blank cd not recognized in cd burner

Radek

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

When I try to burn cd, blank cd isn't recognized in cd burner. With any other
cds theres no problem. Help

If you are just trying to copy files to a newly inserted blank CD directly,
it will not work until you have formatted the CD with packet writing
software such as Nero's InCD or Roxio's Drag to Disk.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"radek" <radek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to burn cd, blank cd isn't recognized in cd burner. With any
> other
> cds theres no problem. Help

Richard, did I miss something? Since when do you have to "Format" CD's ? I
believe that only CDRW's can be formatted?
Please enlighten me....

sunny

radek wrote:

> When I try to burn cd, blank cd isn't recognized in cd burner. With any other
> cds theres no problem. Help

When you insert a blank cd, the drive attempts to read the ATIP
(Absolute Time In Pre-groove), which contains important information
about the disc, e.g. capacity and supported write speeds.

The ATIP is stored at the very inner edge of the disc, so the laser head
has to move to the extreme end of it's travel to read the ATIP. It's not
uncommon for old grease and dust to accumulate at the ends of the guide
rails and cause the drive to have problems reading the ATIP.

I have repaired several CD writers with your symptoms by opening the
drive, cleaning the guide rails with isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip, and
re-lubricating them with a *tiny* amount of white lithium grease. In one
case I also had to shave about 1mm off the rubber bump-stop to allow the
laser head to travel a little further to access the ATIP.

Sunny

TRENDING THREADS