BT Voyager 2100 problems

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi

The problem is strange really, but hopefully someone will have an answer:

I have a main PC connected to a BT Voyager 2100 router via an ethernet cable
which works absolutely fine. I also have an Acer Aspire 1520 laptop which
has WiFi and I wish to connect to the internet via this method.

I have actually suceeded in this but the connection is very unstable and can
collapse at a moments notice. I then try to search for the connection again,
only to have the message "cannot find wireless connection" or something like
that appear, even though the modem is right next to the laptop!

I also find that even walking 5 meters away from the modem severs the
connection which is extremely frustrating.

Is this a problem with the WiFi do you think? Or maybe something is
interfering with the router in some way?

I would be grateful for any and all help.

Kind regards

Tom

Sounds like a wifi problem - try reloading the driver. My 2100 works fine but
I use a USB adapter on the laptop.

"Tom" wrote:

> Hi
>
> The problem is strange really, but hopefully someone will have an answer:
>
> I have a main PC connected to a BT Voyager 2100 router via an ethernet cable
> which works absolutely fine. I also have an Acer Aspire 1520 laptop which
> has WiFi and I wish to connect to the internet via this method.
>
> I have actually suceeded in this but the connection is very unstable and can
> collapse at a moments notice. I then try to search for the connection again,
> only to have the message "cannot find wireless connection" or something like
> that appear, even though the modem is right next to the laptop!
>
> I also find that even walking 5 meters away from the modem severs the
> connection which is extremely frustrating.
>
> Is this a problem with the WiFi do you think? Or maybe something is
> interfering with the router in some way?
>
> I would be grateful for any and all help.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi and thanks for your helpful e-mail - I was beginning to think I was going
crazy!

Just a couple of things - the laptop did not come with any CDs as such - can
you tell me how I would go about re-installing the driver?

Also, you mentioned a USB adaptor - any idea where I can get one and what I
am looking for?

I am grateful for your help so far

Kind regards

Tom

"Jim B" wrote:

> Sounds like a wifi problem - try reloading the driver. My 2100 works fine but
> I use a USB adapter on the laptop.
>
> "Tom" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > The problem is strange really, but hopefully someone will have an answer:
> >
> > I have a main PC connected to a BT Voyager 2100 router via an ethernet cable
> > which works absolutely fine. I also have an Acer Aspire 1520 laptop which
> > has WiFi and I wish to connect to the internet via this method.
> >
> > I have actually suceeded in this but the connection is very unstable and can
> > collapse at a moments notice. I then try to search for the connection again,
> > only to have the message "cannot find wireless connection" or something like
> > that appear, even though the modem is right next to the laptop!
> >
> > I also find that even walking 5 meters away from the modem severs the
> > connection which is extremely frustrating.
> >
> > Is this a problem with the WiFi do you think? Or maybe something is
> > interfering with the router in some way?
> >
> > I would be grateful for any and all help.
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> > Tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi again

I should have added that the laptop is only a day old, so I think the
problem is probably more with the router, especially since wiggling the areal
restores the connection.

Any ideas as to how I might improve the signal from the router?

"Jim B" wrote:

> Sounds like a wifi problem - try reloading the driver. My 2100 works fine but
> I use a USB adapter on the laptop.
>
> "Tom" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > The problem is strange really, but hopefully someone will have an answer:
> >
> > I have a main PC connected to a BT Voyager 2100 router via an ethernet cable
> > which works absolutely fine. I also have an Acer Aspire 1520 laptop which
> > has WiFi and I wish to connect to the internet via this method.
> >
> > I have actually suceeded in this but the connection is very unstable and can
> > collapse at a moments notice. I then try to search for the connection again,
> > only to have the message "cannot find wireless connection" or something like
> > that appear, even though the modem is right next to the laptop!
> >
> > I also find that even walking 5 meters away from the modem severs the
> > connection which is extremely frustrating.
> >
> > Is this a problem with the WiFi do you think? Or maybe something is
> > interfering with the router in some way?
> >
> > I would be grateful for any and all help.
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> > Tom

That sounds like it is possible that the connection to the antenna on the
router is actually broken. Check to see if the antenna connection can be
tightened or secured. If you cannot secure it the either take it in to a
reputable tech shop or have the manufacturer repair or replace it.

If those are not options then you may have to fall back on a "hay-wire" fix:
I have fixed more than a few of the Linksys Wireless Routers with "loose"
antennas by using 5-minute epoxy.
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com