Disk Drive Letters....

I was wondering if there is a way to force Drives to keep a certain letter
all the time. I previously had 4 partitions for hard drives, C:, D:, E:,
and F:, then two CD drives, G: and H:. I recently reformatted the
partition so I could dual boot Redhat from it so it disappeared from the
list of course. Now the H: CD drive has become the E: CD drive. I really
hate having the CD drive listed in between my hard drives like that. It
would be nice to just force the CD drives to always show up as Y: and Z: or
something, especially since I'll likely be making more partitions off of my
recently added new drive. Sticking them at the end of the alphabet just
ensures that they are always out of the way.
--
Ramen Junkie

Did you try going into Disk Management and changing the drive letter to that
of your liking? You can do that with any drive that is not designed the
system or boot drives (system drive is the drive with the Windows Boot
files, the boot drive is the drive with the WINDOWS or WINNT folder) - most
of the time, one in the same.
Example: My DVD-RW and CD-RW are Q: and R:, my SanDisk multimedia drive is
S:, with my Zip drive being Z:, my two external Maxtor drives are M: and N:,
with my internal drives being C: and D:, lastly my 3.5 and 5.25 floppy
drives are A: and B:, and the Digital all-in-one drive on my HP Network
Printer is Y:, and I have a mapped SAMBA share to a Linux box as J: - so as
you see, they can be mixed/matched as you see fit - to an extent. Just
remember, if you've installed software looking for a CD on E:, then you may
need to uninstall it or them, before making the drive change, then
reinstalling after the drive change, unless you feel comfortable making
shortcut changes, and most likely, registry edits.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

"Josh "Ramen" Miller" <Just_Reply@To_The_Post.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering if there is a way to force Drives to keep a certain letter
> all the time. I previously had 4 partitions for hard drives, C:, D:, E:,
> and F:, then two CD drives, G: and H:. I recently reformatted the
> partition so I could dual boot Redhat from it so it disappeared from the
> list of course. Now the H: CD drive has become the E: CD drive. I really
> hate having the CD drive listed in between my hard drives like that. It
> would be nice to just force the CD drives to always show up as Y: and Z:
or
> something, especially since I'll likely be making more partitions off of
my
> recently added new drive. Sticking them at the end of the alphabet just
> ensures that they are always out of the way.
> --
> Ramen Junkie

You can do this quite easily.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
Under Computer Management, click Disk Management. In the right pane, you'll
see your drives listed. CD-ROM drives are listed at the bottom of the pane.
Right-click the drive or device you want to change, and then click Change
Drive Letter and Paths.
Click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the drive
letter you want to assign, and then click OK.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844

"Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

> You can do this quite easily.
>
> Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
> Under Computer Management, click Disk Management. In the right pane,
you'll
> see your drives listed. CD-ROM drives are listed at the bottom of the
pane.
> Right-click the drive or device you want to change, and then click Change
> Drive Letter and Paths.
> Click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the drive
> letter you want to assign, and then click OK.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844

That seemed too easy.

> That seemed too easy.

Doesn't that get to you sometimes?