No drive can read since last w/end's Automatic Update - XP..

March 7, 2005 9:15:02 PM

Since I installed the last Automatic Updates during the week-end, my drives
don't read anything anymore ! When I try right clicking on a drive while in
My
Computer (they are all shown and Properties does not indicate any problem
with them) and then I do Explore on either my floppy (which is my drive A:)
or my DVD
drive (which is my drive E:)  a small pop-up screen titled 'Windows Explorer'
states "A:\ (or D:\) is not acessible - Incorrect function".

When I do the same thing on the CD Drive (which is my D: drive), the normal
Explorer window comes up, but does not show any files at all on the disk !

I tried de-installing the drivers and rebooting. XP saw the new devices,
reinstalled drivers but the same thing still happens...

What's going on ???? Anyone else encountered this ? Thks for helping.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 11:01:16 PM

Have you also install Roxio Easy CD Creator at the same time:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315350

Or Norton Antivirus:

http://tinyurl.com/44a5k

AVG antivirus can also cause this error. If the issue is still there,
perform "msconfig" to disable all background software temporarily.

1. Click Start and select Run.
2. Type MSConfig and press Enter.
3. Click the Startup tab.
4. Click Disable All
5. Click OK.
6. Restart the system.

If you are getting a message "System Configuration Utility you are using the
selective startup for troubleshooting your system", I suggest you check the
check box in that window and click OK. This occurs if you are using the
Selective startup option and not using the normal startup to reduce the
number of startup programs.

Now try using the drives. Let us know if this helps.

"MichelC" <MichelC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since I installed the last Automatic Updates during the week-end, my
> drives
> don't read anything anymore ! When I try right clicking on a drive while
> in
> My
> Computer (they are all shown and Properties does not indicate any problem
> with them) and then I do Explore on either my floppy (which is my drive
> A:)
> or my DVD
> drive (which is my drive E:)  a small pop-up screen titled 'Windows
> Explorer'
> states "A:\ (or D:\) is not acessible - Incorrect function".
>
> When I do the same thing on the CD Drive (which is my D: drive), the
> normal
> Explorer window comes up, but does not show any files at all on the disk !
>
> I tried de-installing the drivers and rebooting. XP saw the new devices,
> reinstalled drivers but the same thing still happens...
>
> What's going on ???? Anyone else encountered this ? Thks for helping.

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 11:05:17 PM

Also try this:

Right-Click on the drive with the problem> Properties > Recording Tab and
then check "Enable CD Recording On This Drive" box.

"Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

> Have you also install Roxio Easy CD Creator at the same time:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315350
>
> Or Norton Antivirus:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/44a5k
>
> AVG antivirus can also cause this error. If the issue is still there,
> perform "msconfig" to disable all background software temporarily.
>
> 1. Click Start and select Run.
> 2. Type MSConfig and press Enter.
> 3. Click the Startup tab.
> 4. Click Disable All
> 5. Click OK.
> 6. Restart the system.
>
> If you are getting a message "System Configuration Utility you are using
> the selective startup for troubleshooting your system", I suggest you
> check the check box in that window and click OK. This occurs if you are
> using the Selective startup option and not using the normal startup to
> reduce the number of startup programs.
>
> Now try using the drives. Let us know if this helps.
>

> "MichelC" <MichelC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Since I installed the last Automatic Updates during the week-end, my
>> drives
>> don't read anything anymore ! When I try right clicking on a drive while
>> in
>> My
>> Computer (they are all shown and Properties does not indicate any problem
>> with them) and then I do Explore on either my floppy (which is my drive
>> A:)
>> or my DVD
>> drive (which is my drive E:)  a small pop-up screen titled 'Windows
>> Explorer'
>> states "A:\ (or D:\) is not acessible - Incorrect function".
>>
>> When I do the same thing on the CD Drive (which is my D: drive), the
>> normal
>> Explorer window comes up, but does not show any files at all on the disk
>> !
>>
>> I tried de-installing the drivers and rebooting. XP saw the new devices,
>> reinstalled drivers but the same thing still happens...
>>
>> What's going on ???? Anyone else encountered this ? Thks for helping.

March 8, 2005 11:05:18 PM

Yeah, Norton was the conflict !

I had not mentionned that at the same time I installed the latest MS patch,
Norton also had an update and that was the culprit ! I followed the
instructions posted on their site and all is well now.

Thanks for the information !!!!

Michel

"Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" wrote:

> Also try this:
>
> Right-Click on the drive with the problem> Properties > Recording Tab and
> then check "Enable CD Recording On This Drive" box.
>

> "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Have you also install Roxio Easy CD Creator at the same time:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315350
> >
> > Or Norton Antivirus:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/44a5k
> >
> > AVG antivirus can also cause this error. If the issue is still there,
> > perform "msconfig" to disable all background software temporarily.
> >
> > 1. Click Start and select Run.
> > 2. Type MSConfig and press Enter.
> > 3. Click the Startup tab.
> > 4. Click Disable All
> > 5. Click OK.
> > 6. Restart the system.
> >
> > If you are getting a message "System Configuration Utility you are using
> > the selective startup for troubleshooting your system", I suggest you
> > check the check box in that window and click OK. This occurs if you are
> > using the Selective startup option and not using the normal startup to
> > reduce the number of startup programs.
> >
> > Now try using the drives. Let us know if this helps.
> >

> > "MichelC" <MichelC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Since I installed the last Automatic Updates during the week-end, my
> >> drives
> >> don't read anything anymore ! When I try right clicking on a drive while
> >> in
> >> My
> >> Computer (they are all shown and Properties does not indicate any problem
> >> with them) and then I do Explore on either my floppy (which is my drive
> >> A:)
> >> or my DVD
> >> drive (which is my drive E:)  a small pop-up screen titled 'Windows
> >> Explorer'
> >> states "A:\ (or D:\) is not acessible - Incorrect function".
> >>
> >> When I do the same thing on the CD Drive (which is my D: drive), the
> >> normal
> >> Explorer window comes up, but does not show any files at all on the disk
> >> !
> >>
> >> I tried de-installing the drivers and rebooting. XP saw the new devices,
> >> reinstalled drivers but the same thing still happens...
> >>
> >> What's going on ???? Anyone else encountered this ? Thks for helping.

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:03:04 AM

Michel, you are welcome :)

Abhilash