Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Does anyone know if Western Digital / Caviar SE / 200GB / 7200 / 8MB /
ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive is compatible with my Hp pavillion 754n
desktop? Would my computer detect it?
Thanx
Much appreciated -Greg

If you are running XP with SP1 or 2 there should be no problems - providing
you configure the new drive correctly.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"GREG" <GREG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if Western Digital / Caviar SE / 200GB / 7200 / 8MB /
> ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive is compatible with my Hp pavillion 754n
> desktop? Would my computer detect it?
> Thanx
> Much appreciated -Greg

yes, one issue that might exist, LBA48 support in the BIOS.
Check your HP's BIOS to see if it supports drives over 127
GB (LBA48) and you'll also need SP1 or 2

"GREG" <GREG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Does anyone know if Western Digital / Caviar SE / 200GB /
7200 / 8MB /
| ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive is compatible with my Hp
pavillion 754n
| desktop? Would my computer detect it?
| Thanx
| Much appreciated -Greg

peter

Hi,

The new hdd is ATA133 and your mobo only support ATA66/100, the hdd will run
at a lower speed. You should also check from HP website to ensure your mobo
can support Hdd larger than 127GB.
However, I would suggest you to buy a 120GB hdd ATA100 7200 RPM. It is
cheaper and is 100% compatible with your existing mobo.

Peter

"GREG" wrote:

> Does anyone know if Western Digital / Caviar SE / 200GB / 7200 / 8MB /
> ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive is compatible with my Hp pavillion 754n
> desktop? Would my computer detect it?
> Thanx
> Much appreciated -Greg

anna

> Hi,
>
> The new hdd is ATA133 and your mobo only support ATA66/100, the hdd will
> run at a lower speed. You should also check from HP website to ensure
> your mobo can support Hdd larger than 127GB.
> However, I would suggest you to buy a 120GB hdd ATA100 7200 RPM. It is
> cheaper and is 100% compatible with your existing mobo.
>
> Peter

Greg:
As a practical matter it makes no difference, performance-wise, whether the
WD drive supports the ATA 100 or the ATA 133 standard, The data transfer
rates that the PATA drives can achieve fall well below either standard. In
short, you'll see absolutely no difference in the performance between PATA
drives meeting either one of those standards that's due to the ATA
interface. It's conceivable that this might be an issue with the new
generation of high-rpm-speed, e.g., 10,000 rpm, SATA drives.

As to the other issue Peter raises with respect to your HP computer's
motherboard's BIOS supporting large-capacity disks, i.e., disks whose
capacity is > 137 GB, you can be sure that since that system's processor is
a 2.53 GHz one, it's a certainty there will be no problem in that area. I
assume your XP installation contains SP1 and/or SP2, since that will be a
requirement for the system to recognize the full capacity of the drive.

So go ahead and purchase that WD drive if it meets your other requirement as
to capacity.

Anna

TRENDING THREADS