K8N Neo4 Platinum has a 137Gb HD limit?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 2, 2005 6:29:48 PM

Just purchased a Neo4 Platinum and am trying to install a WD 250Gb and a
Maxtor 300Gb HD. Off the bat, the drives aren't recognized as it's full
capacity (hit the 137Gb limit). What gives? Updated BIOS (V1.2) but still
no go.

Searched the net extensively and decided to use WD's drive utility. Had to
install a freakin floppy to my system (!!) to use the program. So far it
seems to work (doing a full format now).

Is this the way it's done for a almost state-of-the art PC?!? Any comments
or suggestions welcome. TIA!

My system:
Athlon 64 3200+
1 Gb Corsair RAM
MSI 6600 PCI-E video
PATA drives; Pioneer 108 DVD-R/W
no SATA (yet)

** Will be doing lots of video editing hence the need for lots of hd space
April 2, 2005 8:26:11 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. My OS is WinXP Pro SP2

Just did the full format and installed XP SP2 and it looked good for a while
until I see that of the 250Gb formatted only 127Gb was available. So
frustrating - did not have this problem with older (1-2 yr old) machines.
But then again, the OS installed in drives < 137 Gb.

Said to myself: 'my next system will have a 200Gb+ C: drive'. Boy, what a
headache

I'm re-evaluating my storage strategy now unless I can find a clean solution
to this problem. Hope you guys have more ideas - TIA!
April 2, 2005 11:11:01 PM

"Chris" <noseablimspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just purchased a Neo4 Platinum and am trying to install a WD 250Gb and a
> Maxtor 300Gb HD. Off the bat, the drives aren't recognized as it's full
> capacity (hit the 137Gb limit). What gives? Updated BIOS (V1.2) but
> still no go.
>
> Searched the net extensively and decided to use WD's drive utility. Had
> to install a freakin floppy to my system (!!) to use the program. So far
> it seems to work (doing a full format now).
>
> Is this the way it's done for a almost state-of-the art PC?!? Any
> comments or suggestions welcome. TIA!
>
> My system:
> Athlon 64 3200+
> 1 Gb Corsair RAM
> MSI 6600 PCI-E video
> PATA drives; Pioneer 108 DVD-R/W
> no SATA (yet)
>
> ** Will be doing lots of video editing hence the need for lots of hd space

What Operating System?

Steve
Related resources
April 3, 2005 5:11:26 AM

Chris wrote:
> Just purchased a Neo4 Platinum and am trying to install a WD 250Gb and a
> Maxtor 300Gb HD. Off the bat, the drives aren't recognized as it's full
> capacity (hit the 137Gb limit). What gives? Updated BIOS (V1.2) but still
> no go.
>
> Searched the net extensively and decided to use WD's drive utility. Had to
> install a freakin floppy to my system (!!) to use the program. So far it
> seems to work (doing a full format now).
>
> Is this the way it's done for a almost state-of-the art PC?!? Any comments
> or suggestions welcome. TIA!
>
> My system:
> Athlon 64 3200+
> 1 Gb Corsair RAM
> MSI 6600 PCI-E video
> PATA drives; Pioneer 108 DVD-R/W
> no SATA (yet)
>
> ** Will be doing lots of video editing hence the need for lots of hd space

What OS are you installing? If it's the ORIGINAL WinXP CD, it won't
recognize all the capacity. You either need WinXP SP1 CD or install
original XP as is. Then install SP2 and use a partition program
afterward to reconfigure the drive.
April 3, 2005 5:11:27 AM

Will try my factory XP Pro sp1 disk next ... Thanks

Was using a SP2 'slipstream' CD and no go. My WD drive now has a BIOS patch
on it which slows down the boot process (annoying). I hope the re-install
will erase it...
April 3, 2005 5:54:21 AM

I use WinXP SP1 and installed a MAxtor 160GB. I usd the CD supplied
with the drive and it worked fine. The registry needs the LBA code
tweaked and you shouldn't have any issues.

