asus motherboard install

I recently purchased an asus motherboard when I install this board along with
my new ge-force mx4000 video card I get the error message
system32\drivers\ntfs.sys missing or not found. Then when I try to repair or
re-install window xp home and while setup is loading files I get the error
message file setupdd.sys could not load error code 4. So I take the board out
and re-install the old board and it boots just fine that is how I am typing
this message now. My first question. Is it possible that I need to install
the video card drivers before installing the new board and second if not what
else could be the problem? I am running an asus a7n8x-e deluxe board a wd
180gb hard drive and a geforce mx4000 video card.
Help please
Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about asus motherboard install

    >I recently purchased an asus motherboard when I install this board along
    >with
    > my new ge-force mx4000 video card I get the error message
    > system32\drivers\ntfs.sys missing or not found. Then when I try to repair
    > or
    > re-install window xp home and while setup is loading files I get the error
    > message file setupdd.sys could not load error code 4. So I take the board
    > out
    > and re-install the old board and it boots just fine that is how I am
    > typing
    > this message now. My first question. Is it possible that I need to install
    > the video card drivers before installing the new board and second if not
    > what
    > else could be the problem? I am running an asus a7n8x-e deluxe board a wd
    > 180gb hard drive and a geforce mx4000 video card.

    Try here for some tips:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330181

    Kerry

    "Kerry Brown" wrote:

    > >I recently purchased an asus motherboard when I install this board along
    > >with
    > > my new ge-force mx4000 video card I get the error message
    > > system32\drivers\ntfs.sys missing or not found. Then when I try to repair
    > > or
    > > re-install window xp home and while setup is loading files I get the error
    > > message file setupdd.sys could not load error code 4. So I take the board
    > > out
    > > and re-install the old board and it boots just fine that is how I am
    > > typing
    > > this message now. My first question. Is it possible that I need to install
    > > the video card drivers before installing the new board and second if not
    > > what
    > > else could be the problem? I am running an asus a7n8x-e deluxe board a wd
    > > 180gb hard drive and a geforce mx4000 video card.
    >
    > Try here for some tips:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330181
    >
    > Kerry

    Thanks Kerry but all that has been done I need help beyond these simple
    things.

    > Thanks Kerry but all that has been done I need help beyond these simple
    > things.

    Try to do a repair install with just the basic components hooked up. i.e.
    one hard drive, one CDROM drive, 1 stick of RAM (at least 128MB), most basic
    video card you have available (PCI if possible). Remove all PCI and AGP
    cards except video card. Disconnect all external devices, USB, printer, card
    reader, etc. Check all jumper settings on the hard drive and CDROM. Some
    motherboards will work if drives are set as cable select, some won't. Set
    all settings in BIOS as per Abhilash's post. If it still won't do a repair
    install you may have to do a clean install. Hope this helps. Let us know how
    you make out.

    Kerry

    Hello

    Try this remove all drivers and reboot your pc and don't install
    any drivers, let XP choose a defauklt driver, then go to www.nvidia.com
    and downlaod the drivers from thier website, am not sure if oyu have
    done this or not but you have not mentioned it at all

    Al
    funnzenk wrote:

    > I recently purchased an asus motherboard when I install this board along with
    > my new ge-force mx4000 video card I get the error message
    > system32\drivers\ntfs.sys missing or not found. Then when I try to repair or
    > re-install window xp home and while setup is loading files I get the error
    > message file setupdd.sys could not load error code 4. So I take the board out
    > and re-install the old board and it boots just fine that is how I am typing
    > this message now. My first question. Is it possible that I need to install
    > the video card drivers before installing the new board and second if not what
    > else could be the problem? I am running an asus a7n8x-e deluxe board a wd
    > 180gb hard drive and a geforce mx4000 video card.
    > Help please
    > Thanks

    You can clean install, but also, you can do a repair first as to restore your
    system files. Install the drivers for the agp and chipset and then for the
    video card.

    "funnzenk" <funnzenk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

    You might try posting to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

    There seems to be different causes for this error, beyond those described on
    the MS site. These are:

    1. multiple RAM modules. Try Repair install using a single RAM module.
    2. caching options in the BIOS. Turn OFF all BIOS and Video caching in the
    BIOS (DO NOT turn off CPU cache, that would make the computer very very
    slow)
    3. If it still does not work, set "Fail safe BIOS default" in the BIOS of
    your new motherboard and try repair install.
    4. Also try disabling onboard LAN/sound/usb(every hardware not necessary for
    Windows XP setup) in the BIOS.

    If all fails, take a backup of your system partition, format and clean
    install Windows XP.

    Let us know, whether it works out.

    > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
    >
    >> >I recently purchased an asus motherboard when I install this board along
    >> >with
    >> > my new ge-force mx4000 video card I get the error message
    >> > system32\drivers\ntfs.sys missing or not found. Then when I try to
    >> > repair
    >> > or
    >> > re-install window xp home and while setup is loading files I get the
    >> > error
    >> > message file setupdd.sys could not load error code 4. So I take the
    >> > board
    >> > out
    >> > and re-install the old board and it boots just fine that is how I am
    >> > typing
    >> > this message now. My first question. Is it possible that I need to
    >> > install
    >> > the video card drivers before installing the new board and second if
    >> > not
    >> > what
    >> > else could be the problem? I am running an asus a7n8x-e deluxe board a
    >> > wd
    >> > 180gb hard drive and a geforce mx4000 video card.
    >>
    >> Try here for some tips:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330181
    >>
    >> Kerry
    >>
    > Thanks Kerry but all that has been done I need help beyond these simple
    > things.

    Hi:

    My understanding is that if you changed certain major hardware, Win XP would
    require you to re-install and re-activate and certainly it sounds like in
    your case since - (a) You changed both M/B and VGA card which should be a
    major change (It happened to me once simply because one M/B), and (b) If you
    using the old board, everything seems ok - based on what you said.

    You could just use repair installation which was what I did and I forgot if
    re-activation is needed.

    PS: According to some technical papers which I forgot where did I read it
    but including those from MS, this reinstallation is needed for the "optimal"
    performance since Windows XP has registered the original hardware
    configuration during initial installation. Others said it is just for
    preventing pirate copy and all others are BS, which I believe the later one.

    Good luck.

    "funnzenk" <funnzenk@discussions.microsoft.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:1C8EC32D-76A6-4DF8-A47D-724B1C268256@microsoft.com...
    >I recently purchased an asus motherboard when I install this board along
    >with
    > my new ge-force mx4000 video card I get the error message
    > system32\drivers\ntfs.sys missing or not found. Then when I try to repair
    > or
    > re-install window xp home and while setup is loading files I get the error
    > message file setupdd.sys could not load error code 4. So I take the board
    > out
    > and re-install the old board and it boots just fine that is how I am
    > typing
    > this message now. My first question. Is it possible that I need to install
    > the video card drivers before installing the new board and second if not
    > what
    > else could be the problem? I am running an asus a7n8x-e deluxe board a wd
    > 180gb hard drive and a geforce mx4000 video card.
    > Help please
    > Thanks

Asus Graphics Cards Motherboards Windows XP