printer problems over and over again

terry

i have a brother mfc 3100c printer/scanner/fax/copier...but mostly i just
want to print documents and web pages and occasionally fax something. but the
printer quite frequently won't work....it will give the message "use priner
offline"....sometimes i can get it working by doing system restore to an
earelier point, sometimes by going to printers/faxes and setting a copy of
this printer as the default, sometimes by clicking "use printer
online"....and sometimes by just uninstalling and reinstalling the printer
all over again....this is obviously a hassle and i have to do one or more of
these things daily....and it's been going on for nearly a year....brother
tech people can help me get it going again but it nexver stays fixed and they
don't know why....i think its the windows xp......any advice/help?

1) Verify you have the latest driver installed by going to their website.
I've had similiar problems, too.
2) I wouldn't share the printer w/ other users. If you're logged on and
trying to print but another user is logged on, you may find the document
waiting to print on the other users screen. I don't know why that happens?
3) Do you have more than one printer? If so, delete other printers from
system.
4)_If anything, always keep your printer unplugged from the computer. When
you need to use it, simply connect the two so windows says "New Hardware
Found". If you're lucky, it won't have to go through the install hardware
wizard, it should just be ready to go.

"terry" wrote:

> i have a brother mfc 3100c printer/scanner/fax/copier...but mostly i just
> want to print documents and web pages and occasionally fax something. but the
> printer quite frequently won't work....it will give the message "use priner
> offline"....sometimes i can get it working by doing system restore to an
> earelier point, sometimes by going to printers/faxes and setting a copy of
> this printer as the default, sometimes by clicking "use printer
> online"....and sometimes by just uninstalling and reinstalling the printer
> all over again....this is obviously a hassle and i have to do one or more of
> these things daily....and it's been going on for nearly a year....brother
> tech people can help me get it going again but it nexver stays fixed and they
> don't know why....i think its the windows xp......any advice/help?

terry

I have one printer and this is a stand-alone PC....the connection is USB
there must be a way for it to be connected to my PC and allow me to print a
document or web page whenever i choose....it does, but only for a while, then
i have to go through the whole re-installation or whatever just short of that
works.....system restore was good for a while, but now it usually says it
can't restore to that particular date.....i either have to get rid of the
Brother printer or, more likely, give up on Windows.....

"terry" wrote:

> i have a brother mfc 3100c printer/scanner/fax/copier...but mostly i just
> want to print documents and web pages and occasionally fax something. but the
> printer quite frequently won't work....it will give the message "use priner
> offline"....sometimes i can get it working by doing system restore to an
> earelier point, sometimes by going to printers/faxes and setting a copy of
> this printer as the default, sometimes by clicking "use printer
> online"....and sometimes by just uninstalling and reinstalling the printer
> all over again....this is obviously a hassle and i have to do one or more of
> these things daily....and it's been going on for nearly a year....brother
> tech people can help me get it going again but it nexver stays fixed and they
> don't know why....i think its the windows xp......any advice/help?

It sounds like your USB port is allowed to "go to sleep".
Start - > Run devmgmt.msc
Under USB-controllers, check properties for all "USB Root Hubs"
On "Power settings" tab, disable "Allow computer to power down...."

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"terry" <terrypcarter@cox.net(donotspam)> kirjoitti viestissä
> I have one printer and this is a stand-alone PC....the connection is USB
> there must be a way for it to be connected to my PC and allow me to print
> document or web page whenever i choose....it does, but only for a while,
then
> i have to go through the whole re-installation or whatever just short of
that
> works.....system restore was good for a while, but now it usually says it
> can't restore to that particular date.....i either have to get rid of the
> Brother printer or, more likely, give up on Windows.....
>
> "terry" wrote:
>
> > i have a brother mfc 3100c printer/scanner/fax/copier...but mostly i
just
> > want to print documents and web pages and occasionally fax something.
but the
> > printer quite frequently won't work....it will give the message "use
priner
> > offline"....sometimes i can get it working by doing system restore to an
> > earelier point, sometimes by going to printers/faxes and setting a copy
of
> > this printer as the default, sometimes by clicking "use printer
> > online"....and sometimes by just uninstalling and reinstalling the
printer
> > all over again....this is obviously a hassle and i have to do one or
more of
> > these things daily....and it's been going on for nearly a
year....brother
> > tech people can help me get it going again but it nexver stays fixed and
they
> > don't know why....i think its the windows xp......any advice/help?

Thomas is correct, you can also try this. Try hot plugging the USB cable.
You need to wait for thirty seconds and then plug the USB cable back in.
The USB chipsets used in some computers have an issue were the USB cable
must be hot plugged in order to restore USB communication. To hot plug the
cable: With the computer and the printer ON and ready, disconnect the USB
communications cable from the computer to the printer. It does not matter
which end of the cable is disconnected and then replug after 30 seconds.

If the issue resolves, it is definitely due to power management. Disable
power management on the USB hub. To conserve power, Windows XP attempts to
disable USB when a device is not in use. Often, the USB device will fail to
reactivate. Follow the steps below to resolve this issue.

a) Click Start, then right-click My Computer.
b) Click Properties and click the Hardware tab.
c) Click the Device Manager button.
d) Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers.
e) Right-click USB Root Hub, then click Properties.
f) Click the Power Management tab.
f) De-select the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
check box.
g) Click OK and close Device Manager.

Let is know how it is now.