USB thumb drive

Suddenly, my usb thumb drive is not working on 1 system. I hear the sound
when plugged in and can see the icon in the task bar to 'safely remove' it.
Rebooting hasn't worked either.
I removed the driver and then inserted the drive and did get the 'installing
new hardware' and it did install the hardware but I have no drive to view
the file....checked network folders, my computer, explorer, whatever, I
can't find the drive on the system.
I know if works since I've tried it on 3 other systems. All running the
same OS, XP Pro.
Thanks for any advise.

Paul
5 answers Last reply
More about thumb drive

    Does this USB drive show up in Disk Management??

    "Paul" <paul@jackpetty.com> wrote in message
    > Suddenly, my usb thumb drive is not working on 1 system. I hear the sound
    > when plugged in and can see the icon in the task bar to 'safely remove'
    > it. Rebooting hasn't worked either.
    > I removed the driver and then inserted the drive and did get the
    > 'installing new hardware' and it did install the hardware but I have no
    > drive to view the file....checked network folders, my computer, explorer,
    > whatever, I can't find the drive on the system.
    > I know if works since I've tried it on 3 other systems. All running the
    > same OS, XP Pro.
    > Thanks for any advise.
    >
    > Paul

    Yves, thanks for the post....no, it doesn't show up anywhere, even in Disk
    Management. But, it still makes a sound so XP does know something is
    happening????

    Paul

    > Does this USB drive show up in Disk Management??
    >

    > "Paul" <paul@jackpetty.com> wrote in message
    >> Suddenly, my usb thumb drive is not working on 1 system. I hear the
    >> sound when plugged in and can see the icon in the task bar to 'safely
    >> remove' it. Rebooting hasn't worked either.
    >> I removed the driver and then inserted the drive and did get the
    >> 'installing new hardware' and it did install the hardware but I have no
    >> drive to view the file....checked network folders, my computer, explorer,
    >> whatever, I can't find the drive on the system.
    >> I know if works since I've tried it on 3 other systems. All running the
    >> same OS, XP Pro.
    >> Thanks for any advise.
    >>
    >> Paul

    You do not need any drivers to use a USB thumb drive in XP, so uninstall any
    drivers you may have installed. Now check whether the thumb drive has
    affinity for a particular drive letter. Check the drive letter the thumb
    drive is claiming on different systems. Now check whether this drive letter
    has been already taken by another device on the affected computer. This may
    be a CD, DVD drive or network resource. You may need to change drive letter
    assignments.

    Also confirm whether the thumb drive is properly detected and installed in
    Device Manager and Disk Management.

    Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager

    Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc

    "Paul" <paul@jackpetty.com> wrote in message
    > Suddenly, my usb thumb drive is not working on 1 system. I hear the sound
    > when plugged in and can see the icon in the task bar to 'safely remove'
    > it. Rebooting hasn't worked either.
    > I removed the driver and then inserted the drive and did get the
    > 'installing new hardware' and it did install the hardware but I have no
    > drive to view the file....checked network folders, my computer, explorer,
    > whatever, I can't find the drive on the system.
    > I know if works since I've tried it on 3 other systems. All running the
    > same OS, XP Pro.
    > Thanks for any advise.
    >
    > Paul

    I did not fully explain...I know that the thumb drive does not need drivers
    for XP but I removed the device by 'safely removing hardware'...sorry for
    the confusion.
    Your suggestion that it might want to use a letter already in use worked.
    It wanted F which was a mapped network drive.
    Funny that it does use different letters on different systems. F on 1, G on
    another and J on a third.
    Anyway, thanks all for the help and guidance.

    Paul

    "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

    > You do not need any drivers to use a USB thumb drive in XP, so uninstall
    > any drivers you may have installed. Now check whether the thumb drive has
    > affinity for a particular drive letter. Check the drive letter the thumb
    > drive is claiming on different systems. Now check whether this drive
    > letter has been already taken by another device on the affected computer.
    > This may be a CD, DVD drive or network resource. You may need to change
    > drive letter assignments.
    >
    > Also confirm whether the thumb drive is properly detected and installed in
    > Device Manager and Disk Management.
    >
    > Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager
    >
    > Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc
    >
    > "Paul" <paul@jackpetty.com> wrote in message
    >> Suddenly, my usb thumb drive is not working on 1 system. I hear the
    >> sound when plugged in and can see the icon in the task bar to 'safely
    >> remove' it. Rebooting hasn't worked either.
    >> I removed the driver and then inserted the drive and did get the
    >> 'installing new hardware' and it did install the hardware but I have no
    >> drive to view the file....checked network folders, my computer, explorer,
    >> whatever, I can't find the drive on the system.
    >> I know if works since I've tried it on 3 other systems. All running the
    >> same OS, XP Pro.
    >> Thanks for any advise.
    >>
    >> Paul

    Paul, you are welcome :) I am glad my suggestion helped.

    >I did not fully explain...I know that the thumb drive does not need drivers
    >for XP but I removed the device by 'safely removing hardware'...sorry for
    >the confusion.
    > Your suggestion that it might want to use a letter already in use worked.
    > It wanted F which was a mapped network drive.
    > Funny that it does use different letters on different systems. F on 1, G
    > on another and J on a third.
    > Anyway, thanks all for the help and guidance.
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You do not need any drivers to use a USB thumb drive in XP, so uninstall
    >> any drivers you may have installed. Now check whether the thumb drive has
    >> affinity for a particular drive letter. Check the drive letter the thumb
    >> drive is claiming on different systems. Now check whether this drive
    >> letter has been already taken by another device on the affected computer.
    >> This may be a CD, DVD drive or network resource. You may need to change
    >> drive letter assignments.
    >>
    >> Also confirm whether the thumb drive is properly detected and installed
    >> in Device Manager and Disk Management.
    >>
    >> Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager
    >>
    >> Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc
    >>
    >> "Paul" <paul@jackpetty.com> wrote in message
    >>> Suddenly, my usb thumb drive is not working on 1 system. I hear the
    >>> sound when plugged in and can see the icon in the task bar to 'safely
    >>> remove' it. Rebooting hasn't worked either.
    >>> I removed the driver and then inserted the drive and did get the
    >>> 'installing new hardware' and it did install the hardware but I have no
    >>> drive to view the file....checked network folders, my computer,
    >>> explorer, whatever, I can't find the drive on the system.
    >>> I know if works since I've tried it on 3 other systems. All running the
    >>> same OS, XP Pro.
    >>> Thanks for any advise.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

Hardware USB USB Drive Windows XP