Chris wrote:
> Thanks for the replies so far. My OS is WinXP Pro SP2
>
> Just did the full format and installed XP SP2 and it looked good for a while
> until I see that of the 250Gb formatted only 127Gb was available. So
> frustrating - did not have this problem with older (1-2 yr old) machines.
> But then again, the OS installed in drives < 137 Gb.
>
> Said to myself: 'my next system will have a 200Gb+ C: drive'. Boy, what a
> headache
>
> I'm re-evaluating my storage strategy now unless I can find a clean solution
> to this problem. Hope you guys have more ideas - TIA!

April 3, 2005 5:54:22 AM

Thanks for that tip, Mike

I downloaded Maxtor's PowerMax 4.21 and created a boot CD (yey, bye-bye
floppy!). Did a low-level format on all drives to erase any bios patches,
etc

Next step: DL'd MaxBlast 4 and created another boot CD (thank goodness for
CD-R/W's!)

Well it turns out both WD & Maxtor use the same BIOS patching sw (ontrack)

Will proceed from there. Hopefully, this route will work ... I'm hoping the
low level format will help
April 3, 2005 5:54:23 AM

Used MaxBlast to partition the HD then when installing the OS (WinXP Pro)
from the CD, I used the 'leave existing format' option. Previously, I had
used the Quick or Full format option (NTFS) and they both didn't come out
right.

My conclusion is that the installer and the formatting procedures within
WinXP install CD doesn't quite have support for larger drives (that's why
there are patches for it). Whenever I try to let windows do the
partitioning/formatting, it would always come out short (less capacity)

The registry fix for XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

Whew, all those hours just to get a hard drive's full capacity ... sheesh.
April 3, 2005 4:53:08 PM

"Chris" <noseablimspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just purchased a Neo4 Platinum and am trying to install a WD 250Gb and a
> Maxtor 300Gb HD. Off the bat, the drives aren't recognized as it's full
> capacity (hit the 137Gb limit). What gives? Updated BIOS (V1.2) but
> still no go.
>
> Searched the net extensively and decided to use WD's drive utility. Had
> to install a freakin floppy to my system (!!) to use the program. So far
> it seems to work (doing a full format now).
>
> Is this the way it's done for a almost state-of-the art PC?!? Any
> comments or suggestions welcome. TIA!
>
> My system:
> Athlon 64 3200+
> 1 Gb Corsair RAM
> MSI 6600 PCI-E video
> PATA drives; Pioneer 108 DVD-R/W
> no SATA (yet)
>
> ** Will be doing lots of video editing hence the need for lots of hd space

From Maxtor
http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation...

Steve
April 3, 2005 8:39:30 PM

Seems odd that it took that much effort. I use WinXP SP1 and total time
was less than a half hour. 20 minutes to physically install, 5 minutes
to run the Maxtor software. I guess the bottom line is that you are all
set. The next one should be easy.

Chris wrote:
> Used MaxBlast to partition the HD then when installing the OS (WinXP Pro)
> from the CD, I used the 'leave existing format' option. Previously, I had
> used the Quick or Full format option (NTFS) and they both didn't come out
> right.
>
> My conclusion is that the installer and the formatting procedures within
> WinXP install CD doesn't quite have support for larger drives (that's why
> there are patches for it). Whenever I try to let windows do the
> partitioning/formatting, it would always come out short (less capacity)
>
> The registry fix for XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
>
> Whew, all those hours just to get a hard drive's full capacity ... sheesh.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2005 11:22:52 PM

Strange, I have just installed XP Pro SP1 on a Neo4 (MS-7125) and had no
problem with two 160Gb Hitachi drives - just sailed through the install.
Perhaps it's because they are SATA drives (in RAID 1 set up), but until I
read your message, I didn't know anything about a 137Gb limit.
Perhaps I was just lucky.
Joskin

