Why does scanner initialize when XP displays folder tree?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really do
anything.

However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows Explorer)
then the scanner starts to make a noise.

Furthermore, the scanner puts the bulb on and the bulb stays on for
quite some time (I don't know exactly how long).

Why is this happening?
7 answers Last reply
More about scanner initialize displays folder tree
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash) connected?
    Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows refreshes the drive
    connections and if an USB drive is also connected, Windows will refresh the
    USB ports.

    "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
    > When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really do
    > anything.
    >
    > However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
    > application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows Explorer)
    > then the scanner starts to make a noise.
    >
    > Furthermore, the scanner puts the bulb on and the bulb stays on for
    > quite some time (I don't know exactly how long).
    >
    > Why is this happening?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    Franklin,

    My HP scanner does the same thing if I move the mouse arrow over the scanner
    entry. I have single click enabled for the mouse (ie. holding the mouse
    arrow over a link, highlights the link, and then a single left mouse click
    opens the link).

    My guess is this is normal.

    r.

    > Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash) connected?
    > Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows refreshes the drive
    > connections and if an USB drive is also connected, Windows will refresh
    > the USB ports.
    >

    > "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really do
    >> anything.
    >>
    >> However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
    >> application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows Explorer)
    >> then the scanner starts to make a noise.
    >>
    >> Furthermore, the scanner puts the bulb on and the bulb stays on for
    >> quite some time (I don't know exactly how long).
    >>
    >> Why is this happening?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    On Wed 09 Mar 2005 22:14:36, Yves Leclerc wrote:

    > Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash)
    > connected?

    No, I do not have any USB drives connected. These are all my USB
    devices:

    (1) a USB printer
    (2) a USB InfraRed 'dongle'
    (3) my Epson 1250 scanner

    > Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows
    > refreshes the drive connections and if an USB drive is also
    > connected, Windows will refresh the USB ports.

    Maybe I can tweak XP in some way to correct this behavior of
    activating the scanner whenever I open the folder tree in Windows
    Explorer?

    > > "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really
    > >> do anything.
    > >>
    > >> However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
    > >> application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows
    > >> Explorer) then the scanner starts to make a noise.
    > >>
    > >> Furthermore, the scanner puts the bulb on and the bulb stays on
    > >> for quite some time (I don't know exactly how long).
    > >>
    > >> Why is this happening?
    >

    > On Wed 09 Mar 2005 22:14:36, Yves Leclerc wrote:
    > >
    > > Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash)
    > > connected?
    >

    > No, I do not have any USB drives connected. These are all my USB
    > devices:
    >
    > (1) a USB printer
    > (2) a USB InfraRed 'dongle'
    > (3) my Epson 1250 scanner
    >
    > > Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows
    > > refreshes the drive connections and if an USB drive is also
    > > connected, Windows will refresh the USB ports.
    >
    > Maybe I can tweak XP in some way to correct this behavior of
    > activating the scanner whenever I open the folder tree in Windows
    > Explorer?

    This is probably not the answer you want, but if I were you,
    I would not mess with anything and learn to ignore it.

    Things you may try to suppress this behavior may only cause
    other problems, perhaps worse ones.

    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really
    >>> do anything.
    >>>
    >>> However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
    >>> application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows
    >>> Explorer) then the scanner starts to make a noise.
    >>>
    >>> Furthermore, the scanner puts the bulb on and the bulb stays on
    >>> for quite some time (I don't know exactly how long).
    >>>
    >>> Why is this happening?
    >

    > On Wed 09 Mar 2005 22:14:36, Yves Leclerc wrote:
    >>
    >> Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash)
    >> connected?
    >

    > No, I do not have any USB drives connected. These are all my USB
    > devices:
    >
    > (1) a USB printer
    > (2) a USB InfraRed 'dongle'
    > (3) my Epson 1250 scanner
    >
    >> Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows
    >> refreshes the drive connections and if an USB drive is also
    >> connected, Windows will refresh the USB ports.
    >
    > Maybe I can tweak XP in some way to correct this behavior of
    > activating the scanner whenever I open the folder tree in Windows
    > Explorer?

    Maybe you can unplug the Epson 1250 scanner from USB.

    USB is a "hot" system, which means you can plug or unplug any device at any
    time with shutting down the computer.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message

    >> On Wed 09 Mar 2005 22:14:36, Yves Leclerc wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Do you happen to have a USB drive (disk, floppy or flash)
    >>> connected?
    >>

    >> No, I do not have any USB drives connected. These are all my USB
    >> devices:
    >>
    >> (1) a USB printer
    >> (2) a USB InfraRed 'dongle'
    >> (3) my Epson 1250 scanner
    >>
    >>> Whenever Explorer shows the folder tree, Windows
    >>> refreshes the drive connections and if an USB drive is also
    >>> connected, Windows will refresh the USB ports.
    >>
    >> Maybe I can tweak XP in some way to correct this behavior of
    >> activating the scanner whenever I open the folder tree in Windows
    >> Explorer?
    >
    > Maybe you can unplug the Epson 1250 scanner from USB.
    >
    > USB is a "hot" system, which means you can plug or unplug any device at
    > any time with shutting down the computer.

    Typo: without shutting down the computer.

    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> When I boot up my XP PC, my Epson 1250 scanner doesn't really
    > >> do anything.
    > >>
    > >> However if I get XP to show me a folder tree (either in an
    > >> application such as Acdsee or on the left side of Windows
    > >> Explorer) then the scanner starts to make a noise.

    Which node of the tree is it opened at?

Scanners Windows XP