Alec

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

Hello
My R/W cd drive refuses to open (both manualy or by software eject). When I
uninstall it then do a restart it will operate fine. Later, without any use
by me it returns to not allowing it opening again. Can anyone give me an
idea to what is going on or solution as how to fix this mystery?
Thanks Alec

Are you using any software that _might_ be trying to access the drive?
I am thinking particularly about backup or file burning software that
you are using with a different optical (or tape) drive. I have found
that both Backup MyPC and RecordNow Deluxe sometime leave my DVD R/W
drive's opening mechanism in a non-responsive state - usually cured by
rerunning the offeding proigram, opening and closing the drive from
within it, and then exiting from the program.

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:10:17 -0800, "Alec" <alec707@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello
>My R/W cd drive refuses to open (both manualy or by software eject). When I
>uninstall it then do a restart it will operate fine. Later, without any use
>by me it returns to not allowing it opening again. Can anyone give me an
>idea to what is going on or solution as how to fix this mystery?
>Thanks Alec

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher