Hard disk drive boot error

I have windows XP Professional installed an a Serial ATA HDD (Western Digital
Raptor 74 GB). When I boot, I get the following error: "Boot disk failure,
insert system disk and press enter." This disk is my C: drive. I also have
an additional Parallel ATA hard drive installed as my D: drive. When I go to
disk management, it shows my C: drive as my "boot" drive and my D: drive as
my "system" drive. May this be the problem? Can I change what drive is my
boot or system drives without reinstalling everything? As a sidenote, I did
press F6 and install my SATA drivers while installing XP; and my bios and
windows both recognize both drives. Any suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about hard disk drive boot error

    Go into your BIOS and verify the boot order.

    "BD" <BD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have windows XP Professional installed an a Serial ATA HDD (Western
    >Digital
    > Raptor 74 GB). When I boot, I get the following error: "Boot disk
    > failure,
    > insert system disk and press enter." This disk is my C: drive. I also
    > have
    > an additional Parallel ATA hard drive installed as my D: drive. When I go
    > disk management, it shows my C: drive as my "boot" drive and my D: drive
    > as
    > my "system" drive. May this be the problem? Can I change what drive is
    > my
    > boot or system drives without reinstalling everything? As a sidenote, I
    > did
    > press F6 and install my SATA drivers while installing XP; and my bios and
    > windows both recognize both drives. Any suggestions?

    If only it were that easy... I have the SATA 74 GB HDD as my primary boot
    HDD and the IDE as my secondary. I do however have my CD as my first boot
    device, although I've tried every combination of sequences available.

    Unfortunately ive been having the same difficulties, i used Norton System
    works 2003 ghost and got all XP and such like onto my new maxtor SATA drive,
    n had the biggest pain in the butt tryin to set it up, then couldnt get the
    pc to boot from it, regardless of trying all the different boot sequences in
    BIOS.

    Im running an ASUS A7N8XE-Duluxe and the bios options are something along
    the lines of HDD0-3, SCSI, LAN, etc and to be honest im not 100% which one to
    select, but ive tried all of them to no avail.

    If anybody thinks they could help with this matter please let me know

    Joey, BD

    We seem to have stumbled into an area where I can find very little
    information, allow me to explain.

    I recently bought a barebones PC and moved my disks, optical drives etc into
    the PC.

    I was told that I could use the repair option once the XP setup had started
    to get XP to work with the new motherboard etc.

    It worked however I now get the error "BOOT DISK FAILURE" when booting the PC.

    A quick google showed that if you leave the XP cd in the drive it boots
    properly but you need to leave it in.

    I'm going to do some more research.

    Mark

    Check your BIOS to make sure you have it set to boot off of your hard drive.

    Also, if that doesn't work, boot from your Window's installation CD and do a
    chkdsk /r.

    --
    Nocturnal

    http://www.spywaretalk.org

    "bigdoubleya" <bigdoubleya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Joey, BD
    >
    > We seem to have stumbled into an area where I can find very little
    > information, allow me to explain.
    >
    > I recently bought a barebones PC and moved my disks, optical drives etc
    > into
    > the PC.
    >
    > I was told that I could use the repair option once the XP setup had
    > started
    > to get XP to work with the new motherboard etc.
    >
    > It worked however I now get the error "BOOT DISK FAILURE" when booting the
    > PC.
    >
    > A quick google showed that if you leave the XP cd in the drive it boots
    > properly but you need to leave it in.
    >
    > I'm going to do some more research.
    >
    > Mark

Boot Hard Drives Windows XP