Andy

Hi,

I would like to if someone can help me.
I was trying to install clean xp on my computer with my maxtor 80gb external
hard drive connected.
I accidentaly deleted the partition on my j:drive(Maxtor external drive
connected as firewire) but did not format.
Now I cannot see anything on the drive I tried to recreate the partition but
still don't see anything.
My external drive is NTFS.

Thanks
Andy

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to if someone can help me.
I was trying to install clean xp on my computer with my maxtor 80gb external
hard drive connected.
I accidentaly deleted the partition on my j:drive(Maxtor external drive
connected as firewire) but did not format.
Now I cannot see anything on the drive I tried to recreate the partition but
still don't see anything.
My external drive is NTFS.

Your external drive is no longer NTFS if it doesn't have a partition. If
your doing a clean install it would be best done without any external disks
connected to the system. After the install then go through the install
process for the 80 gb maxtor. If all goes well you could try finding the
external disk in the Disk Management screen and partition and format it
there.

Andy

The problem is I need the data. If I format the drive the data will bbe lost.
Any other ideas ?

"JustMe" wrote:

> "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to if someone can help me.
> I was trying to install clean xp on my computer with my maxtor 80gb external
> hard drive connected.
> I accidentaly deleted the partition on my j:drive(Maxtor external drive
> connected as firewire) but did not format.
> Now I cannot see anything on the drive I tried to recreate the partition but
> still don't see anything.
> My external drive is NTFS.
>

> Your external drive is no longer NTFS if it doesn't have a partition. If
> your doing a clean install it would be best done without any external disks
> connected to the system. After the install then go through the install
> process for the 80 gb maxtor. If all goes well you could try finding the
> external disk in the Disk Management screen and partition and format it
> there.

Unfortunately, when you deleted the partition on the external drive, for all
intents and purposes, you deleted all the data. You may be able to recover
the data using various programs but don't try to partition or format the
drive until you have determined if the data is recoverable.

A few sites to help you recover the data with programs

http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm

http://www.partition-recovery.com/partition.htm

http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

Just make sure that they will work on external (USB) drives. Most of the
DOS based programs won't work on them.