winxp emachine recovery ghost is hanging up at the startup?

WindSong

I have reinstalled the ghost disk that came with my emachine t2080. when
the install finnishes the boot up screen hangs up at starting windows? I
decided to upgrade with a winxp pro disk to correct the problem , it
asked me to key f6 and install a standard pci graphics adapter VGA, and
avance ac'97 audio for via 8233 audio controller(sound, video and game
controller. I did not have that file and when the computer finnished
booting up my startup screen hangs up, then loads a grey screen , then
turns black and the monitor blinks, and a continual reboot keeps
happening. Anyone know what to do with this machine??? :) thanks,
windsong

--
windsong
windsong's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=865

"windsong" <windsong.1lo05z@news.nospam.local> wrote in message

> I have reinstalled the ghost disk that came with my emachine t2080. when
> the install finnishes the boot up screen hangs up at starting windows?

I assume you had some issues and thought that reimaging would solve them?

Unfortunately, reimaging/reinstalling doesn't fix hardware problems. And
based on what you're saying, a hardware problem is exactly what you're
dealing with.

> I decided to upgrade with a winxp pro disk to correct the problem , it
> asked me to key f6 and install a standard pci graphics adapter VGA, and
> avance ac'97 audio for via 8233 audio controller(sound, video and game
> controller. I did not have that file

...and you don't need them at this point in setup. The only drivers required
to be used at this point are disk controller drivers that aren't present out
of the box. Most machines built for the home market don't need special
drivers to get setup to complete.

> and when the computer finnished
> booting up my startup screen hangs up, then loads a grey screen , then
> turns black and the monitor blinks, and a continual reboot keeps
> happening. Anyone know what to do with this machine??? :)

Fix the hardware. Unfortunately what's happening is the system is throwing a
serious error, automatic restart is happening which throws the same error
which causes an automatic restart which throws the same error which...

If you can get the machine up in safe mode, start to disable non-essential
hardware such as sound cards, NICs, modems, USB ports (unless you're using
USB keyboard and/or mouse and can not connect those to PS2 ports), printers
etc. Force the display into standard VGA mode in case it's an issue with the
fancier video features. If you can't get the machine up in safe mode I'd
suggest taking the machine to some one truly clueful. This gets into a area
of needing to pull and swap hardware and possibly hack the registry
'remotely'.

--
Walter Clayton
http://www.dts-l.org

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:22:38 -0600, windsong
<windsong.1lo05z@news.nospam.local> wrote:

>I have reinstalled the ghost disk that came with my emachine t2080. when
>the install finnishes the boot up screen hangs up at starting windows? I
>decided to upgrade with a winxp pro disk to correct the problem , it
>asked me to key f6 and install a standard pci graphics adapter VGA, and
>avance ac'97 audio for via 8233 audio controller(sound, video and game
>controller. I did not have that file and when the computer finnished
>booting up my startup screen hangs up, then loads a grey screen , then
>turns black and the monitor blinks, and a continual reboot keeps
>happening. Anyone know what to do with this machine??? :) thanks,
>windsong

Those emachine restore cd(s) goes bad and ghost can not read it.
However, If you copy the restore cd(s) to another blank cds.
Use the copied cd(s) not the original cds.

Let it restore.

Now don't add anything (Note-you can install your printer if needed)
Uninstall Real-one
Now re-install xp pro upgrade.
This should work.

Do not install the updated chipset if using windows xp service pack 2

What ever you do. Do not ever install the graphics update from
windows update site. The update caused my screen to go blank.

If you can get into safe mode. Roll-back graphics driver.

Greg R