Neo4 install, No audio/Ethernet & RAID

Just installed XP Home SP2 on a Neo4 Platinum Nforce 4, I've having no luck
in getting the Nforce 4 drivers to work. I installed the standalone package
from Nvidia site but still have errors on audio/ethernet & RAID in device
manager.

Even when I try to install the drivers manually I'm told that suitable
drivers cannot be found! This is crazy. The first time Ive ever installed a
new mobo and the chipset feature drivers just don't work.
4 answers Last reply
More about neo4 install audio ethernet raid

    mike wrote:
    > Just installed XP Home SP2 on a Neo4 Platinum Nforce 4, I've having no luck
    > in getting the Nforce 4 drivers to work. I installed the standalone package
    > from Nvidia site but still have errors on audio/ethernet & RAID in device
    > manager.
    >
    > Even when I try to install the drivers manually I'm told that suitable
    > drivers cannot be found! This is crazy. The first time Ive ever installed a
    > new mobo and the chipset feature drivers just don't work.

    FIRST REMOVE Service Pack 2. SP 2 has allot of problems. Get the free
    version of Zone Alarm and a good anti virus program. I like AVG. Norton
    is ok but it has allot of overhead. Now you have for all intent and
    purposes have the equivalent of SP 2 and guess what your computer will
    work. SP2 is the WORST patch Microsoft ever came out with. You might
    also want to consider using Firefox and Thunderbird as browser and mail
    client respectively. These two are far superior to Microsoft's offering.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    LKBOOP wrote:
    > mike wrote:
    >
    >> Just installed XP Home SP2 on a Neo4 Platinum Nforce 4, I've having no
    >> luck
    >> in getting the Nforce 4 drivers to work. I installed the standalone
    >> package
    >> from Nvidia site but still have errors on audio/ethernet & RAID in device
    >> manager.
    >>
    >> Even when I try to install the drivers manually I'm told that suitable
    >> drivers cannot be found! This is crazy. The first time Ive ever
    >> installed a
    >> new mobo and the chipset feature drivers just don't work.
    >>

    > FIRST REMOVE Service Pack 2. SP 2 has allot of problems.

    Such as?

    > Get the free
    > version of Zone Alarm and a good anti virus program. I like AVG. Norton
    > is ok but it has allot of overhead.

    The idle process of my machine has 6:27:00 or CPU time. Norton has 0:00:01.

    Thats not a lot of overhead, really.

    > Now you have for all intent and
    > purposes have the equivalent of SP 2 and guess what your computer will
    > work.

    Err... I think you are sorely mistaken about what SP2 actually is.

    > SP2 is the WORST patch Microsoft ever came out with.

    How is it the worst?

    > You might
    > also want to consider using Firefox and Thunderbird as browser and mail
    > client respectively. These two are far superior to Microsoft's offering.

    Something sensible.

    If you were using SP2 though, IE would behave much better.

    I've switched to Firefox and Thunderbird myself - there are a couple of
    niggles, but I'm hoping 1.02 sorts that.

    Ben
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > LKBOOP wrote:
    >
    >> mike wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just installed XP Home SP2 on a Neo4 Platinum Nforce 4, I've having
    >>> no luck
    >>> in getting the Nforce 4 drivers to work. I installed the standalone
    >>> package
    >>> from Nvidia site but still have errors on audio/ethernet & RAID in
    >>> device
    >>> manager.
    >>>
    >>> Even when I try to install the drivers manually I'm told that suitable
    >>> drivers cannot be found! This is crazy. The first time Ive ever
    >>> installed a
    >>> new mobo and the chipset feature drivers just don't work.
    >>>

    >> FIRST REMOVE Service Pack 2. SP 2 has allot of problems.
    >

    > Such as? First problem is installing on a system that already has Windows installed and other
    software such Textbridge Pro 8.0, it also has a problem with drivers
    on my HP scanner. That's not to mention the system hang ups while trying
    to install. The only way you can be certain of an easy installation
    is to install it with only windows XP and the other patchs from
    Microsoft as the only thing on the hard drive and then install the rest
    of the other software last.

