Need CPU, Memory VGA and peformance tips. Neo4 Ultra.

HI

Have just sold my P4 and am about to buy a new CPU, MB and RAM.
The board that seems attractive is the MSI K8N Ultra with a 3500 Winchester
CPU. I will be using the machine for Video / Photo work so I need 2 MB RAM.
Is there a performance gain in buying 4*512 MB modules instead of two 1024MB
mudules?
Is the 3500 a lt faster than a 3200, have heard that the 3200 is a lot
easier to overclock.
I will not use the machine for games, don't even own a game apart from the
ones bundled with XP so I plan to buy the MSI 700Pro graphics card, wise
choice or am I better off going for a Nvidia based card such as the 6600GT
or will the cheapest ATI card do just as well.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

Harald wrote:
> HI
>
> Have just sold my P4 and am about to buy a new CPU, MB and RAM.
> The board that seems attractive is the MSI K8N Ultra with a 3500 Winchester
> CPU. I will be using the machine for Video / Photo work so I need 2 MB RAM.
> Is there a performance gain in buying 4*512 MB modules instead of two 1024MB
> mudules?
> Is the 3500 a lt faster than a 3200, have heard that the 3200 is a lot
> easier to overclock.
> I will not use the machine for games, don't even own a game apart from the
> ones bundled with XP so I plan to buy the MSI 700Pro graphics card, wise
> choice or am I better off going for a Nvidia based card such as the 6600GT
> or will the cheapest ATI card do just as well.
> Any suggestions welcomed.
>
> Thanks.

I think you got some facts confused.

The CPU's multiplier is locked so there's a limit in how much you can
OC. Therefore Newcastle 3500 would still be faster then OC'ed Winchester
3200. I opted for Winchester 3200 because it's slightly cheaper and runs
cooler. If you're going to get Winchester 3500, it's certainly better
and pricier.

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

leo wrote:
> Harald wrote:
>
>> HI
>>
>> Have just sold my P4 and am about to buy a new CPU, MB and RAM.
>> The board that seems attractive is the MSI K8N Ultra with a 3500
>> Winchester CPU. I will be using the machine for Video / Photo work so
>> I need 2 MB RAM.
>> Is there a performance gain in buying 4*512 MB modules instead of two
>> 1024MB mudules?
>> Is the 3500 a lt faster than a 3200, have heard that the 3200 is a lot
>> easier to overclock.
>> I will not use the machine for games, don't even own a game apart from
>> the ones bundled with XP so I plan to buy the MSI 700Pro graphics
>> card, wise choice or am I better off going for a Nvidia based card
>> such as the 6600GT or will the cheapest ATI card do just as well.
>> Any suggestions welcomed.
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> I think you got some facts confused.
>
> The CPU's multiplier is locked so there's a limit in how much you can
> OC. Therefore Newcastle 3500 would still be faster then OC'ed Winchester
> 3200. I opted for Winchester 3200 because it's slightly cheaper and runs
> cooler. If you're going to get Winchester 3500, it's certainly better
> and pricier.

BTW, I have MSI nVidia 6600GT graphics card and love it. I think the new
ATi chipsets aren't bad. I do strongly suggest you get a SATA HD with
NCQ feature. My currently system is very responsive and I think the HD
has lots of contribution to it, as opposite to CPU speed.