Soundproblems with A64 mainboard MSI RS480M2

sandra

Hello everybody !

I bought a MSI RS480M2 mainboard with integrated graphics chip and
onboard sound. The audio problems that I have with this board result
in silence. No signal comes from the lightgreen phones jack. I use a
Compucase PSU with ATX 24pin plug and also tried it with a ATX 20pin
PSU before. The BIOS was flashed to version 3.3, so that should be ok
on that side too.

Did anybody solve the problem so far ? Or can you post what you
additionally did or of what information you could get hold of in that
matter ?

It really bugs me. New mainboard, new processor but no sound !

Regards,
Sandra

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:19:53 +0000,
britta45@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (sandra) wrote:

>Hello everybody !
>
>I bought a MSI RS480M2 mainboard with integrated graphics chip and
>onboard sound. The audio problems that I have with this board result
>in silence. No signal comes from the lightgreen phones jack. I use a
>Compucase PSU with ATX 24pin plug and also tried it with a ATX 20pin
>PSU before. The BIOS was flashed to version 3.3, so that should be ok
>on that side too.
>
>Did anybody solve the problem so far ? Or can you post what you
>additionally did or of what information you could get hold of in that
>matter ?
>
>It really bugs me. New mainboard, new processor but no sound !
>
>Regards,
>Sandra

Hi,

Did you load the audio drivers from the disk that came with the mb?

Gollum

sandra

I used the original driver from the cd and because it did not work, I
downloaded the newest drivers both with and without Live Update 3.69
(network and audio, also bios which is 3.3). The drivers are
installed, this is all in 32bit Windows 2000 SP4. I do not use an
external graphics card, there is 512MB DDR400 RAM installed and a A64
3000+ Winchester core CPU.

Realtek Network Driver 5.612.0413.2004 Online-Version 5.612.0413.2004
Realtek AC97 Audio Drivers 5.10.00.5760 Online-Version 5.10.00.5760

Maybe it is too early to fix the problem, I don't know.

Regards,
Sandra

"sandra" <britta45@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> schreef in bericht
>I used the original driver from the cd and because it did not work, I
> downloaded the newest drivers both with and without Live Update 3.69
> (network and audio, also bios which is 3.3). The drivers are
> installed, this is all in 32bit Windows 2000 SP4. I do not use an
> external graphics card, there is 512MB DDR400 RAM installed and a A64
> 3000+ Winchester core CPU.
>
> Realtek Network Driver 5.612.0413.2004 Online-Version 5.612.0413.2004
> Realtek AC97 Audio Drivers 5.10.00.5760 Online-Version 5.10.00.5760
>

> Maybe it is too early to fix the problem, I don't know.
>
> Regards,
> Sandra

Look for the newer drivers on the realtek-website. It fixed a problem I had
with this board.

Jan

sandra

Hello Jan,

I tried it with the Realtek drivers, but the volume icon in the tray
together with the audio hardware devices in the system settings (line
out, mic and midi) disappeared. The latest driver from MSIs' website
made it show up again, but still no sound can be heard despite all
pins of the PSU except the -5V are supplied to the board. Neither was
it successful with the 20pin PSU having a -5V line and having used the
latest driver from MSI/Realtek before also.

That looks like a whacky individual board or too little amperes on the
-5V strip of the alternative PSU or a general problem with sound in
this board.

If anybody has sound at all with this board kindly let me know !

Thanks,
Sandra

jk

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:27:45 +0000,
britta45@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (sandra) wrote:

>Hello Jan,
>
>I tried it with the Realtek drivers, but the volume icon in the tray
>together with the audio hardware devices in the system settings (line
>out, mic and midi) disappeared. The latest driver from MSIs' website
>made it show up again, but still no sound can be heard despite all
>pins of the PSU except the -5V are supplied to the board. Neither was
>it successful with the 20pin PSU having a -5V line and having used the
>latest driver from MSI/Realtek before also.
>
>That looks like a whacky individual board or too little amperes on the
>-5V strip of the alternative PSU or a general problem with sound in
>this board.
>
>If anybody has sound at all with this board kindly let me know !

I have sound ! with the newest drivers from MSI. Windows XP.
Latest bios, but had sound all the time. Have not tried any other
drivers.

But in X64 (boot manager): no sound, if MSI does not provide drivers.
ATi's catalyst beta solves the graphics.

You could check the audio in front jumpers. JAUD1, pin 5-6 and 9-10
must be connected in order to use rear jack.

best regards

John

sandra

Dear John,

Thank you for your reply. Great help at any rate ! :D

I opened the computer case to look for the jumpers of the front audio
panel. Both connections in question are jumpered by the green jumpers
that come with the board. There is a print on the board saying "1" and
"9" for pin 1 and 9. So pins 5 to 6 and 9 to 10 are connected.

It seems to be a hardware problem anyway.

I think I'll get in touch with the shop where I bought it for possible
RMA or assistance.

So, thank you so much for now. Maybe there is another cause for that
and by solving it it will work. Who knows ...

If there is something new, I will post it here. Maybe somebody who has
another tip can also share his information.

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Sandra

sandra

I only wanted to state: The faulty board has been replaced by another
one and this second board works perfectly fine now. :)

Regards,
Sandra

"JK" <johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:27:45 +0000,
> britta45@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (sandra) wrote:
>
>>Hello Jan,
>>
>>I tried it with the Realtek drivers, but the volume icon in the tray
>>together with the audio hardware devices in the system settings (line
>>out, mic and midi) disappeared. The latest driver from MSIs' website
>>made it show up again, but still no sound can be heard despite all
>>pins of the PSU except the -5V are supplied to the board. Neither was
>>it successful with the 20pin PSU having a -5V line and having used the
>>latest driver from MSI/Realtek before also.
>>
>>That looks like a whacky individual board or too little amperes on the
>>-5V strip of the alternative PSU or a general problem with sound in
>>this board.
>>
>>If anybody has sound at all with this board kindly let me know !
>>

> I have sound ! with the newest drivers from MSI. Windows XP.
> Latest bios, but had sound all the time. Have not tried any other
> drivers.
>
> But in X64 (boot manager): no sound, if MSI does not provide drivers.
> ATi's catalyst beta solves the graphics.

Have you tried the Realtek Win XP/2003 64 bit drivers here:
ftp://210.51.181.211/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm64_a371.exe - the Realtek site
doesn't list them at the moment but If you Google for "Realtek audio
drivers" and open the cached page, the above file is the first one there.
Ver A3.71 Dated 2005/04/12 Size 11552k

Suggest you get it while the link still works if you haven't already done
so.

Paul