    > > Get the free
    >
    >> version of Zone Alarm and a good anti virus program. I like AVG.
    >> Norton is ok but it has allot of overhead.
    >

    > The idle process of my machine has 6:27:00 or CPU time. Norton has
    > 0:00:01.
    >
    > Thats not a lot of overhead, really. That could be a miss statement on my part because I mhave never actually
    verified it myself I have taken the word of associates who should but
    perhaps do not know.

    > > Now you have for all intent and
    >
    >> purposes have the equivalent of SP 2 and guess what your computer will
    >> work.
    >

    > Err... I think you are sorely mistaken about what SP2 actually is. I don't think so simply because
    all it does is attempt to fix problems by turning on auto update and
    turn on the poor fire wall that Microsoft has created. The firewall
    blocks incoming scans however if a program, virus or adware is
    downloaded inadvertly it is perfectly ok for it to talk to the outside
    world across the firewall and you are not warned and you would think
    everything is just ok. In other words their firewall, doesn't challenge
    outgoing data packets. If you have any doubts about this just go to
    Shields Up and test the Microsoft firewall. It fails badly. Also port
    113 is not hidden.

    > > SP2 is the WORST patch Microsoft ever came out with.
    >
    > How is it the worst? I think the above quite well describes the situation
    >
    > > You might
    >
    >> also want to consider using Firefox and Thunderbird as browser and
    >> mail client respectively. These two are far superior to Microsoft's
    >> offering.
    >

    > Something sensible.
    >
    > If you were using SP2 though, IE would behave much better. If you can get it installed
    >
    > I've switched to Firefox and Thunderbird myself - there are a couple of
    > niggles, but I'm hoping 1.02 sorts that.
    >
    > Ben
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Would you please use carraige returns.

    If you start your reply on the same line as mine, every single newsgroup
    reader will faff up who said what.

    LKBOOP wrote:
    > First problem is installing on a system that already has
    > Windows installed and other
    > software such Textbridge Pro 8.0,

    What problems?

    it also has a problem with drivers
    > on my HP scanner.

    What problems?

    > That's not to mention the system hang ups while trying
    > to install.
    > The only way you can be certain of an easy installation is
    > to install it with only windows XP and the other patchs from Microsoft
    > as the only thing on the hard drive and then install the rest of the
    > other software last.

    I installed mine sliptstreamed so I wouldn't know.

    > That could be a miss statement on
    >> my part because I mhave never actually
    >
    > verified it myself I have taken the word of associates who should but
    > perhaps do not know.

    OK.

    > I don't think so simply because
    >
    > all it does is attempt to fix problems by turning on auto update and
    > turn on the poor fire wall that Microsoft has created.

    No, it doesn considerable more than that, perhaps you should look atthe
    release notes.

    > The firewall
    > blocks incoming scans however if a program, virus or adware is
    > downloaded inadvertly it is perfectly ok for it to talk to the outside
    > world across the firewall and you are not warned and you would think
    > everything is just ok.

    So use a different firewall package.

    > In other words their firewall, doesn't challenge
    > outgoing data packets. If you have any doubts about this just go to
    > Shields Up and test the Microsoft firewall. It fails badly.

    How can an external program test blocking of traffic on the way out?

    > Also port
    > 113 is not hidden.

    Big deal.

    > I think the above quite well describes the situation

    Not really, you mentioned a few things, but didn't really quailify why
    you think they are actualyl problems with SP2, and why it should not be
    installed.

    Perhaps you think that no firewall is better than SP2s firewall?

    Perhaps you forget that there have been lots of opther improvements in
    SP2 other than auto update and the firewall?

    Ben

MSI-Microstar NAS / RAID Drivers Ethernet Card Motherboards