mobo/case short repair?

Hi folks,

I've been learning an awful lot in the past couple of days as I build
my first computer. Components that matter right now:

MSI K7N2 Delta mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU
512 MB RAM
Radeon 9600 Pro graphics card
Samsung syncmaster 997 df monitor
Antec 350W PSU

To summarize a very long story:
-- when first installed mobo and above components, powered for 1-2
seconds only (this based on fan turning on CPU), then fan slowly
stopped. Subsequent tries yielded "jiggles" in fan at best. Monitor
never showed anything but blank; no POST beeps at all.

-- removed everything from the case (including PSU); tested voltages
in PSU; unhooked monitor; -- ran fine (fans in PSU, on CPU and on vid
card all working); re-connected monitor which showed bios up till
"insert system disk")

-- reinstalled power supply ONLY into case; all good.

-- reinstalled mobo and returned to the several-seconds-than-stop
thing. removed mobo; worked fine........ you get the picture.

At the time I was doing this I didn't even screw the motherboard in --
I just sat it on the standoffs (plastic thumbtack type); ensured it
was properly aligned (could see standoffs through holes); and it
STILL shorted.

So here is the question that I can't find an answer to: Is there
ANYTHING I can do here besides replace the mobo? Went to Barnes
& Noble (lol); fair number of books mention the problem but the
only ones that go past that say that there's almost never a fix
("welcome to the motherboard graveyard").

Ideas, etc., very welcome -- even if it's just "You're doomed," at
least I would know what to do! :?:

Hi,

In article <4222551d$1_1@alt.athenanews.com>,
mtbikermike <mtnbikermike@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
#So here is the question that I can't find an answer to: Is there
#ANYTHING I can do here besides replace the mobo? Went to Barnes
#& Noble (lol); fair number of books mention the problem but the
#only ones that go past that say that there's almost never a fix
#("welcome to the motherboard graveyard").

Check to see if there's a bulge in the motherboard where the CPU
is mounted. This can descend just low enough to short against the
case.

You can try a sheet of wax paper or anything insulative between
the motherboard and the case.

You can try to find taller standoffs.

#Ideas, etc., very welcome -- even if it's just "You're doomed," at
#least I would know what to do! :?:

Good luck, tell us how it comes out.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!