Network cycle between available and unavailable

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 6:26:04 AM

I have a desktop and notebook that I want to share file between them
and for the notebook to use the printer which is connected to the
desktop. Both are running Windows XP Home edition SP2. Both have Windows
firewall running. The desktop is using a wireless
keyboard and mouse and have Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter, WMP54G v4,
installed. The notebook has Linksys Wireless-G notebook adapter, WPC54G
v2. Both adapters are configured with the same SSID, WEP, and are in
ad-hoc mode. I use Windows to configure the desktop adapter and see no
way of setting a channel. The notebook is configured using the Linksys
software and is set to a certain channel. Latest drivers are installed.
Both computers have a different computer name and belong to the same
workgroup. With the desktop on and after
the notebook boots up, both computers shows they are connected to the
network. Then, the notebook will cycle between network available and
unavailable every 3 seconds. The desktop will show network unavailable
only. Any suggestions to fix the problem?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 1:30:47 PM

It could be any number of things.

It might be interference from a wireless phone, microwave oven, electric
motor, digital security system, the local airport, etc. Try changing the
channel. Also try putting the two systems right next to each other to make
sure they can communicate.

It might be an antenna problem on one of the systems.

It might be other software on your systems interfering with the
configurations. Double-check things like firewall software and anti-virus
applications.

You might try using Windows to set up the software on both systems, or using
the Linksys software to set up both systems.

You also may want to take a look at:

http://WWW.EZine.com/TechTips
http://WWW.EZine.com/QandA
or