MAME (tm) New Applicant = Salmoria, Nicola

5 answers Last reply
More about mame applicant salmoria nicola

    James wrote on 14. March 2005:

    > http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,32730.msg289910.html#msg289910

    Good news, as it looks. Then I can sleep well now. At least one thing
    seems to turn out right. :-)

    Thanks for the link.
    --
    By(e) Andreas

    Outstanding news! -JW

    P.S. Go see what <www.starroms.com> has, and see which of those games
    you play on your MAME machine. It'll cost you a lot less than you think
    to own _legal_ copies of all of 'em.

    J. Weaver Jr. wrote:
    > Outstanding news! -JW
    >
    > P.S. Go see what <www.starroms.com> has, and see which of those games
    > you play on your MAME machine. It'll cost you a lot less than you
    > think to own _legal_ copies of all of 'em.

    If I remember correctly you can get all but a 15 credit game with the $59.95
    (400 credit) option. Since the total credits to get all the game is 430
    credits and you get 15 credits free. I think package offers would help
    sell more.

    Matt thought about it a bit, then said...
    > Well thats a move in the right direction.
    >
    > If DF really wanted to be a prick he would have stuck with the application
    > until it was his. You know how it goes, first to file gets the think in
    > their name.
    >
    > So, with that said good for the MAME guys and good for DF for backing off.
    >
    > Now as a collecting community we have to understand that NONE of the
    > bitching done here or on message boards are going to effect jack s*** of
    > Ultracade's sales. I dont care what DF did, I'm still buying his product and
    > so is the BILLION dollar company I work for. Not too mention the multitude
    > of operators I know.
    >
    > Matt

    You're absolutely right - I would bet that none of this controversy
    affected Ultracade's Arcade Legends sales one bit. But then again, I
    don't think anyone in a MAME group is part of his target demographic for
    buying an Arcade Legends machine, are they?

    This is not a "forgive and forget" situation - while the MAME community
    does not have any collective power over his Arcade Legends sales, we
    _will_ have quite a bit of power over his iROMs sales.

    MAME enthusiasts are _exactly_ who he needs to buy from his iROMs
    service, and they are the one group he has managed to completely
    alienate. All he has succeeded in doing is generating an enormous amount
    of ill will in the one group he needs to make iROMs a success.

    Frankly, I can respect him for putting out a product with licensed ROMs,
    but I cannot respect these illegal moves in trying to grab the MAME logo
    to use as leverage to beat competitors. The ends do not justify the
    means, especially when he was striking out against anyone and everyone
    involved with MAME, from cab vendors to enthusiast sites.

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

    Quantum Leaper wrote:
    > J. Weaver Jr. wrote:
    >> Outstanding news! -JW
    >>
    >> P.S. Go see what <www.starroms.com> has, and see which of those games
    >> you play on your MAME machine. It'll cost you a lot less than you
    >> think to own _legal_ copies of all of 'em.
    >
    > If I remember correctly you can get all but a 15 credit game with the $59.95
    > (400 credit) option. Since the total credits to get all the game is 430
    > credits and you get 15 credits free. I think package offers would help
    > sell more.

    <nod> And, you probably won't need 'em all. For example, the
    two-trackball games (like Atari Football) do me no good, and several of
    the games I _could_ play, I have no interest in (like Peter Packrat). -JW

Games Video Games