"Steve" <fake_one@nospam.nospam.nospam> wrote in message

> "Chris" <noseablimspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Just purchased a Neo4 Platinum and am trying to install a WD 250Gb and a
>> Maxtor 300Gb HD. Off the bat, the drives aren't recognized as it's full
>> capacity (hit the 137Gb limit). What gives? Updated BIOS (V1.2) but
>> still no go.
>>
>> Searched the net extensively and decided to use WD's drive utility. Had
>> to install a freakin floppy to my system (!!) to use the program. So far
>> it seems to work (doing a full format now).
>>
>> Is this the way it's done for a almost state-of-the art PC?!? Any
>> comments or suggestions welcome. TIA!
>>
>> My system:
>> Athlon 64 3200+
>> 1 Gb Corsair RAM
>> MSI 6600 PCI-E video
>> PATA drives; Pioneer 108 DVD-R/W
>> no SATA (yet)
>>
>> ** Will be doing lots of video editing hence the need for lots of hd
>> space

April 3, 2005 11:22:53 PM

Yup, they definitely made sure the SATA interface worked. Besides, 48-bit
LBA (for higher capacity drives) is part of the SATA spec.

A new development:
I had both a 250Gb then a 120Gb HD connected in IDE 0 as master drives and
it was transferring in PIO mode - it was slow as heck when I had to move
Gb's of data (system became so unresponsive). I decided to switch the
DVD-R/W (was in slave) with the HD and all's well (DMA mode on both drives)

hmmmm..... OS related or HW related??
April 3, 2005 11:22:54 PM

Oh, and I see that IDE drivers from nVidia would cause my machine to crash.

Not sure about new config though - don't feel like going through yet another
boot cycle
April 4, 2005 6:42:00 AM

You stated that you had both HDD on IDE0 as Master. One should have
been Master and the other Slave. If you switched the CD-RW (Slave)
and a HDD (Master), that would make one Master and one Slave on IDE0.
That could have been the issue.

Chris wrote:
> Yup, they definitely made sure the SATA interface worked. Besides, 48-bit
> LBA (for higher capacity drives) is part of the SATA spec.
>
> A new development:
> I had both a 250Gb then a 120Gb HD connected in IDE 0 as master drives and
> it was transferring in PIO mode - it was slow as heck when I had to move
> Gb's of data (system became so unresponsive). I decided to switch the
> DVD-R/W (was in slave) with the HD and all's well (DMA mode on both drives)
>
> hmmmm..... OS related or HW related??

April 5, 2005 2:35:54 PM

Chris wrote:
> Used MaxBlast to partition the HD then when installing the OS (WinXP
> Pro) from the CD, I used the 'leave existing format' option. Previously, I
> had used the Quick or Full format option (NTFS) and
> they both didn't come out right.
>
> My conclusion is that the installer and the formatting procedures
> within WinXP install CD doesn't quite have support for larger drives

They do.

> (that's why there are patches for it). Whenever I try to let windows
> do the partitioning/formatting, it would always come out short (less
> capacity)

Your slipstream disc is not working properly !

WinXP SP2 Setup *does* contain full and complete support for >137GB drives.
Assuming you've set the HardDrive to "AUTO" in the BIOS, it will work
perfectly without any of the extra steps you've performed.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2005 11:38:47 PM

> Will try my factory XP Pro sp1 disk next ... Thanks
>
> Was using a SP2 'slipstream' CD and no go. My WD drive now has a BIOS
> patch on it which slows down the boot process (annoying). I hope the
> re-install will erase it...
But XP SP 2 also supports 48 bit LBA (drives over 137 GB), so I cant
understand why that didn't work. Does the BIOS detect the full capacity of
the drives (shown in the POST screens)? If not, have you gone into the BIOS
and checked its settings (according to the manual) - it should support
drives this large in the BIOS.

Paul
!