Any advice for Seagate ST3160827AS (160G SATA)?

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi:

I'm thinking to purchase the above model as the primary drive of the system.

Appreciate any advices from someone who has used this HDD, such as its
performance, reliability, problems with XP Pro (SP2) and others.

Thanks in advance.

Hello

Your best info would be to go to www.seagate.com and look up that drive
and read about it

Al

xfile wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I'm thinking to purchase the above model as the primary drive of the system.
>
> Appreciate any advices from someone who has used this HDD, such as its
> performance, reliability, problems with XP Pro (SP2) and others.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Don't base you purchase decisions solely on NG discussions. Look around on
the web for reviews.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Seagate+ST3160827AS+review

"Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

> Don't base you purchase decisions solely on NG discussions. Look around on
> the web for reviews.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Seagate+ST3160827AS+review
>
> "xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi:
> >
> > I'm thinking to purchase the above model as the primary drive of the
> > system.
> >
> > Appreciate any advices from someone who has used this HDD, such as its
> > performance, reliability, problems with XP Pro (SP2) and others.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

If you don't have any thing to say don't send him to google

BTW. I use Maxtor brand but recently their quality went in toilet.
In 1 year I killed 2 HD (both got replaced with their refurbs.)
One of them I did defrag, and during that operation (by Norton Speed Disk)
drive died out with error, freezing system, all kind of problems.
Maxtor HD utility showed lots of errors and recommended to replace drive.
Second one had same problems that happened after I resized partition
(PM8.0).

As Seagate go, look into their warranty policy. I thing they offer just 1
year, where Maxtor offers 3-5 years.
My current Maxtor 300Gb with 16Mb memory can transfer over 120Mb per second
and its SATA drive

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and I will Google for more info.

Just a note, I did check and read many info from Seagate before choosing
which model to buy and all I want now is the user experience not their data
sheet or spec.

Thanks again.

"Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> ???????:422C6E1F.D06B3969@swbell.net...
> Hello
>
> Your best info would be to go to www.seagate.com and look up that drive
> and read about it
>
> Al
>
> xfile wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I'm thinking to purchase the above model as the primary drive of the
>> system.
>>
>> Appreciate any advices from someone who has used this HDD, such as its
>> performance, reliability, problems with XP Pro (SP2) and others.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

Thanks for your information and in return, you might want to know that
Seagate now offers 5 year warranty for its products as well.

But if I remember correctly, it will be for its "retail" products and for
OEM, it is subject to the OEM - a practice I have read is common for all
device provider to OEM.

Thanks again.

"zibby" <zibby@zibby.com>
???????:%23MzaTR%23IFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Don't base you purchase decisions solely on NG discussions. Look around
>> on
>> the web for reviews.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Seagate+ST3160827AS+review
>>
>> "xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi:
>> >
>> > I'm thinking to purchase the above model as the primary drive of the
>> > system.
>> >
>> > Appreciate any advices from someone who has used this HDD, such as its
>> > performance, reliability, problems with XP Pro (SP2) and others.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >

> If you don't have any thing to say don't send him to google
>
> BTW. I use Maxtor brand but recently their quality went in toilet.
> In 1 year I killed 2 HD (both got replaced with their refurbs.)
> One of them I did defrag, and during that operation (by Norton Speed Disk)
> drive died out with error, freezing system, all kind of problems.
> Maxtor HD utility showed lots of errors and recommended to replace drive.
> Second one had same problems that happened after I resized partition
> (PM8.0).
>
> As Seagate go, look into their warranty policy. I thing they offer just 1
> year, where Maxtor offers 3-5 years.
> My current Maxtor 300Gb with 16Mb memory can transfer over 120Mb per
> second
> and its SATA drive

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

Just a quick update:

I eventually purchased and installed the hard disk.

Armed with slipstreamed XP Pro SP2 and drivers, the installation went
through smoothly.

I am using Asus P4P800 SE, BIOS can detect right after the HD was installed.

Windows XP installation also went well, installed network card driver, audio
driver, and activated.

I noticed that the "noise" seems to be lower, and observed (with my eyes)
performance seems to be a bit of faster during boot up and Windows loading.

I am still installing additional applications and porting some data to the
new drive.

But so far so good.

"xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I'm thinking to purchase the above model as the primary drive of the
> system.
>
> Appreciate any advices from someone who has used this HDD, such as its
> performance, reliability, problems with XP Pro (SP2) and others.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Dell shipped me a Dimension 8400 last month, with the 160GB NCQ SATA
Seagate HDD (ST3160827AS) promised. When I opened the 8400 up, it had
the non-NCQ 160GB Seagate HDD (ST3160023AS) instead. I am disappointed
at not getting -"the latest thing"- since that was the point of buying
a new 8400 instead of a 2400 or 3000. From what I gather, I am not the
only Dell customer to get stiffed with an obsolescent HDD lately.

*-El Pescador-*

--
El Pescador
El Pescador's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=8322

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

Thanks for the sharing, but how do we know if it's NCQ or not.

By the way, don't feel too upset. I read somewhere during my initial
research of the drive that NCQ will not show much of performance
improvements during normal operations.

I was thinking to have one as well, but I don't know if this one is or not
because I have no way to find out by looking at the drive.

Thanks for sharing.

xfile Wrote:
> "... I was thinking to have one as well, but I don't know if this one is
> or not because I have no way to find out by looking at the drive..."Check the model number on top of the HDD:

160GB SATA Seagate HDD (ST3160*827AS*) = *NCQ*

160GB SATA Seagate HDD (ST3160*023AS*) = *non-NCQ*

**-El Pescador-**

--
El Pescador
El Pescador's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=8322
View this thread: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=60900

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I meant to post the link for the article that I read, but could not find it
due to the other system is still under installation.

I'll post if I got it again.

Once again, thanks.