USB 2.0 suddenly became 1.1!

I have an IBM T40 laptop and Windows XP SP1 (cannot upgrade to SP2).
The laptop is equipped with two USB 2.0, and worked fine for months
until last week. Suddenly, now when i connect hispeed usb devices (i
have an external hd and dvd-rw, which worked perfectly until the
problem), windows starts complaining I've attached hispeed devices to
low speed ports, and prompt me to change the port... which is of course
not right, there is no USB 1.1 port on my computer.
I tried to uninstall the SP1 hotpatch KB822603, and reinstall the
patch. This trick brought back to work inthe normal way for just one
reboot, then after a second reboot everything's back to wrong way, and
now reistalling the patch changes nothing.
anybody has ideas on how to solve this??
Thanks.

Andrea

Use Device Manager to remove ALL the USB ports, hubs and
devices. Check for hidden devices too. Reboot and the
correct USB 2.0 drivers should be installed. Then reinstall
you mice, printers and scanners.

BTW. you should alter (munge) your GMail address or you'll
get a ton of unwanted spam and viruses. Newsgroups are
prime targets for harvest bots. Try changing to something
that isn't seen by a bot, such as Andréa at Gee mail.calm.
People can read it so you can get mail if you want, safer
still is no mail @ gmail dot com

<andrea.negro@gmail.com> wrote in message
|I have an IBM T40 laptop and Windows XP SP1 (cannot upgrade
to SP2).
| The laptop is equipped with two USB 2.0, and worked fine
for months
| until last week. Suddenly, now when i connect hispeed usb
devices (i
| have an external hd and dvd-rw, which worked perfectly
until the
| problem), windows starts complaining I've attached hispeed
devices to
| low speed ports, and prompt me to change the port... which
is of course
| not right, there is no USB 1.1 port on my computer.
| I tried to uninstall the SP1 hotpatch KB822603, and
reinstall the
| patch. This trick brought back to work inthe normal way
for just one
| reboot, then after a second reboot everything's back to
wrong way, and
| now reistalling the patch changes nothing.
| anybody has ideas on how to solve this??
| Thanks.
|
| Andrea

I agrre with Jim, in order to solve the problem, you need to refresh the USB
ports. This involves removing them from Device Manager while the computer is
in Safe mode, and then restarting the computer so the system can detect and
reinstall the devices. To do this, take the following steps:

1. Press F8 during Startup to access the Startup menu. Ignore any error
messages that occur.
2. Choose Safe mode from the Startup menu and press Enter.
3. Right-click "My Computer" Icon located on the desktop.
4. Select the "Properties" option from the drop down menu.
5. Select Device Manager tab from System Properties dialog box.
6. Click the + sign next to the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" section.
7. Click the first listed device to highlight it.
8. Click Remove.
9. Remove any additional devices in the same manner.
10. Click "Ok."
11. Restart the system.

Windows will automatically detect the ports and then reinstall them.

For a Microsoft's view of general USB troubleshooting procedures, visit the
following Link:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q263/2/18.ASP

> Use Device Manager to remove ALL the USB ports, hubs and
> devices. Check for hidden devices too. Reboot and the
> correct USB 2.0 drivers should be installed. Then reinstall
> you mice, printers and scanners.
>
> BTW. you should alter (munge) your GMail address or you'll
> get a ton of unwanted spam and viruses. Newsgroups are
> prime targets for harvest bots. Try changing to something
> that isn't seen by a bot, such as Andréa at Gee mail.calm.
> People can read it so you can get mail if you want, safer
> still is no mail @ gmail dot com

> <andrea.negro@gmail.com> wrote in message
> |I have an IBM T40 laptop and Windows XP SP1 (cannot upgrade
> to SP2).
> | The laptop is equipped with two USB 2.0, and worked fine
> for months
> | until last week. Suddenly, now when i connect hispeed usb
> devices (i
> | have an external hd and dvd-rw, which worked perfectly
> until the
> | problem), windows starts complaining I've attached hispeed
> devices to
> | low speed ports, and prompt me to change the port... which
> is of course
> | not right, there is no USB 1.1 port on my computer.
> | I tried to uninstall the SP1 hotpatch KB822603, and
> reinstall the
> | patch. This trick brought back to work inthe normal way
> for just one
> | reboot, then after a second reboot everything's back to
> wrong way, and
> | now reistalling the patch changes nothing.
> | anybody has ideas on how to solve this??
> | Thanks.
> |
> | Andrea

I tried everything, but it's still not working. Sometimes Windows
understands what is the hardware layout, but most of the times (being
unusable) it do not recognize the hw. If the drivers are reinstalled,
many times (not all), it works correctly for a while (the time for a
dvd burning, for example), then falls back to the wrong behaviour. It
always complains that i'm plugging hispeed usb devices to lowspeed
ports, even if my usb are all hispeed.

In the device manager of my T40, i see three 'Intel 8280 1DB/DBM
Universal Host Controller', each having a matching device 'USB Root
Hub' with two ports,
and a 'Intel 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller', which has
a matching 'USB Root Hub' which holds 6 ports.
When (rarely) it's working correctly, when i plug a hispeed device to
one of my two usb ports, the device is listed in the 'USB Root Hub'
matching the 2.0 controller, becoming 5 unused and 1 used. When it's
not working, the device is listed in one of the three lowspeed USB Root
Hub, and Windows start telling me to unplug from these and to plug in
one of the 6 devices under the 2.0 controller... but the only two usb
plugs i have are 2.0, I can't plug it somewherelse.

I found the same problem on other computers (friends), so it's not a
matter of specific hardware, since I found the same stupid behaviour on
different hardwares (my internal intel usb hub, other brands hubs,
pcmcia 2.0 usb cards).

Is there a way to have a log of what the hell Windows is doing with
these usb when you plug/unplug them, like linux's /var/log/messages? I
mean, I know this is Windows and it's not working by definition, but I
suppose there is some way to understand at least what it's doing...
But since this strange behaviour started suddenly on perfectly working
computers few weeks ago, both me and other computers i saw, I think
there is something wrong with recent updates. After all, it's just
Microsoft stuff.

PS: I hope the 'from' field is ok now. First time using google groups
2. Tnx.

Andrea