Unstability

I have some problems with a new PC, when I try to copy a DVD movie using
DVDShrink it restarts during the burn process, the CPU load is only some 16%
when burning, by deep analyse is nearly 100%.

My setup is:

CPU: Athlon64 3200
MB: MSI K8T-NEO2-FIR K8T880Pro GLAN bundkort
Mem: 1Gb RAM Dane-elec DDR400, 2 x 512 MB, Dual kit.
HD: 2 x Maxtor DM10 200GB SATA 7200 RPM 8 MB
Video: Club 3D All in Wonder ( Radeon 9800 SE)
DVD: LG DVD GDR-8163RBB
DVD RW LiteOn SOHW-1653S-09C

Might need a bigger PSU, I have a NorthQ 4001, rated 400 W.

+5V 35A
+12V 15A
+3,3V 26A
-5V 0,5A
-12V 0,8A
+5Vsb 2,0A

15 A on the 12 V don`t seem much, but it is difficult to find current
requirements for hardware, the manufacturer of the video board says min
300W, but how much on the different voltages?

Does anybody here know a link to power requirements for different hardware?
I know that the CPU and the video are the big users, but how many Amps on
the 12 V supply?

Can I find a software to stress test the system, running CPU and Video on
high load as long as I want?

Greetings Aksel

Am Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:39:58 +0100 schrieb Aksel:

Hi,

have I seen and answered this posting previously?

> I have some problems with a new PC, when I try to copy a DVD movie using
> DVDShrink it restarts during the burn process, the CPU load is only some 16%
> when burning, by deep analyse is nearly 100%.
>
> My setup is:
>
> CPU: Athlon64 3200
> MB: MSI K8T-NEO2-FIR K8T880Pro GLAN bundkort
> Mem: 1Gb RAM Dane-elec DDR400, 2 x 512 MB, Dual kit.
> HD: 2 x Maxtor DM10 200GB SATA 7200 RPM 8 MB
> Video: Club 3D All in Wonder ( Radeon 9800 SE)
> DVD: LG DVD GDR-8163RBB
> DVD RW LiteOn SOHW-1653S-09C
>
> Might need a bigger PSU, I have a NorthQ 4001, rated 400 W.

Fake 400W ;-)

> +5V 35A
> +12V 15A

Yes, you really need a PSU with more power. As I wrote some days ago,
you'll need at least 18A on the 12 V rail.

> 15 A on the 12 V don`t seem much, but it is difficult to find current
> requirements for hardware, the manufacturer of the video board says min
> 300W, but how much on the different voltages?

It is indeed difficult to find out. Assuming a power consumption of roughly
70W for VGA, and the same for the CPU, also assuming that both components
will be supplied by 12V rail, then this is already 12A. Add your drives,
some fans, and you easily see, that your PSU is too weak, especially if the
data provided are too optimistic;-)

> Does anybody here know a link to power requirements for different hardware?
> I know that the CPU and the video are the big users, but how many Amps on
> the 12 V supply?

AMD provides datasheets, also there are some hints together with a
calculation scheme, that can be found on AMDs website. For other components
you may find additional information on the net. Try
http://www.google.com/search?q=radeon+9800+power+consumption or similar.

> Can I find a software to stress test the system, running CPU and Video on
> high load as long as I want?

3D-Mark would do the job.

Greets,
Michael

"Michael Paul" <michaelsspambox@despammed.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Am Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:39:58 +0100 schrieb Aksel:
>
> Hi,
>
> have I seen and answered this posting previously?

I have written earlier about the same setup, I have had a lot of problems
with it, bad RAM, BIOS problems, bad sectors on a HD.

Thank you for the help

Greetings Aksel

Using Windows XP? I would suggest disabling auto-restart in System
Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery. My bet is that you're
getting blue screen stop errors that aren't on the screen long enough
to see. If you can get that information you might have a better idea
what's going on.

Kevin

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:39:58 +0100, "Aksel"
<akselj.DELETE.THIS@pcwelt-premium.de> wrote:

>I have some problems with a new PC, when I try to copy a DVD movie using
>DVDShrink it restarts during the burn process, the CPU load is only some 16%
>when burning, by deep analyse is nearly 100%.
>
>My setup is:
>
>CPU: Athlon64 3200
>MB: MSI K8T-NEO2-FIR K8T880Pro GLAN bundkort
>Mem: 1Gb RAM Dane-elec DDR400, 2 x 512 MB, Dual kit.
>HD: 2 x Maxtor DM10 200GB SATA 7200 RPM 8 MB
>Video: Club 3D All in Wonder ( Radeon 9800 SE)
>DVD: LG DVD GDR-8163RBB
>DVD RW LiteOn SOHW-1653S-09C
>
>Might need a bigger PSU, I have a NorthQ 4001, rated 400 W.
>
>+5V 35A
>+12V 15A
>+3,3V 26A
>-5V 0,5A
>-12V 0,8A
>+5Vsb 2,0A
>
>15 A on the 12 V don`t seem much, but it is difficult to find current
>requirements for hardware, the manufacturer of the video board says min
>300W, but how much on the different voltages?
>
>Does anybody here know a link to power requirements for different hardware?
>I know that the CPU and the video are the big users, but how many Amps on
>the 12 V supply?
>
>Can I find a software to stress test the system, running CPU and Video on
>high load as long as I want?
>
>Greetings Aksel

Am Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:53:47 +0100 schrieb Aksel:

Hi,

> "Michael Paul" <michaelsspambox@despammed.com> skrev i en meddelelse
<snipped>

>> No problem. If interested, I'll post my setup, that's working very
>> stable.

> Most of my problems seems to have been solved.

