My wife owns a Fujitsu notebook E6540 that came with Windows ME. I installed
an upgrade to Wnidows XP Home and now her USB printer will not function. I
contacted Fujitsu and they said since XP was never tested on that model, I
was out of luck - but that I should contact Microsoft since I bought a retail
version of XP.
I have already attempted to download drivers for the USB port using the
Install Hardware Wizard's online option.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Did you check with the printer vendor to see if they had drivers designed
for XP?

"GreenAlgae" <GreenAlgae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My wife owns a Fujitsu notebook E6540 that came with Windows ME. I
> installed
> an upgrade to Wnidows XP Home and now her USB printer will not function. I
> contacted Fujitsu and they said since XP was never tested on that model, I
> was out of luck - but that I should contact Microsoft since I bought a
> retail
> version of XP.
> I have already attempted to download drivers for the USB port using the
> Install Hardware Wizard's online option.
> Anybody have any suggestions?

Jerry,

The printer came with an installation disk with XP listed as a supported OS.
It's a fairly new printer (HP Photosmart 1115), but I believe the problem may
lie in the USB interface. because when I attempt to install the printer with
the CD, I get an error message within the Photosmart installer interface that
the printer is not communicating and to check the connections. I was getting
a yellow question mark in device manager listed as unknown device, which
cleared up after I ran the update driver wizard with the Fujitsu utility CD
as a source for files. I thought I was okay at that point, but I still
recieve the same problem. Maybe I have a bad USB cable. I'll try another one.

"Jerry" wrote:

> Did you check with the printer vendor to see if they had drivers designed
> for XP?
>
> "GreenAlgae" <GreenAlgae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My wife owns a Fujitsu notebook E6540 that came with Windows ME. I
> > installed
> > an upgrade to Wnidows XP Home and now her USB printer will not function. I
> > contacted Fujitsu and they said since XP was never tested on that model, I
> > was out of luck - but that I should contact Microsoft since I bought a
> > retail
> > version of XP.
> > I have already attempted to download drivers for the USB port using the
> > Install Hardware Wizard's online option.
> > Anybody have any suggestions?

With most HP USB printers, you MUST follow the procedure on installing the
printer into XP or it may never work correctly. Remove the "unknown" device
and disconnect the USB cable from the laptop. Then, start the HP driver
install and when is prompts you, then you connect the USB cable.

> Jerry,
>
> The printer came with an installation disk with XP listed as a supported
> OS.
> It's a fairly new printer (HP Photosmart 1115), but I believe the problem
> may
> lie in the USB interface. because when I attempt to install the printer
> with
> the CD, I get an error message within the Photosmart installer interface
> that
> the printer is not communicating and to check the connections. I was
> getting
> a yellow question mark in device manager listed as unknown device, which
> cleared up after I ran the update driver wizard with the Fujitsu utility
> CD
> as a source for files. I thought I was okay at that point, but I still
> recieve the same problem. Maybe I have a bad USB cable. I'll try another
> one.
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> Did you check with the printer vendor to see if they had drivers designed
>> for XP?
>>
>> "GreenAlgae" <GreenAlgae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My wife owns a Fujitsu notebook E6540 that came with Windows ME. I
>> > installed
>> > an upgrade to Wnidows XP Home and now her USB printer will not
>> > function. I
>> > contacted Fujitsu and they said since XP was never tested on that
>> > model, I
>> > was out of luck - but that I should contact Microsoft since I bought a
>> > retail
>> > version of XP.
>> > I have already attempted to download drivers for the USB port using the
>> > Install Hardware Wizard's online option.
>> > Anybody have any suggestions?

This is a common issue with P1xxx series of HP printers with WinXP. You will
need to do a clean installation of the printer drivers. Disconnect the
printer and clean install the printer drivers. To uninstall the printer
drivers, follow these steps:

NOTE: Disconnect the printer from the system.

1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs
3. Click the printer drivers entry
4. Click Remove
5. Remove all the drivers for the printer
6. Restart the system

Now, download the file "3511_enu_w2k_xp_release.exe" from the web site:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL3902/ps-12908-1/3511_enu_w2k_xp_release.exe

NOTE: Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is
invalid. If this occurs, copy the portion of the address
on the remaining line(s) and paste it at the end of the
address showing in your browser until the complete address
is displayed in the Address box.

1. Create a new folder (Temp) on the hard drive. The recommended
folder path is,

C:\Temp

2. Download the driver to the newly created "Temp" folder.

To install the printer driver:

CAUTION: Do not connect the printer cable to
the printer until prompted to do so by the installation
software.

