BUFFERED RAM

What is the diffrence between Unbuffered non-parity 168-pin DIMM
and Registered ECC 168-pin DIMM and which one does my Hp pavillion 754n
need. Is Viking 512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz Memory good for my computer or do i
need Premium 512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz Memory.
Thanx
Much appreciated - Greg
2 answers Last reply
More about buffered

    As long as it's DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 Non-ECC and Unbuffered any of them will
    probably do. Better memory has a lifetime guarantee.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=HP%2BPavilion+700+Series&mfr=HP&cat=RAM&model=Pavilion+754n&submit=Go

    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "GREG" <GREG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What is the diffrence between Unbuffered non-parity 168-pin DIMM
    > and Registered ECC 168-pin DIMM and which one does my Hp pavillion 754n
    > need. Is Viking 512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz Memory good for my computer or do
    > need Premium 512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz Memory.
    > Thanx
    > Much appreciated - Greg

    The PC uses MSI MS-6577 Rev 2.1 Motherboard.

    It has 2 memory sockets and supports either PC2100 or PC1600 DDR RAM.

    It can accomodate up to 1Gb memory modules in each 'slot'.

    If you have only one module and want to populate the second slot, make sure
    that the new module is of the same PC rating as the original, given that
    either PC2100 or PC1600 could have been installed by HP.

    Registered memory is a type of buffered memory. When you have registered
    memory the memory board will have a chip called a register. The register
    clocks in and clocks out the data by the system clock. Registered modules are
    slightly slower than non-registered modules, because the registering process
    takes one clock cycle. Having registered memory improves data transfer by
    "re-driving" the control signals in the memory chips. A old rumor said if you
    use more then 512MB of memory you must use registered memory. This statement
    isn't fully true. If your motherboard doesn't support registered memory then
    you can't benefit by installing it.

    If your motherboard does support registered memory such as the Intel L440GX+
    motherboard then if you want to use more then 1024MB of memory you must use
    registered memory. This is all dependent of your motherboard. If you look at
    the Intel T440BX for example you can use regular modules up too 384MB of
    memory and 768MB of registered memory modules.

    To get a detailled analysis of the existing memory module you may wish to
    download and run this handy utility that will help provide you with the
    correct memory specifications. It's called Aida32 and you can follow the
    link to downlaod from:
    http://www.legendmemory.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2269

    Make sure you enter the complete URL

    As for prices, check out any PC supplier or 'corner shop'. The price for
    Viking, Kingston or Golden Ram memory is usually more than twice what you
    need to pay.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > As long as it's DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 Non-ECC and Unbuffered any of them will
    > probably do. Better memory has a lifetime guarantee.
    >
    > http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=HP%2BPavilion+700+Series&mfr=HP&cat=RAM&model=Pavilion+754n&submit=Go
    >
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "GREG" <GREG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > What is the diffrence between Unbuffered non-parity 168-pin DIMM
    > > and Registered ECC 168-pin DIMM and which one does my Hp pavillion 754n
    > > need. Is Viking 512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz Memory good for my computer or do
    > > need Premium 512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz Memory.
    > > Thanx
    > > Much appreciated - Greg

Memory Windows XP Product