Fine:)

> The RAM was exchanged without problems, it may have been OK, but Mem86 gave
> error messages on one of the tests, but it was before I was aware of that
> the MB was delivered with BIOS ver. 1.2, after update to ver. 3.3 it seems
> to work.

You meant BIOS 3.2, I think?

> The BIOS issue was that I tried to make an update from running WinXP,

It's not recommended to perform a BIOS Update from Windows, especially if
it doesn't run rock solid. So I prefer flashing using plain DOS. Also there
is a recovery method: Copy the BIOS file to an empty floppy disc. Rename
that file to AMIBOOT.ROM. If something fails with BIOS, you can insert that
floppy, and the mainboard will automatically try to read that file and
flash that BIOS. Or you can force that pressing F10. AFAIR there is a good
explanation about BIOS update on MSI website.

> failed, the dealer flashed the BIOS, I payed ½ hour for it, seems fair.

I think, that was okay.

> No problems returning the HDD, only installation of programs, i had made a
> Ghost a few days before i found the error, tried to Ghost before removing
> the HDD, but the new disk did not work correct with it.

Maybe there were errors in the Ghost image. I am using partimage - free
software and part of Knoppix (www.knopper.net) or the SystemRescue-CD
(www.sysresccd.org).

> I have just installed a new low noise PSU "Chill Innovation CP-510A",
> +5V=45A, +3.3V=33A. +12V=25A, it has got very good ratings.

Looks very good:)

> I have measured 12.24 V and 5.11 V, after 50 min at 100% CPU load

With a meter or a tool like MBM, Everest, CoreCenter? Software
"measurements" are merely a guess.

> Seems to have solved the instability.

Hey, that's great. Congrats:)

> I have just installed MBM to monitor voltages and temperatures, it claims
> that the CPU temperatuer is 124 centigrade, in BIOS I read 41, seems more
> likely.

MBM is outdated and is no longer developped. So, our mainboard isn't really
supported and some values are quite strange. If you don't want to monitor
the data all the time, Everest is quite good and it works in our board.
Speedfan reports temperature and sometimes fan speeds (better recognition
after having run Everest), some voltages are reported, too.
Actually I am using speedfan to control my system fan, in that case it can
be ignored, that the readings of fan speed aren't always present.

> I would be very glad to see your setup, mainly the BIOS.
Here you are:
Board: K8T Neo2-FIR, BIOS 3.30
CPU: Athlon64 3000+, S.939 (Winchester), Boxed Fan
RAM: 2x512MB PC3200 CL3 Infineon Orig. (64D64320GU5C) 3.0-3-3-8
VGA: Geforce 440MX AGP8x 64MB
SND: Terratec DMX Xfire 1024 with Hercules Drivers
HDD1: Samsung SP1213N
HDD2: Samsung SV1203N
DVD1: Liteon LTD-166S
DVD2: LG GSA 4082B
PSU: HEC 350MR-PTD (18A@12V, 33A@5V, 28A@3,3V)

Also I added a Netcologne based ISDN card. RAM works fine even with 2-3-3-8
settings.

The system worked stable with BIOS 3.2, too. I only upgraded in expectation
of a working fan control in hardware, but my expectations were not
fulfilled. Also I have given a try to Beta BIOS 3.41, but that also didn't
solve my problem.

> ps. What would I do without a KVM switch

Running VNC? :)

Greets, Michael

> You meant BIOS 3.2, I think?

The MB seems to have been delivered with BIOS ver. 1.2 (I am not shure but
Tom´s Hardware Guide had almost the same problems with RAM recognition a
year ago).
Now the start screen says: AMIBIOS A6702VMS v. 3.3 011005

> Maybe there were errors in the Ghost image. I am using partimage - free
> software and part of Knoppix (www.knopper.net) or the SystemRescue-CD
> (www.sysresccd.org).

The errors may be related to the bad sectors, I will take a look at my
Knoppix CD, had not seen that feature.

>> I have measured 12.24 V and 5.11 V, after 50 min at 100% CPU load
>
> With a meter or a tool like MBM, Everest, CoreCenter? Software
> "measurements" are merely a guess.

Fluke meter

> Board: K8T Neo2-FIR, BIOS 3.30
> CPU: Athlon64 3000+, S.939 (Winchester), Boxed Fan
> RAM: 2x512MB PC3200 CL3 Infineon Orig. (64D64320GU5C) 3.0-3-3-8
> VGA: Geforce 440MX AGP8x 64MB
> SND: Terratec DMX Xfire 1024 with Hercules Drivers
> HDD1: Samsung SP1213N
> HDD2: Samsung SV1203N
> DVD1: Liteon LTD-166S
> DVD2: LG GSA 4082B
> PSU: HEC 350MR-PTD (18A@12V, 33A@5V, 28A@3,3V)
>
> Also I added a Netcologne based ISDN card. RAM works fine even with
> 2-3-3-8
> settings.

When I am shure the setup is stable I might try to tweak the BIOS settings,
but for now my wife (it is her PC) is trying to stress it by rendering old
movies from VCR.

>> ps. What would I do without a KVM switch
>
> Running VNC? :)

No, but both of us are "neerds" the wife has two PCs on her desk, one for
daily work, and the new for Photos and Movies, both connected via a KVM
switch to a 21" LCD display.

I have a 3000+ too, but with more focus on sound ( Hercules 16/12 FW), and
very often some other to repair or rebuild for friends and family, then it
is very helpful to be able to switch between them, double monitor and
keyboard setups always seems to end in confusion.

I had not expected the problems with this setup, I have built at least 20
PCs from parts, and rebuild many other, so I consider myself to be above
average in PC knowleage.

Greetings Aksel

My experience with several of these boards is that they like high quality
ram such as Crucial Ballistix and a good PSU (with stability more important
than large wattage) such as a PC Power & Cooling 425 Deluxe.