K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI questions

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

Hi all,

Just ordered the above mobo and have a couple questions as I usually use
asus boards.

1. When setting up and installing windows will my SATA HD been seen etc or
will I need to download drivers?

2. When updating the BIOS is the a winows application that will do the job
(like asus update) or can is be only completed with a floppy?

3. What is the latest / most stable BIOS?

4. Are there any issues with running RAM at 1T with HTT at 250mhz DDR400
(1:1)?

many thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about neo4 platinum questions
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    sacrum wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just ordered the above mobo and have a couple questions as I usually use
    > asus boards.
    >
    > 1. When setting up and installing windows will my SATA HD been seen etc or
    > will I need to download drivers?

    You will get a floppy disk with the driver, but I don't know if u'll
    need it.

    I've just bought it as well I'm going to install this week.

    Cheers.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    sacrum schrieb:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just ordered the above mobo and have a couple questions as I usually use
    > asus boards.
    >
    > 1. When setting up and installing windows will my SATA HD been seen etc or
    > will I need to download drivers?

    Yes. No Problems. You only need the Driver disk if you running your SATA
    Drives in a RAID configuration.

    > 2. When updating the BIOS is the a winows application that will do the job
    > (like asus update) or can is be only completed with a floppy?
    I always did the BIOS flashing with the disk. But I think (not 100 %
    sure) you can do it also from windows.

    > 3. What is the latest / most stable BIOS?

    3.1
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=641&kind=1

    > 4. Are there any issues with running RAM at 1T with HTT at 250mhz DDR400
    > (1:1)?

    My only issue was that i have to use DIMM 3 and 4 to run my memory in
    DUAL Cannel mode. I use a pair of Corsair CMX512-3200XL (1 GIG) (2-2-2-5
    1T. For 250 i run 2,5-3-3-6 default Voltage (2,7V).

    By the way. Its the most stable board ever. I am able to run my Winnie
    3000+ (1800Mhz) @ 2700 Prime and Pi Stable. Have fun.

    > many thanks

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Michael Steinbrück" <michael_steinbrueck@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > sacrum schrieb:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Just ordered the above mobo and have a couple questions as I usually use
    > > asus boards.
    > >
    > > 1. When setting up and installing windows will my SATA HD been seen etc
    or
    > > will I need to download drivers?
    >
    > Yes. No Problems. You only need the Driver disk if you running your SATA
    > Drives in a RAID configuration.
    > >
    > > 2. When updating the BIOS is the a winows application that will do the
    job
    > > (like asus update) or can is be only completed with a floppy?
    > I always did the BIOS flashing with the disk. But I think (not 100 %
    > sure) you can do it also from windows.
    > >
    > > 3. What is the latest / most stable BIOS?
    > >

    > 3.1

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=641&kind=1

    > > 4. Are there any issues with running RAM at 1T with HTT at 250mhz DDR400
    > > (1:1)?
    >
    > My only issue was that i have to use DIMM 3 and 4 to run my memory in
    > DUAL Cannel mode. I use a pair of Corsair CMX512-3200XL (1 GIG) (2-2-2-5
    > 1T. For 250 i run 2,5-3-3-6 default Voltage (2,7V).
    >
    > By the way. Its the most stable board ever. I am able to run my Winnie
    > 3000+ (1800Mhz) @ 2700 Prime and Pi Stable. Have fun.
    > >
    > > many thanks

    Thanks for info - great help. In fact I have the same DDR Corsair TwinX
    pc3200 XLPT (2 x 512mb)
    I've now changed my order to the Diamond MSI board which seems to be exactly
    the same bar some additions. One concern I do have is the positioning of
    the system chip / cooler blocking placement of second sli graphics card.....
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    sacrum schrieb:
    > "Michael Steinbrück" <michael_steinbrueck@t-online.de> wrote in message
    >
    >>sacrum schrieb:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>Just ordered the above mobo and have a couple questions as I usually use
    >>>asus boards.
    >>>
    >>>1. When setting up and installing windows will my SATA HD been seen etc
    >
    > or
    >
    >>>will I need to download drivers?
    >>
    >>Yes. No Problems. You only need the Driver disk if you running your SATA
    >>Drives in a RAID configuration.
    >>
    >>>2. When updating the BIOS is the a winows application that will do the
    >
    > job
    >
    >>>(like asus update) or can is be only completed with a floppy?
    >>
    >>I always did the BIOS flashing with the disk. But I think (not 100 %
    >>sure) you can do it also from windows.
    >>
    >>>3. What is the latest / most stable BIOS?
    >>>

    >>3.1
    >>

    > http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=641&kind=1
    >
    >>>4. Are there any issues with running RAM at 1T with HTT at 250mhz DDR400
    >>>(1:1)?
    >>
    >>My only issue was that i have to use DIMM 3 and 4 to run my memory in
    >>DUAL Cannel mode. I use a pair of Corsair CMX512-3200XL (1 GIG) (2-2-2-5
    >>1T. For 250 i run 2,5-3-3-6 default Voltage (2,7V).
    >>
    >>By the way. Its the most stable board ever. I am able to run my Winnie
    >>3000+ (1800Mhz) @ 2700 Prime and Pi Stable. Have fun.
    >>
    >>>many thanks
    >>>

    > Thanks for info - great help. In fact I have the same DDR Corsair TwinX
    > pc3200 XLPT (2 x 512mb)
    > I've now changed my order to the Diamond MSI board which seems to be exactly
    > the same bar some additions. One concern I do have is the positioning of
    > the system chip / cooler blocking placement of second sli graphics card.....

    Could you please tell me what Board you have ordered. Do you mean the
    NortBridge Fan ? The Colling solutions on the Nforce 4 Boards are all
    the same. The second graphic card is no problem as long as you use the
    orginal fan. You can´t use something like an passive cooler (like the
    Zalman Northbridge Cooler). Its to high. I am using the Zalman Fan Mate
    2 to reduce the noise.

    (http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=70&code=017).

    Its between the board and the Fan. Now the Northbrige Fan is running
    with about 2500 U/min (6000 U/min before). No problems. Let me know if
    this is your concern.

    Michael

MSI-Microstar Overclocking Hardware Motherboards