Why does scanner initialize when XP displays folder tree?

March 9, 2005 11:17:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really do
anything.

However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows Explorer)
then the scanner starts to make a noise.

Furthermore, the scanner puts the bulb on and the bulb stays on for
quite some time (I don't know exactly how long).

Why is this happening?
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:17:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash) connected?
Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows refreshes the drive
connections and if an USB drive is also connected, Windows will refresh the
USB ports.

"Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
> When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really do
> anything.
>
> However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
> application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows Explorer)
> then the scanner starts to make a noise.
>
> Furthermore, the scanner puts the bulb on and the bulb stays on for
> quite some time (I don't know exactly how long).
>
> Why is this happening?
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:17:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

Franklin,

My HP scanner does the same thing if I move the mouse arrow over the scanner
entry. I have single click enabled for the mouse (ie. holding the mouse
arrow over a link, highlights the link, and then a single left mouse click
opens the link).

My guess is this is normal.

r.

> Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash) connected?
> Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows refreshes the drive
> connections and if an USB drive is also connected, Windows will refresh
> the USB ports.
>

> "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
>> When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really do
>> anything.
>>
>> However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
>> application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows Explorer)
>> then the scanner starts to make a noise.
>>
>> Furthermore, the scanner puts the bulb on and the bulb stays on for
>> quite some time (I don't know exactly how long).
>>
>> Why is this happening?

Related resources
May 12, 2005 3:30:36 PM

On Wed 09 Mar 2005 22:14:36, Yves Leclerc wrote:

> Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash)
> connected?

No, I do not have any USB drives connected. These are all my USB
devices:

(1) a USB printer
(2) a USB InfraRed 'dongle'
(3) my Epson 1250 scanner

> Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows
> refreshes the drive connections and if an USB drive is also
> connected, Windows will refresh the USB ports.

Maybe I can tweak XP in some way to correct this behavior of
activating the scanner whenever I open the folder tree in Windows
Explorer?
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 3:30:37 PM

> > "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really
> >> do anything.
> >>
> >> However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
> >> application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows
> >> Explorer) then the scanner starts to make a noise.
> >>
> >> Furthermore, the scanner puts the bulb on and the bulb stays on
> >> for quite some time (I don't know exactly how long).
> >>
> >> Why is this happening?
>

> On Wed 09 Mar 2005 22:14:36, Yves Leclerc wrote:
> >
> > Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash)
> > connected?
>

> No, I do not have any USB drives connected. These are all my USB
> devices:
>
> (1) a USB printer
> (2) a USB InfraRed 'dongle'
> (3) my Epson 1250 scanner
>
> > Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows
> > refreshes the drive connections and if an USB drive is also
> > connected, Windows will refresh the USB ports.
>
> Maybe I can tweak XP in some way to correct this behavior of
> activating the scanner whenever I open the folder tree in Windows
> Explorer?

This is probably not the answer you want, but if I were you,
I would not mess with anything and learn to ignore it.

Things you may try to suppress this behavior may only cause
other problems, perhaps worse ones.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 3:31:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

"Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
>> "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really
>>> do anything.
>>>
>>> However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
>>> application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows
>>> Explorer) then the scanner starts to make a noise.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, the scanner puts the bulb on and the bulb stays on
>>> for quite some time (I don't know exactly how long).
>>>
>>> Why is this happening?
>

> On Wed 09 Mar 2005 22:14:36, Yves Leclerc wrote:
>>
>> Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash)
>> connected?
>

> No, I do not have any USB drives connected. These are all my USB
> devices:
>
> (1) a USB printer
> (2) a USB InfraRed 'dongle'
> (3) my Epson 1250 scanner
>
>> Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows
>> refreshes the drive connections and if an USB drive is also
>> connected, Windows will refresh the USB ports.
>
> Maybe I can tweak XP in some way to correct this behavior of
> activating the scanner whenever I open the folder tree in Windows
> Explorer?

Maybe you can unplug the Epson 1250 scanner from USB.

USB is a "hot" system, which means you can plug or unplug any device at any
time with shutting down the computer.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message

>> On Wed 09 Mar 2005 22:14:36, Yves Leclerc wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash)
>>> connected?
>>

>> No, I do not have any USB drives connected. These are all my USB
>> devices:
>>
>> (1) a USB printer
>> (2) a USB InfraRed 'dongle'
>> (3) my Epson 1250 scanner
>>
>>> Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows
>>> refreshes the drive connections and if an USB drive is also
>>> connected, Windows will refresh the USB ports.
>>
>> Maybe I can tweak XP in some way to correct this behavior of
>> activating the scanner whenever I open the folder tree in Windows
>> Explorer?
>
> Maybe you can unplug the Epson 1250 scanner from USB.
>
> USB is a "hot" system, which means you can plug or unplug any device at
> any time with shutting down the computer.

Typo: without shutting down the computer.

> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

May 13, 2005 6:30:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

"Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
> > "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really
> >> do anything.
> >>
> >> However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
> >> application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows
> >> Explorer) then the scanner starts to make a noise.

Which node of the tree is it opened at?
!