K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI questions

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
March 12, 2005 9:12:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

Hi all,

Just ordered the above mobo and have a couple questions as I usually use
asus boards.

1. When setting up and installing windows will my SATA HD been seen etc or
will I need to download drivers?

2. When updating the BIOS is the a winows application that will do the job
(like asus update) or can is be only completed with a floppy?

3. What is the latest / most stable BIOS?

4. Are there any issues with running RAM at 1T with HTT at 250mhz DDR400
(1:1)?

many thanks
March 12, 2005 10:19:23 PM

sacrum wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just ordered the above mobo and have a couple questions as I usually use
> asus boards.
>
> 1. When setting up and installing windows will my SATA HD been seen etc or
> will I need to download drivers?

You will get a floppy disk with the driver, but I don't know if u'll
need it.

I've just bought it as well I'm going to install this week.

Cheers.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2005 3:48:03 AM

sacrum schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Just ordered the above mobo and have a couple questions as I usually use
> asus boards.
>
> 1. When setting up and installing windows will my SATA HD been seen etc or
> will I need to download drivers?

Yes. No Problems. You only need the Driver disk if you running your SATA
Drives in a RAID configuration.

> 2. When updating the BIOS is the a winows application that will do the job
> (like asus update) or can is be only completed with a floppy?
I always did the BIOS flashing with the disk. But I think (not 100 %
sure) you can do it also from windows.

> 3. What is the latest / most stable BIOS?

3.1
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_...

> 4. Are there any issues with running RAM at 1T with HTT at 250mhz DDR400
> (1:1)?

My only issue was that i have to use DIMM 3 and 4 to run my memory in
DUAL Cannel mode. I use a pair of Corsair CMX512-3200XL (1 GIG) (2-2-2-5
1T. For 250 i run 2,5-3-3-6 default Voltage (2,7V).

By the way. Its the most stable board ever. I am able to run my Winnie
3000+ (1800Mhz) @ 2700 Prime and Pi Stable. Have fun.

> many thanks

Related resources
March 13, 2005 2:04:45 PM

"Michael Steinbrück" <michael_steinbrueck@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D 0vutk$av6$02$1@news.t-online.com...
> sacrum schrieb:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just ordered the above mobo and have a couple questions as I usually use
> > asus boards.
> >
> > 1. When setting up and installing windows will my SATA HD been seen etc
or
> > will I need to download drivers?
>
> Yes. No Problems. You only need the Driver disk if you running your SATA
> Drives in a RAID configuration.
> >
> > 2. When updating the BIOS is the a winows application that will do the
job
> > (like asus update) or can is be only completed with a floppy?
> I always did the BIOS flashing with the disk. But I think (not 100 %
> sure) you can do it also from windows.
> >
> > 3. What is the latest / most stable BIOS?
> >

> 3.1

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_...

> > 4. Are there any issues with running RAM at 1T with HTT at 250mhz DDR400
> > (1:1)?
>
> My only issue was that i have to use DIMM 3 and 4 to run my memory in
> DUAL Cannel mode. I use a pair of Corsair CMX512-3200XL (1 GIG) (2-2-2-5
> 1T. For 250 i run 2,5-3-3-6 default Voltage (2,7V).
>
> By the way. Its the most stable board ever. I am able to run my Winnie
> 3000+ (1800Mhz) @ 2700 Prime and Pi Stable. Have fun.
> >
> > many thanks

Thanks for info - great help. In fact I have the same DDR Corsair TwinX
pc3200 XLPT (2 x 512mb)
I've now changed my order to the Diamond MSI board which seems to be exactly
the same bar some additions. One concern I do have is the positioning of
the system chip / cooler blocking placement of second sli graphics card.....
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2005 12:10:43 PM

sacrum schrieb:
> "Michael Steinbrück" <michael_steinbrueck@t-online.de> wrote in message
> news:D 0vutk$av6$02$1@news.t-online.com...
>
>>sacrum schrieb:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>Just ordered the above mobo and have a couple questions as I usually use
>>>asus boards.
>>>
>>>1. When setting up and installing windows will my SATA HD been seen etc
>
> or
>
>>>will I need to download drivers?
>>
>>Yes. No Problems. You only need the Driver disk if you running your SATA
>>Drives in a RAID configuration.
>>
>>>2. When updating the BIOS is the a winows application that will do the
>
> job
>
>>>(like asus update) or can is be only completed with a floppy?
>>
>>I always did the BIOS flashing with the disk. But I think (not 100 %
>>sure) you can do it also from windows.
>>
>>>3. What is the latest / most stable BIOS?
>>>

>>3.1
>>

> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_...
>
>>>4. Are there any issues with running RAM at 1T with HTT at 250mhz DDR400
>>>(1:1)?
>>
>>My only issue was that i have to use DIMM 3 and 4 to run my memory in
>>DUAL Cannel mode. I use a pair of Corsair CMX512-3200XL (1 GIG) (2-2-2-5
>>1T. For 250 i run 2,5-3-3-6 default Voltage (2,7V).
>>
>>By the way. Its the most stable board ever. I am able to run my Winnie
>>3000+ (1800Mhz) @ 2700 Prime and Pi Stable. Have fun.
>>
>>>many thanks
>>>

> Thanks for info - great help. In fact I have the same DDR Corsair TwinX
> pc3200 XLPT (2 x 512mb)
> I've now changed my order to the Diamond MSI board which seems to be exactly
> the same bar some additions. One concern I do have is the positioning of
> the system chip / cooler blocking placement of second sli graphics card.....

Could you please tell me what Board you have ordered. Do you mean the
NortBridge Fan ? The Colling solutions on the Nforce 4 Boards are all
the same. The second graphic card is no problem as long as you use the
orginal fan. You can´t use something like an passive cooler (like the
Zalman Northbridge Cooler). Its to high. I am using the Zalman Fan Mate
2 to reduce the noise.

(http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=70&co...).

Its between the board and the Fan. Now the Northbrige Fan is running
with about 2500 U/min (6000 U/min before). No problems. Let me know if
this is your concern.

Michael
!