SATA drives not found

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2005 1:00:20 AM

I have run into some problems on my wifes new PC

The setup is:
CPU: Athlon64 3200
MB: MSI K8T-NEO2-FIR K8T880Pro GLAN bundkort
Mem: 1Gb RAM Dane-elec DDR333, 2 x 512 MB, Dual kit.
HD: 2 x Maxtor DM10 200GB SATA 7200 RPM 8 MB
Graphics: Club 3D All in Wonder ( Radeon 9800 SE)
DVD: LG DVD GDR-8163RBB
DVD RW LiteOn SOHW-1653S-09C

My first attempts to start it was not very succesfull, but after updating
the BIOS to ver. 3.3 it seemed to work correct, except for a few details:

By Boot I get these messages:

SATAII150 579 BIOS Version 1.00.0.27 (c) 2002-2005 Promise Technology Inc.
all rights reserved

No device is found

BIOS is not installed.

(No drives attached to the Promise controller)

Then test of VIA SATA RAID BIOS

RAID
None Defined
None RAID

Serial_CH0 master Maxtor 6B200M0
Serial_CH1 master Maxtor 6B200M0

But today after defragmentation (Win XP) it stopped with black screem with
an error message
(I have not seen it) N-- something missing, press ctrl alt del to restart.

Now I can`t get as far as recognising the two SATA drives, it stops with the
following message:

VIA Technology, VIA RAID BIOS setting utility V 4.50
Scan devices........

After some seconds:
Hardware initiate failed, Please check device.
The BIOS does not be installed press <g> to continue.

Then comes the hardware screen without the harddisks and the possibility to
boot from floppy or CD.

When booting from floppy i can of cause not find the HDs.

What can have caused this problem, and how can I solve it?

Greetings Aksel

More about : sata drives found

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2005 11:20:01 AM

Aksel wrote:

Hi,

> Tried again today and could start the PC, but after 10 -15 min
> 100% cpu load it stopped with a blue screen, and by restart same
> error as yesterday.
>
> Might need a bigger PSU, I have a NorthQ 4001, rated 400 W

<snipped>

> 15 A on the 12 V don`t seem much,

Indeed. You should have at least 18A on the 12V rail. With your VGA
card even more should be considered. My 350W rated PSU delivers those
18A, but I don't have a powerful VGA card.

> but it is difficult to find current
> requirements for hardware, the manufacturer of the video boars says
> min 300 W, but how much on the different voltages?

Yes, that is indeed a problem. Nobody writes detailled specs into the
docs. Also there is no detailled information on that in the MSI
mainboard manual, except "at least 300W". So people have to rely on
postings in newsgroups and web forums.

greets,
Michael
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2005 2:42:16 PM

Tried again today and could start the PC, but after 10 -15 min 100% cpu load
it stopped with a blue screen, and by restart same error as yesterday.

Might need a bigger PSU, I have a NorthQ 4001, rated 400 W

+5V 35A
+12V 15A
+3,3V 26A
-5V 0,5A
-12V 0,8A
+5Vsb 2,0A

15 A on the 12 V don`t seem much, but it is difficult to find current
requirements for hardware, the manufacturer of the video boars says min 300
W, but how much on the different voltages?

Greetings Aksel
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2005 9:06:05 PM

> Indeed. You should have at least 18A on the 12V rail. With your VGA
> card even more should be considered. My 350W rated PSU delivers those
> 18A, but I don't have a powerful VGA card.
>
>> but it is difficult to find current
>> requirements for hardware, the manufacturer of the video boars says
>> min 300 W, but how much on the different voltages?
>
> Yes, that is indeed a problem. Nobody writes detailled specs into the
> docs. Also there is no detailled information on that in the MSI
> mainboard manual, except "at least 300W". So people have to rely on
> postings in newsgroups and web forums.
>
> greets,
> Michael

I have ordered a new PSU 2x 16 A on the 12 V. but i can not get until
wednesday.

I have got a little further since I wrote, changed the video card to an old
GForce 2 to save power, but it didn`t help.
It might be a HD problem, I am running CHKDSK on the C drive, it has found
some bad sectors, hope it can repair so that I can ghost the C drive to D:
and have the bad drive changed.

I have checked the D drive and ghosted it to another HD.

I am glad I have bought a KVM switch, it makes it much easier to make the
troubleshooting.

Have you seen this error before by booting:
SATAII150 579 BIOS Version 1.00.0.27 (c) 2002-2005 Promise Technology Inc.
all rights reserved

No device is found

BIOS is not installed.

I have no dríves attached to the promise controller, but I wonder why.

Greetings Aksel
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2005 12:05:28 AM

Am Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:06:05 +0100 schrieb Aksel:

Hi,

<snipped>
> I have ordered a new PSU 2x 16 A on the 12 V. but i can not get until
> wednesday.

> I have got a little further since I wrote, changed the video card to an old
> GForce 2 to save power, but it didn`t help.
> It might be a HD problem, I am running CHKDSK on the C drive, it has found
> some bad sectors, hope it can repair so that I can ghost the C drive to D:
> and have the bad drive changed.
>
> I have checked the D drive and ghosted it to another HD.

What about trying a normal IDE-HDD? They are not slower than their S-ATA
brothers.

> I am glad I have bought a KVM switch, it makes it much easier to make the
> troubleshooting.
>
> Have you seen this error before by booting:
> SATAII150 579 BIOS Version 1.00.0.27 (c) 2002-2005 Promise Technology Inc.
> all rights reserved
>
> No device is found
>
> BIOS is not installed.
>
> I have no dríves attached to the promise controller, but I wonder why.

That message is normal, if there is no HDD attached. If you don't use the
Promise controller, then disable it in the BIOS setup.

Greets,
Michael
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2005 12:30:27 AM

> What about trying a normal IDE-HDD? They are not slower than their S-ATA
> brothers.

I have found out now, but i thought "SATA new modern thingamagic" must be
better than the old IDE.

Thanks so far

Aksel
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2005 10:56:33 AM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:30:27 +0100, "Aksel"
<akselj.DELETE.THIS@pcwelt-premium.de> wrote:

>> What about trying a normal IDE-HDD? They are not slower than their S-ATA
>> brothers.
>

>I have found out now, but i thought "SATA new modern thingamagic" must be
>better than the old IDE.
>
>Thanks so far
>
>Aksel

Some are. The raptor is old technology, but it beats any desktop
ide on the market today.

Your old power supply is more than adequate to handle your system.
Look elsewhere for your problem.

PJ
!