xmame and distorted sound

Jim

Quick question (I'm about to go out, so sorry for the brevity):

xmame running under FreeBSD 5.x

Sound is compiled into the kernel. Utils like 'wavplay' produce clear
audio from sound samples.

However, xmame is producing *distorted* sound if run from 'xmame -dp sdl
....' and no sound at all if tried with the oss modules. I've tried -ti
and -noti.

Sound card is some sort of onboard sound, but have also tried ESS based
PCI card, same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
Lost: Stack Pointer. Small reward offered if found.

Jim wrote on 15. March 2005:

> Quick question (I'm about to go out, so sorry for the brevity):
>
> xmame running under FreeBSD 5.x
>
> Sound is compiled into the kernel. Utils like 'wavplay' produce clear
> audio from sound samples.
>
> However, xmame is producing *distorted* sound if run from 'xmame -dp sdl
> ...' and no sound at all if tried with the oss modules. I've tried -ti
> and -noti.
>
> Sound card is some sort of onboard sound, but have also tried ESS based
> PCI card, same results.
>
> Any ideas?

Does SDL know about the driver?

Tried a sound daemon like ESD?

Don't know if this exists for Unix, using Linux here.
--
By(e) Andreas

Jim

Andreas Kohlbach <ankman@email.com> wrote:

> > Sound card is some sort of onboard sound, but have also tried ESS based
> > PCI card, same results.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Does SDL know about the driver?
>
> Tried a sound daemon like ESD?
>
> Don't know if this exists for Unix, using Linux here.

Fixed it - I compiled in esound from the ports, then recompiled xmame to
include esound support. A few config file tweaks later, a little command
line hacking and, most importantly of all, changing the batteries in my
speakers and hey presto! It worked.

Thanks.

Jim