K8T Neo2-F configuration questions

I'm planning on buying a system with the following components:

Athlon 64 939 pin 3000+
K8T Neo2-F
4x 256MB -Crucial DDR PC3200 CL3 non-ecc, unbuffered

Can anyone tell me
a) whether they've had any problems with a configuration like this one
b) whether the board accepts ecc memory (The manual that I downloaded from
the website doesn't mention ecc anywhere.)
c) whether the board requires four memory modules for the best performance
d) the manual for the board says it "supports up to 3500+, 3800+, ... or
higher CPU". Will it support a 3000+?
e) Will it support both the 90 nm and the other (thicker?) version of the
3000+?

Thanks!

Al

Am Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:24:09 -0800 schrieb Al Santino:

Hi,

> I'm planning on buying a system with the following components:
>
> Athlon 64 939 pin 3000+

Winchester-core, I assume.

> K8T Neo2-F
> 4x 256MB -Crucial DDR PC3200 CL3 non-ecc, unbuffered

hm. 2x512MB will be a better choice.

> Can anyone tell me
> a) whether they've had any problems with a configuration like this one
> b) whether the board accepts ecc memory (The manual that I downloaded from
> the website doesn't mention ecc anywhere.)

I don't think so, but you also may check AMD website for further
information.

> c) whether the board requires four memory modules for the best performance

As can be read in the manual, memory speed will not exceed DDR333 if 4
double sided modules are used. 4 single sided modules should work at
DDR400.
I think it's better to use two 512MB modules. There is no difference in
performance compared to 4 modules.

> d) the manual for the board says it "supports up to 3500+, 3800+, ... or
> higher CPU". Will it support a 3000+?

Yes, I'm running the K8T Neo2-FIR with Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester) and
2x512MB PC3200 CL3 (Infineon Original). Make sure that at least BIOS Ver.
3.2 is installed if you want to use 90nm CPU.

> e) Will it support both the 90 nm and the other (thicker?) version of the
> 3000+?

Yes, but it depends on the BIOS.

hth,
Michael

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't give much thought to the difference between
the 754 and 939 pin models but see now that they do have different clock
speeds. I'll make sure to go with the 939 model. Looks like 3.3 is the
latest bios from MSI.

I wonder what the latest board rev is?

Thanks again, Michael.

Al

"Michael Paul" <michaelsspambox@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Am Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:24:09 -0800 schrieb Al Santino:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I'm planning on buying a system with the following components:
>>
>> Athlon 64 939 pin 3000+
>
> Winchester-core, I assume.
>
>> K8T Neo2-F
>> 4x 256MB -Crucial DDR PC3200 CL3 non-ecc, unbuffered
>
> hm. 2x512MB will be a better choice.
>
>> Can anyone tell me
>> a) whether they've had any problems with a configuration like this one
>> b) whether the board accepts ecc memory (The manual that I downloaded
>> from
>> the website doesn't mention ecc anywhere.)
>
> I don't think so, but you also may check AMD website for further
> information.
>
>> c) whether the board requires four memory modules for the best
>> performance
>
> As can be read in the manual, memory speed will not exceed DDR333 if 4
> double sided modules are used. 4 single sided modules should work at
> DDR400.
> I think it's better to use two 512MB modules. There is no difference in
> performance compared to 4 modules.
>
>> d) the manual for the board says it "supports up to 3500+, 3800+, ... or
>> higher CPU". Will it support a 3000+?
>
> Yes, I'm running the K8T Neo2-FIR with Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester) and
> 2x512MB PC3200 CL3 (Infineon Original). Make sure that at least BIOS Ver.
> 3.2 is installed if you want to use 90nm CPU.
>
>> e) Will it support both the 90 nm and the other (thicker?) version of the
>> 3000+?
>
> Yes, but it depends on the BIOS.
>
> hth,
> Michael

3.3 is the latest bios. But there are still some pre-3.2 boards in the
channel. So make sure that you insist on "Winchester ready" from your
retailer. I'm not aware of any revisions beyond 1.0 at this time. Somebody
please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

I own this board. I bought it last November with a Winchester 3000+. But
It came with 3.0 bios and would not post. Luckily I was able to borrow a
130 nm cpu from a friend so that I could boot the system and update the
bios. I have had no problems since then. Very stable - unlike the 754-pin
K8T-Neo which I also have.

Two other notes - (1) make sure that you use at least a 4X AGP card. It
(and most new boards) do not support AGP 2X and will not post with one. (2)
stay away from "el echeapo" power supplies. Get a name brand like Antec,
Enermax, or (the best but priciest) PC Power & Cooling.