PS2 mouse disappeared

The PS/2 mouse I have been using for two years suddenly quit working.
It even disappeared from Device Manager. I plugged in another PS/2
mouse that definitely works, but no change. I plugged in a USB mouse,
and that worked immediately, but I want my PS/2 port back! Is there a
way to check on the health of this port? Looking inside the case, the
mouse and keyboard PS/2 ports are hidden behind the power supply and
processor--- two areas I don't want to dig into. Any clues appreciated.
Thanks for any replies!

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Did you check the BIOS to make sure the PS2 port is still turned on? (If
it's off then that poses the question as to what did it.)

"RK" <rlkexp@spamlessbigfoot.com> wrote in message
> The PS/2 mouse I have been using for two years suddenly quit working.
> It even disappeared from Device Manager. I plugged in another PS/2
> mouse that definitely works, but no change. I plugged in a USB mouse,
> and that worked immediately, but I want my PS/2 port back! Is there a
> way to check on the health of this port? Looking inside the case, the
> mouse and keyboard PS/2 ports are hidden behind the power supply and
> processor--- two areas I don't want to dig into. Any clues appreciated.
> Thanks for any replies!

Thanks for your response Jerry. I entered BIOS (via F2), but do not
see any settings for a PS2 port. What might I missing?

> Did you check the BIOS to make sure the PS2 port is still turned on? (If
> it's off then that poses the question as to what did it.)
>
> "RK" <rlkexp@spamlessbigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> The PS/2 mouse I have been using for two years suddenly quit working.
>> It even disappeared from Device Manager. I plugged in another PS/2
>> mouse that definitely works, but no change. I plugged in a USB mouse,
>> and that worked immediately, but I want my PS/2 port back! Is there a
>> way to check on the health of this port? Looking inside the case, the
>> mouse and keyboard PS/2 ports are hidden behind the power supply and
>> processor--- two areas I don't want to dig into. Any clues appreciated.
>> Thanks for any replies!

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My motherboard does not have PS2. serial, or parallel ports so I can't
mention an exact location but I sure remember options somewhere in the BIOS
to enable/disable these devices. Are you saying you don't have an option at
all that refers to the PS2 port?

> Thanks for your response Jerry. I entered BIOS (via F2), but do not
> see any settings for a PS2 port. What might I missing?
>

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> Did you check the BIOS to make sure the PS2 port is still turned on? (If
>> it's off then that poses the question as to what did it.)
>>
>> "RK" <rlkexp@spamlessbigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>> The PS/2 mouse I have been using for two years suddenly quit working.
>>> It even disappeared from Device Manager. I plugged in another PS/2
>>> mouse that definitely works, but no change. I plugged in a USB mouse,
>>> and that worked immediately, but I want my PS/2 port back! Is there a
>>> way to check on the health of this port? Looking inside the case, the
>>> mouse and keyboard PS/2 ports are hidden behind the power supply and
>>> processor--- two areas I don't want to dig into. Any clues appreciated.
>>> Thanks for any replies!

I have been through every BIOS menu I can find, and there is no
mention of a PS2 port. Thanks for your input, tho!