1. Power on the printer, and open the "Temp" folder.
2. Double-click the downloaded "3511_enu_w2k_xp_release.exe" file.
3. In the window that opens, verify that the "Unzip To Folder" box has
the following folder path:

C:\Temp\photosmart

4. Uncheck the option "When Done UnZipping, Run Setup.exe"
5. Click the Unzip button.

Now, navigate to the following path:

C:\Temp\PhotoSmart\Enu\Nt4\Disk1\Nt4

6. Double-click the file Hphuni03.
7. Click Continue.
8. Restart the system.

Now, navigate to the following steps to install the printer drivers:

1. Power on the printer, and open the "Temp" folder.
2. Double-click the downloaded "3511_enu_w2k_xp_release.exe" file.
3. In the window that opens, verify that the "Unzip To Folder" box has
the following folder path:

C:\Temp\photosmart

4. Click the Unzip button. After the files are extracted, the
HP Photosmart printer software installation screen will open.

NOTE: If the installation screen does not open, follow the steps
given below to manually open the installation screen.

a. Open the C:\Temp\photosmart folder.
b. Double-click on the "Setup.exe" file to start the
installation program.

5. Select "Install hp photosmart printer series software" and follow
the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

The printer drivers will be installed. Now print a document from Notepad or
Word to check that the printer is installed properly.

If you have any difficulty while performing the above solution, you can try
the following approach:

1. Ensure that the HP software "3511_enu_w2k_xp_release.exe" is unzipped to
the default location (C:\temp\photosmart").
2. Do not run the HP software installation wizard. If it automatically runs,
cancel the installation.
3. Plug(if unplugged) the printer to the computer.
4. When printer is detected by Windows XP, "Found New hardware wizard will
start". If the "Found New hardware" does not appear, keeping the printer
plugged, restart the computer.
4. Select "Install from a specific location".
5. Select "Have Disc".
6. Browse to the location "c:\temp\photosmart\enu\drivers\win2k_xp"
7. Click OK

Let us know if this does NOT help!

"GreenAlgae" <GreenAlgae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Jerry,
>
> The printer came with an installation disk with XP listed as a supported
> OS.
> It's a fairly new printer (HP Photosmart 1115), but I believe the problem
> may
> lie in the USB interface. because when I attempt to install the printer
> with
> the CD, I get an error message within the Photosmart installer interface
> that
> the printer is not communicating and to check the connections. I was
> getting
> a yellow question mark in device manager listed as unknown device, which
> cleared up after I ran the update driver wizard with the Fujitsu utility
> CD
> as a source for files. I thought I was okay at that point, but I still
> recieve the same problem. Maybe I have a bad USB cable. I'll try another
> one.
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> Did you check with the printer vendor to see if they had drivers designed
>> for XP?
>>
>> "GreenAlgae" <GreenAlgae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My wife owns a Fujitsu notebook E6540 that came with Windows ME. I
>> > installed
>> > an upgrade to Wnidows XP Home and now her USB printer will not
>> > function. I
>> > contacted Fujitsu and they said since XP was never tested on that
>> > model, I
>> > was out of luck - but that I should contact Microsoft since I bought a
>> > retail
>> > version of XP.
>> > I have already attempted to download drivers for the USB port using the
>> > Install Hardware Wizard's online option.
>> > Anybody have any suggestions?

Are the USB ports showing up in XP? If not, and you can't find a suitable
driver on the web or manufacturer, then as they said "you are outta luck",
as MS is not responsible for "hardware drivers" - yes they do include the
common/generic drivers on their Windows distros, but they don't write them -
the hardware manufacturer's are responsible for that. And as Fujitsu says,
they never certified the laptop for XP, so it was a "do at your own risk" -
another complicating issue are "laptops", as unlike desktops, they have so
many proprietary pieces of hardware using proprietary drivers, that really
upgrading any of them are "at your own risk". In our company, we have
mandated XP SP1 as company OS standard (we're evaluating/preparing rollout
of SP2), but we have many older IBM thinkpads still equipped with Win2k SP4,
simply because some of the hardware has no XP drivers, the 2k drivers won't
work under XP, IBM doesn't even certify them under XP - won't support the
hardware under XP - so we have almost all of our VP's and directors still in
Win2k, as they don't want to give up the laptop and don't want to spend the
money for new laptops, XP certified.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"