Seagate Model ST3200822A

Does anybody have experience with Seagate
ATA Baracuda 200 Gbyte Hard Drive - Model: ST3200822A.

A local retailer has them for $ 124.99.
Rebate of $ 50.00 from Seagate... So total cost: $ 74.99
Specs say 7200 RPM - 8 mb Buffer - 5 Year Warranty....
Sounds like a good deal - But is it too good to be true ????

Do you advise I jump ahead and “grab one of those babies” ???

If I do purchase will be making it primary master and
replacing a 6.4 Gbyte Maxtor drive....
It has 256 kb Buffer and runs at 5400 RPM.

Your ideas are appreciated... Thanks to all..

--
daveiosys

peter

Hi,

Well, it is off the market price and I know Seagate provide only 3 years
warranty.
Better check it out before jump into the trap.

BTW, it seemed that your old Hdd is ATA66. Mak esure your mobo BIOS support
ATA100

Peter

"daveiosys" wrote:

> Does anybody have experience with Seagate
> ATA Baracuda 200 Gbyte Hard Drive - Model: ST3200822A.
>
> A local retailer has them for $ 124.99.
> Rebate of $ 50.00 from Seagate... So total cost: $ 74.99
> Specs say 7200 RPM - 8 mb Buffer - 5 Year Warranty....
> Sounds like a good deal - But is it too good to be true ????
>
> Do you advise I jump ahead and “grab one of those babies� ???
>
> If I do purchase will be making it primary master and
> replacing a 6.4 Gbyte Maxtor drive....
> It has 256 kb Buffer and runs at 5400 RPM.
>
> Your ideas are appreciated... Thanks to all..
>

> --
> daveiosys

Seagate provides a 5 year warranty on all of it's internal drives.

I have 2 of these drives in computers in my home, and have nothing but good
things to say about them. They are fast and quiet.

Bobby

"daveiosys" <daveiosys.1loedo@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Does anybody have experience with Seagate
> ATA Baracuda 200 Gbyte Hard Drive - Model: ST3200822A.
> A local retailer has them for $ 124.99.
> Rebate of $ 50.00 from Seagate... So total cost: $ 74.99
> Specs say 7200 RPM - 8 mb Buffer - 5 Year Warranty....
> Sounds like a good deal - But is it too good to be true
> ????
> Do you advise I jump ahead and "grab one of those babies"
> ???

I've been using this model for nearly two years now and am
very happy with it. I recommend it highly and you can't beat
the price.

> If I do purchase will be making it primary master and
> replacing a 6.4 Gbyte Maxtor drive....
> It has 256 kb Buffer and runs at 5400 RPM.

I used it to replace a 20 meg Quantum Fireball as the
primary drive and made the Quantum the slave. The two work
fine together. (The Quantum is where I back up all my data
now.)

I did have a problem with the Wizard that came with the
Seagate moving all my installed programs over to the new
master. WinXP moved over fine but a lot of the installed
software seemed to be "hard-wired" to the Quantum somehow
and wouldn't work when moved to the Seagate: The programs
would search for modules and dll files and be unable to find
them. I'm not sure whose fault this was: the Wizard's, the
programs', or mine? In the end I reformatted the Seagate and
reinstalled WinXP, software, and data on it after which I
reformatted the Quantum as well.

Before doing anything however be sure to back up *all* your
data to a safe place.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse