Sharp and Sony to Terminate LCD Joint Venture SDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
sharp seems to be making better TV's than Sony these days but they are both good brands in the TV market. it doesn't matter anyway. anyone buying a TV now would go with LED and the bargain hunters will go with cheap obsolete plasma's

skidawgz

Honorable
May 28, 2012
@captaincharisma You should do your TV research. Plasmas offer better picture quality and are better TVs all around (50-65") for all but those who refuse to believe it. Sony makes the most color accurate LED set apart from the Sharp-Pioneer ELITE TV. To other I don't think Sony gave up anything, I believe a lot of Japanese companies were heavily set back by the tsunami

[citation][nom]skidawgz[/nom]@captaincharisma You should do your TV research. Plasmas offer better picture quality and are better TVs all around (50-65") for all but those who refuse to believe it. Sony makes the most color accurate LED set apart from the Sharp-Pioneer ELITE TV. To other I don't think Sony gave up anything, I believe a lot of Japanese companies were heavily set back by the tsunami[/citation]

and i am sure if you're CRT TV didn't die on you would never get a a TV again. LED and OLED will the way to go for the best picture quality. plasmas are too bulky and heavy for a flatscreen today

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]and i am sure if you're CRT TV didn't die on you would never get a a TV again. LED and OLED will the way to go for the best picture quality. plasmas are too bulky and heavy for a flatscreen today[/citation]

Plasma screens have much better black levels than LCD or LED. Also, every screen has fantastic refresh rate, and each pixel has its own light source, meaning greater contrast ratios. (This is referring to actual contrast ratios, not "dynamic" contrast ratios. Dynamic contrast ratios are measured by turning the back-lighting off, which isn't possible while watching a movie of course. And for those who say, "Hey, what about local dimming?" I checked a month ago to find that every single LCD TV sold at the Best Buy near my home used edge-lighting, meaning local dimming is impossible.) And lastly, can you really tell from across the room that your TV sticks 3" out from the wall instead of 1.5"? Complaining about plasma TV's thickness is absurd.

And, for your information, LED TVs are still LCD. They just use LEDs for back-lighting instead of fluorescent tubes. LCD isn't old technology since it is incorporated in every LED TV. Unfortunately, most LCD TVs that make it into the consumers homes have very poor refresh rates.

However, you're right in that LCD will be old technology once OLED is available and cheap: with OLED, the colors are fantastic, each pixel produces it's own back-light (good for contrast ratios), they are improving the longevity of the OLED color balance, and when the manufacturers are finally tooled up, it will be cheaper to manufacture than LCD. Hooray for the future!

The TV business just isn't that lucrative anymore. Samsung and LG can use their cheaper Won to make cheaper products that are just as good as Bravia and Aquos panels. The margins on panels are razer-thin. That's why so many of the Japanese companies like Toshiba, Sony, Sharp and Panasonic are now struggling in this sector. Heck, even the Koreans are struggling with their TV division, last I recall.

I wouldn't be surprised if the major companies throw it in the towel entirely in the near future.

skidawgz

Honorable
May 28, 2012
There's a false allegiance to TV technology, i supposed created by news media. I may prefer a plasma picture and you an LED-LCD. OLED will cost thousands, and they have longevity issues, real ones not imaginary (like Plasma). Why would Samsung manufacture LED and Plasma if LED was so far superior? Same for LG and Panasonic. Why do reviews and videophiles pine for a TV that can match Pioneer Elites Kuro television? Plasmas do have a better picture/ better motion and more bulk/glare. LED have a brighter/ slower more power efficient offering.

LCD have gone thru different iterations (projector, flat, LED, OLED) and plasma has as well, they just don't have drastically differing names.

CRT TVs last a long time because they have been in production from before I was born. I'd say 60+ years was long enough to get a product that lasts a long time, and is cheap to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.