How would I know which hdd this is??

Paul

Splendid

Hi all, this appears under event viewer in XP.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.

Whats the D mean?? D on the system is a dvd burner. I dont think
its the burner tho.

I have a SATA in this system, which is the main hdd.

And an 80 IDE hdd, on primary IDE.

I know the error means I need to replace a cable, BUT what hdd
is it talking about? The IDE?? Does Harddisk2 mean the 2nd hdd?
Which is the IDE?

I also have a floppy, and a USB 2 internal card reader installed.

Or is it the disk drive?

Any info appreciated

Thanx

bar

As for which drive [plus letter] applies to what drive: this can be confusing.

If one has a 'simple' IDE only configuration, XP automatically assigns drive
letters C thru Z on the basis of First Hard Drive [C], Second Hard Drive
[D]...., First Optical Drive [E], Second Optical Drive [F].

It becomes mor complex when one uses partitions on the hard drives: these
then will allocate letters based upon the primary partition, then the
secondary. So on the basis of First Hard Drive - 1st Partition [C], Second
Hard Drive - 1st Partition [D], First Hard Drive - 2nd Partition [E], Second
Hard Drive - 2nd Partition [F], First Optical Drive [G], Second Optical Drive
[H].

With the addition of SATA: in a NON-RAID or BASIC configuration, one can
assume that where Windows is installed on the SATA drive, then it becomes the
'First' Hard Drive. S for your 'error on \Device\Harddisk2\D': you can take
it that the reference to 'D' means the second drive, as confirmed with
'Harddisk2': also that it is your 80Gb IDE drive.

SO TAKE CARE: backup all the important files on that drive, if you have
enough space 'copy' all your files to a NEW folder on the C Drive [Call it
DDRIVE]. If you have any applications, then make sure they can be
reinstalled, by having the installation CDs. If not then buy a new Hard
Drive and 'clone the D Drive'.

"Paul" wrote:

> Hi all, this appears under event viewer in XP.
>
> The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.
>
> Whats the D mean?? D on the system is a dvd burner. I dont think
> its the burner tho.
>
> I have a SATA in this system, which is the main hdd.
>
> And an 80 IDE hdd, on primary IDE.
>
> I know the error means I need to replace a cable, BUT what hdd
> is it talking about? The IDE?? Does Harddisk2 mean the 2nd hdd?
> Which is the IDE?
>
> I also have a floppy, and a USB 2 internal card reader installed.
>
> Or is it the disk drive?
>

> Any info appreciated
>
> Thanx

Paul

Splendid

Ta Bar for the info.

I posted this same question in a forum online.

And came to the conclusion that this error may also
relate to my Apacer USB 2 internal card reader,
(which as u can see has slots for memory cards).

The memory card slots appear in XP, as H,I,J,K.

Or my digital cam / webcam, which has an SD
card memory card slot. (Which appears as N)

And people who replied to my post online, (and some
other forums online) said it can also be, because they appear
in XP as removable disks.

The digital cam gets picked up by the BIOS as well
when I boot this system up. And because neither the card
reader, or the digital cam have any card of any kind in
their slots, hence the error. That sound right to you?

The system is trying to read data when there's no cards
in either of them.

> As for which drive [plus letter] applies to what drive: this can be
> confusing.
>
> If one has a 'simple' IDE only configuration, XP automatically assigns
> drive
> letters C thru Z on the basis of First Hard Drive [C], Second Hard Drive
> [D]...., First Optical Drive [E], Second Optical Drive [F].
>
> It becomes mor complex when one uses partitions on the hard drives: these
> then will allocate letters based upon the primary partition, then the
> secondary. So on the basis of First Hard Drive - 1st Partition [C], Second
> Hard Drive - 1st Partition [D], First Hard Drive - 2nd Partition [E],
> Second
> Hard Drive - 2nd Partition [F], First Optical Drive [G], Second Optical
> Drive
> [H].
>
> With the addition of SATA: in a NON-RAID or BASIC configuration, one can
> assume that where Windows is installed on the SATA drive, then it becomes
> the
> 'First' Hard Drive. S for your 'error on \Device\Harddisk2\D': you can
> take
> it that the reference to 'D' means the second drive, as confirmed with
> 'Harddisk2': also that it is your 80Gb IDE drive.
>
> SO TAKE CARE: backup all the important files on that drive, if you have
> enough space 'copy' all your files to a NEW folder on the C Drive [Call it
> DDRIVE]. If you have any applications, then make sure they can be
> reinstalled, by having the installation CDs. If not then buy a new Hard
> Drive and 'clone the D Drive'.
>

> "Paul" wrote:
>
>> Hi all, this appears under event viewer in XP.
>>
>> The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.
>>
>> Whats the D mean?? D on the system is a dvd burner. I dont think
>> its the burner tho.
>>
>> I have a SATA in this system, which is the main hdd.
>>
>> And an 80 IDE hdd, on primary IDE.
>>
>> I know the error means I need to replace a cable, BUT what hdd
>> is it talking about? The IDE?? Does Harddisk2 mean the 2nd hdd?
>> Which is the IDE?
>>
>> I also have a floppy, and a USB 2 internal card reader installed.
>>
>> Or is it the disk drive?
>>

>> Any info appreciated
>>
>> Thanx

bar

By default any internal Hard Disk drives have drive letters assigned ahead of
optical devices.

Removable devices [USB attached Hard Drives, USB Memory Sticks, Card Readers
and Cameras] all get assigned drive letters after the Hard Drives [SATA, IDE]
and then Optical Drives. Removable Drives are also identified as 'Removable
Drives' and NOT 'Haarddisk'.

It is possible for the user to permanently assign alternate drive letters
manually and thus deviate from the 'default' standards that I have described.

In your case, where there are 2 x Hard drives and then Optical Drives and
then the Card Reader it is not to be expected that the Card reader would have
Drive Letter D OR for it be regarded in any way as a 'Harddisk'.

Thus I would pay little regard to the comments regarding a Removable Drive
that does not have any memory card inserted. If one were to 'explore' a Card
Reader that was empty, one would receive the error message 'Please insert a
disk into drive X].

So any way you look at the messages, you seem to have a problem with that
80Gb Hard Drive on the IDE interface connector.

"Paul" wrote:

> [...]
> > enough space 'copy' all your files to a NEW folder on the C Drive [Call it
> > DDRIVE]. If you have any applications, then make sure they can be
> > reinstalled, by having the installation CDs. If not then buy a new Hard
> > Drive and 'clone the D Drive'.
> >

> > "Paul" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all, this appears under event viewer in XP.
> >>
> >> The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.
> >>
> >> Whats the D mean?? D on the system is a dvd burner. I dont think
> >> its the burner tho.
> >>
> >> I have a SATA in this system, which is the main hdd.
> >>
> >> And an 80 IDE hdd, on primary IDE.
> >>
> >> I know the error means I need to replace a cable, BUT what hdd
> >> is it talking about? The IDE?? Does Harddisk2 mean the 2nd hdd?
> >> Which is the IDE?
> >>
> >> I also have a floppy, and a USB 2 internal card reader installed.

Paul

Splendid

OK Ta again Bar. I'll see if changing the IDE cable fixes that error.

Thanx again :)