connection lost when computer goes to sleep

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 25, 2005 8:09:02 PM

Just set up new emachine with linksys wirelsess G usb network adapter, which
works fine except when I leave the machine on, unattended, and the monitor
goes to sleep. When I return, the connection has to be repaired. Any ideas?
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 8:52:35 PM

DHaglund wrote:
> Just set up new emachine with linksys wirelsess G usb network adapter, which
> works fine except when I leave the machine on, unattended, and the monitor
> goes to sleep. When I return, the connection has to be repaired. Any ideas?
it's going into energy save , stop that and the problem will be resolved
, look in the bios first
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 8:52:36 PM

"uHU" <uHu@uhu.net> wrote in message news:42451280_1@x-privat.org...
> DHaglund wrote:
>> Just set up new emachine with linksys wirelsess G usb network adapter,
>> which works fine except when I leave the machine on, unattended, and the
>> monitor goes to sleep. When I return, the connection has to be repaired.
>> Any ideas?
> it's going into energy save , stop that and the problem will be resolved ,
> look in the bios first

Try this also. Go to your wireless network properties, then click configure
for the wireless-g usb adapter then the advanced tab and set "power save
mode" to disable.
March 26, 2005 8:52:37 PM

Joe, I got to the advanced tab to configure the power saving mode, but
disable is not an option. The drop down list contains CAM (constantly awake)
which is the current setting, Fast_psp (Power Sve Mode) and Max_PSP (Max
Power Saving Mode). What to do? Also, re uHU advise, what/where is the BIOS
where I should look first, and how do I do that? I'm a novice and need baby
steps. Thanks.

"JoeT" wrote:

> "uHU" <uHu@uhu.net> wrote in message news:42451280_1@x-privat.org...
> > DHaglund wrote:
> >> Just set up new emachine with linksys wirelsess G usb network adapter,
> >> which works fine except when I leave the machine on, unattended, and the
> >> monitor goes to sleep. When I return, the connection has to be repaired.
> >> Any ideas?
> > it's going into energy save , stop that and the problem will be resolved ,
> > look in the bios first
>
> Try this also. Go to your wireless network properties, then click configure
> for the wireless-g usb adapter then the advanced tab and set "power save
> mode" to disable.

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 8:52:38 PM

You may also want to disable the Hibernate mode on the system: Go to Control
Panel and run the Power Options application. On the Hibernate tab clear the
box marked Enable Hibernation.

Depending on the manufacturer the BIOS settings may be in a Utilities
application or you may have to Re-Boot your system and go into System Setup
before it loads the O/S.

Hope this helps,
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"DHaglund" <DHaglund@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Joe, I got to the advanced tab to configure the power saving mode, but
> disable is not an option. The drop down list contains CAM (constantly
> awake)
> which is the current setting, Fast_psp (Power Sve Mode) and Max_PSP (Max
> Power Saving Mode). What to do? Also, re uHU advise, what/where is the
> BIOS
> where I should look first, and how do I do that? I'm a novice and need
> baby
> steps. Thanks.
>
> "JoeT" wrote:

>> > it's going into energy save , stop that and the problem will be
>> > resolved ,
>> > look in the bios first
>>
>> Try this also. Go to your wireless network properties, then click
>> configure
>> for the wireless-g usb adapter then the advanced tab and set "power save
>> mode" to disable.

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 8:52:38 PM

"DHaglund" <DHaglund@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Joe, I got to the advanced tab to configure the power saving mode, but
> disable is not an option. The drop down list contains CAM (constantly
> awake)
> which is the current setting, Fast_psp (Power Sve Mode) and Max_PSP (Max
> Power Saving Mode). What to do? Also, re uHU advise, what/where is the
> BIOS
> where I should look first, and how do I do that? I'm a novice and need
> baby
> steps. Thanks.
>
> "JoeT" wrote:

>> > it's going into energy save , stop that and the problem will be
>> > resolved ,
>> > look in the bios first
>>
>> Try this also. Go to your wireless network properties, then click
>> configure
>> for the wireless-g usb adapter then the advanced tab and set "power save
>> mode" to disable.

OK I was hoping you had the same wireless-g usb as one that I have (Linksys
WUSB54G) but mine doesn't say what yours does so it's probably a diff model
or yours is a newer revision. I'd guess if what you're saying is those are
all options in the same drop down I'd leave it at CAM (constantly awake) and
check your system power management settings.

Go to the control panel and select power options, all of my settings say
never except the turn off monitor, I set mine to 30 minutes (your preference
should be fine) and it never has the effect you're describing. I bet you'll
find your disk, system standby or hybernate options have times set in them.
At the least I'd disable hybernation (set to never), it seems to cause more
problems on more systems than it solves. Sleep mode is also often
problematic. As always your mileage may vary.

joe
!