Pen Drive 256MB

I have Windows XP Professional SP1; I had acquired a Pen Drive but is
impossible to use it because the system to generate the message as follow:
"The Disk in Drive "G" is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?", I
click on Ok button and start to format it. Now appear a new error message as
follow:
"Windows was unable to complete the format".
In this case for me is impossible to use this device.
I had read the on line support but withou successfully.
Can you help me?
2 answers Last reply
More about drive 256mb

    "angelo.covetti@dhl.com" <angelo.covetti@dhl.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:014065D0-3709-4751-8BEF-E439662402BE@microsoft.com...
    >I have Windows XP Professional SP1; I had acquired a Pen Drive but is
    > impossible to use it because the system to generate the message as follow:
    > "The Disk in Drive "G" is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?", I
    > click on Ok button and start to format it. Now appear a new error message
    > as
    > follow:
    > "Windows was unable to complete the format".
    > In this case for me is impossible to use this device.
    > I had read the on line support but withou successfully.
    > Can you help me?

    Many, but not all, flash drives (pen drives) have a small switch on them
    that write-protects them. Make sure yours is not write-protected before
    trying to format it.

    The pen drive may be defective; if possible get it replaced. If you want to
    troubleshoot, connect the pen drive to a different computer and try
    using/formatting it.

    If you do not have another computer, perform "msconfig" to disable all
    background software temporarily.(some background software might be
    interfering with format)

    1. Click Start and select Run.
    2. Type MSConfig and press Enter.
    3. Click the Startup tab.
    4. Click Disable All
    5. Click OK.
    6. Restart the system.

    If you are getting a message "System Configuration Utility you are using the
    selective startup for troubleshooting your system", I suggest you check the
    check box in that window and click OK. This occurs if you are using the
    Selective startup option and not using the normal startup to reduce the
    number of startup programs.

    Now try formatting the pen drive. Let us know the results.

    "angelo.covetti@dhl.com" <angelo.covetti@dhl.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:014065D0-3709-4751-8BEF-E439662402BE@microsoft.com...
    >I have Windows XP Professional SP1; I had acquired a Pen Drive but is
    > impossible to use it because the system to generate the message as follow:
    > "The Disk in Drive "G" is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?", I
    > click on Ok button and start to format it. Now appear a new error message
    > as
    > follow:
    > "Windows was unable to complete the format".
    > In this case for me is impossible to use this device.
    > I had read the on line support but withou successfully.
    > Can you help me?

Format Windows XP