanks for responding Rob. Yes I do.
>
> "Rob" <robman@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Newtechie,
>>
>> Do you have the most updated NIC driver in place?
>>
>> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello all -
>>>
>>> I have a custom built system with Windows XP Pro using a Gigabyte
>>> 8IPE1000
>>> Pro-G motherboard. It came with a built in ethernet adapter (Marvell
>> Yukon)
>>> which I am using.
>>> Quick question: why is it when I unplug the cord from the NIC and try
>>> open up the internet,
>>> I get a "page cannot be displayed" error? I have to restart the
>>> computer
>>> use it again.
>>> If I do this on my Dell Inspiron laptop, it works and I connect
>> immediately.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why this happen?
>>>
>>> Newtechie

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Or how about uninstalling the new driver and see if it works with the driver
that is automatically installed when you reboot?

"peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> Can you go to Control Panel/Network Connecions....right click your device
> and then click "repair" ???
> that should restore your connection
> peterk
> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for responding Rob. Yes I do.
> >
> > "Rob" <robman@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Newtechie,
> >>
> >> Do you have the most updated NIC driver in place?
> >>
> >> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message

> >> Yukon)
> >> immediately.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Reading your post, the phrase
> Quick question: why is it when I unplug the cord from the NIC and try to
> open up the internet,

seems significant. Am I correct in my guess - you have another pc networked,
have to unplug it to connect the modem to the network card?

If so, the reason is simple. You are trying to run 2 different networks off
one card. Can't be done. Solution is simple and cheap - you need a second
network card, one for the modem (permanently connected) the second for the
networked pc. Bonus - set-up this way, and both pc's can access the internet
simultaneously (shared connection).

Am I correct? (ps I did this self-same thing very recently).
Sincerely, Len.

"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hello all -
>
> I have a custom built system with Windows XP Pro using a Gigabyte 8IPE1000
> Pro-G motherboard. It came with a built in ethernet adapter (Marvell
> Yukon)
> which I am using.
> Quick question: why is it when I unplug the cord from the NIC and try to
> open up the internet,
> I get a "page cannot be displayed" error? I have to restart the computer
> use it again.
> If I do this on my Dell Inspiron laptop, it works and I connect
> immediately.
>
> Does anyone know why this happen?
>
> Newtechie

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hey Len,

These are two defferent computers and each has their own NICs. I have them
both networked through a router. I'm only speaking about the desktop. If I
unplug the cord from the nic on my laptop and then plug it back in, then I
can connect back to the internet instantly; with the desktop, if I do the
same thing, I have to restart the computer to gain access again. I'm trying
to figure out a way so I wouldn't have the restart the desktop.

Newtechie