Network cycle between available and unavailable

I have a desktop and notebook that I want to share file between them
and for the notebook to use the printer which is connected to the
desktop. Both are running Windows XP Home edition SP2. Both have Windows
firewall running. The desktop is using a wireless
keyboard and mouse and have Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter, WMP54G v4,
installed. The notebook has Linksys Wireless-G notebook adapter, WPC54G
v2. Both adapters are configured with the same SSID, WEP, and are in
ad-hoc mode. I use Windows to configure the desktop adapter and see no
way of setting a channel. The notebook is configured using the Linksys
software and is set to a certain channel. Latest drivers are installed.
Both computers have a different computer name and belong to the same
workgroup. With the desktop on and after
the notebook boots up, both computers shows they are connected to the
network. Then, the notebook will cycle between network available and
unavailable every 3 seconds. The desktop will show network unavailable
only. Any suggestions to fix the problem?
1 answer Last reply
More about network cycle unavailable

    It could be any number of things.

    It might be interference from a wireless phone, microwave oven, electric
    motor, digital security system, the local airport, etc. Try changing the
    channel. Also try putting the two systems right next to each other to make
    sure they can communicate.

    It might be an antenna problem on one of the systems.

    It might be other software on your systems interfering with the
    configurations. Double-check things like firewall software and anti-virus
    applications.

    You might try using Windows to set up the software on both systems, or using
    the Linksys software to set up both systems.

    You also may want to take a look at:

    http://WWW.EZine.com/TechTips
    http://WWW.EZine.com/QandA
    or
    http://www.ezlan.net/

    Hope this helps,
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    "Whizdog" <xfile549@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
    >I have a desktop and notebook that I want to share file between them
    > and for the notebook to use the printer which is connected to the
    > desktop. Both are running Windows XP Home edition SP2. Both have Windows
    > firewall running. The desktop is using a wireless
    > keyboard and mouse and have Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter, WMP54G v4,
    > installed. The notebook has Linksys Wireless-G notebook adapter, WPC54G
    > v2. Both adapters are configured with the same SSID, WEP, and are in
    > ad-hoc mode. I use Windows to configure the desktop adapter and see no
    > way of setting a channel. The notebook is configured using the Linksys
    > software and is set to a certain channel. Latest drivers are installed.
    > Both computers have a different computer name and belong to the same
    > workgroup. With the desktop on and after
    > the notebook boots up, both computers shows they are connected to the
    > network. Then, the notebook will cycle between network available and
    > unavailable every 3 seconds. The desktop will show network unavailable
    > only. Any suggestions to fix the problem?

Wireless Notebooks Desktops Wireless Networking