blank cd not recognized in cd burner

When I try to burn cd, blank cd isn't recognized in cd burner. With any other
cds theres no problem. Help
3 answers Last reply
More about blank recognized burner

    If you are just trying to copy files to a newly inserted blank CD directly,
    it will not work until you have formatted the CD with packet writing
    software such as Nero's InCD or Roxio's Drag to Disk.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "radek" <radek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to burn cd, blank cd isn't recognized in cd burner. With any
    > other
    > cds theres no problem. Help

    Richard, did I miss something? Since when do you have to "Format" CD's ? I
    believe that only CDRW's can be formatted?
    Please enlighten me....

    radek wrote:

    > When I try to burn cd, blank cd isn't recognized in cd burner. With any other
    > cds theres no problem. Help

    When you insert a blank cd, the drive attempts to read the ATIP
    (Absolute Time In Pre-groove), which contains important information
    about the disc, e.g. capacity and supported write speeds.

    The ATIP is stored at the very inner edge of the disc, so the laser head
    has to move to the extreme end of it's travel to read the ATIP. It's not
    uncommon for old grease and dust to accumulate at the ends of the guide
    rails and cause the drive to have problems reading the ATIP.

    I have repaired several CD writers with your symptoms by opening the
    drive, cleaning the guide rails with isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip, and
    re-lubricating them with a *tiny* amount of white lithium grease. In one
    case I also had to shave about 1mm off the rubber bump-stop to allow the
    laser head to travel a little further to access the ATIP.

    Sunny

Burner CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP