Hard drive controller question

March 10, 2005 3:13:02 PM

I have a motherboard capable of supporting Ultra ATA 33. I just replaced the
hard drive with one capable of Ultra ATA 100. Would there be any advantage to
install an IDE Ultra ATA 100 controller card to the system and run the drive
from that. They say it will increase the drives performance. Currently the
drive is connected to the MB's Primary IDE connector using the 40
pin/conductor cable.

--
If it works, "water go, spagetti stay"
Anonymous

Short answer, YES. And get an 80 wire cable, too.

"Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have a motherboard capable of supporting Ultra ATA 33. I
just replaced the
| hard drive with one capable of Ultra ATA 100. Would there
be any advantage to
| install an IDE Ultra ATA 100 controller card to the system
and run the drive
| from that. They say it will increase the drives
performance. Currently the
| drive is connected to the MB's Primary IDE connector using
the 40
| pin/conductor cable.
|
| --
| If it works, "water go, spagetti stay"
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 5:22:24 PM

Yes, a new IDE card and 80 conductor cable would speed it up a bit.

Ron wrote:

> I have a motherboard capable of supporting Ultra ATA 33. I just replaced the
> hard drive with one capable of Ultra ATA 100. Would there be any advantage to
> install an IDE Ultra ATA 100 controller card to the system and run the drive
> from that. They say it will increase the drives performance. Currently the
> drive is connected to the MB's Primary IDE connector using the 40
> pin/conductor cable.

March 10, 2005 6:53:55 PM

You say your motherboard supports ATA/133 then it will run the ATA/100 hard
drive with no problem. You do not need an ATA/100 Controller card. The
motherboard ATA/133 is backward compatible to ATA/100.
As posted - Use an 80 Wire Cable.

"Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a motherboard capable of supporting Ultra ATA 33. I just replaced
>the
> hard drive with one capable of Ultra ATA 100. Would there be any advantage
> install an IDE Ultra ATA 100 controller card to the system and run the
> drive
> from that. They say it will increase the drives performance. Currently the
> drive is connected to the MB's Primary IDE connector using the 40
> pin/conductor cable.
>
> --
> If it works, "water go, spagetti stay"
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:17:13 AM

yup it would be faster, but that must be an old system you have there....
whats its specs?

"Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a motherboard capable of supporting Ultra ATA 33. I just replaced
>the
> hard drive with one capable of Ultra ATA 100. Would there be any advantage
> install an IDE Ultra ATA 100 controller card to the system and run the
> drive
> from that. They say it will increase the drives performance. Currently the
> drive is connected to the MB's Primary IDE connector using the 40
> pin/conductor cable.
>
> --
> If it works, "water go, spagetti stay"
March 11, 2005 1:17:14 AM

Hi Kenny, it is an older Gateway, the G6-400. I upgraded the processor with
one of those Powerleap conversions. It is now 1200 mhz and have 384 mb ram.
Runs great and is fairly quick except the 100 Mhz bus is holding me back
some. I just put in a WD 80 GB HD and use the system for a backup to my
Gateway 3.0 GB M675 notebook

"Kenny S" wrote:

> yup it would be faster, but that must be an old system you have there....
> whats its specs?
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a motherboard capable of supporting Ultra ATA 33. I just replaced
> >the
> > hard drive with one capable of Ultra ATA 100. Would there be any advantage
> > install an IDE Ultra ATA 100 controller card to the system and run the
> > drive
> > from that. They say it will increase the drives performance. Currently the
> > drive is connected to the MB's Primary IDE connector using the 40
> > pin/conductor cable.
> >
> > --
> > If it works, "water go, spagetti stay"

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:17:54 AM

then go for it! you will see an increase in performance

> Hi Kenny, it is an older Gateway, the G6-400. I upgraded the processor
> with
> one of those Powerleap conversions. It is now 1200 mhz and have 384 mb
> ram.
> Runs great and is fairly quick except the 100 Mhz bus is holding me back
> some. I just put in a WD 80 GB HD and use the system for a backup to my
> Gateway 3.0 GB M675 notebook
>
> "Kenny S" wrote:
>
>> yup it would be faster, but that must be an old system you have there....
>> whats its specs?
>>

>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a motherboard capable of supporting Ultra ATA 33. I just replaced
>> >the
>> > hard drive with one capable of Ultra ATA 100. Would there be any
>> > advantage
>> > install an IDE Ultra ATA 100 controller card to the system and run the
>> > drive
>> > from that. They say it will increase the drives performance. Currently
>> > the
>> > drive is connected to the MB's Primary IDE connector using the 40
>> > pin/conductor cable.
>> >
>> > --
>> > If it works, "water go, spagetti stay"

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:22:33 AM

he said ultra ata33 sto that mixed us up... I thought he ment ata 33....
not ata 133!!!

"RonK" <Capt.Frenchfry @ hotdog.com> wrote in message
> You say your motherboard supports ATA/133 then it will run the ATA/100
> hard drive with no problem. You do not need an ATA/100 Controller card.
> The motherboard ATA/133 is backward compatible to ATA/100.
> As posted - Use an 80 Wire Cable.
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a motherboard capable of supporting Ultra ATA 33. I just replaced
>>the
>> hard drive with one capable of Ultra ATA 100. Would there be any
>> advantage to
>> install an IDE Ultra ATA 100 controller card to the system and run the
>> drive
>> from that. They say it will increase the drives performance. Currently
>> the
>> drive is connected to the MB's Primary IDE connector using the 40
>> pin/conductor cable.
>>
>> --
>> If it works, "water go, spagetti stay"

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:22:34 AM

I didn't think there were any of those ancient machines still around. !! My
mind saw ATA133 .

Thanks for the heads up !

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> he said ultra ata33 sto that mixed us up... I thought he ment ata 33....
> not ata 133!!!
>

> "RonK" <Capt.Frenchfry @ hotdog.com> wrote in message
>> You say your motherboard supports ATA/133 then it will run the ATA/100
>> hard drive with no problem. You do not need an ATA/100 Controller card.
>> The motherboard ATA/133 is backward compatible to ATA/100.
>> As posted - Use an 80 Wire Cable.
>>

>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a motherboard capable of supporting Ultra ATA 33. I just replaced
>>>the
>>> hard drive with one capable of Ultra ATA 100. Would there be any
>>> advantage to
>>> install an IDE Ultra ATA 100 controller card to the system and run the
>>> drive
>>> from that. They say it will increase the drives performance. Currently
>>> the
>>> drive is connected to the MB's Primary IDE connector using the 40
>>> pin/conductor cable.
>>>
>>> --
>>> If it works, "water go, spagetti stay"

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:37:27 AM

No you must be RIGHT, since 33 mhz CANT be ULTRA lol....

So I think its really 133 Mhz since he put a fast cpu on it....
He will have to look at the specs again and repost.

> I didn't think there were any of those ancient machines still around. !!
> My mind saw ATA133 .
>
> Thanks for the heads up !
>

> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>> he said ultra ata33 sto that mixed us up... I thought he ment ata 33....
>> not ata 133!!!
>>

>> "RonK" <Capt.Frenchfry @ hotdog.com> wrote in message
>>> You say your motherboard supports ATA/133 then it will run the ATA/100
>>> hard drive with no problem. You do not need an ATA/100 Controller card.
>>> The motherboard ATA/133 is backward compatible to ATA/100.
>>> As posted - Use an 80 Wire Cable.
>>>

>>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

March 11, 2005 10:53:04 AM

Guys, let me clear up a little confusion. My first post is correct. Ultra 33
is correct. A little history of the computer my shed some light. Originally
it was a Pentium II 400mhz. 100mhz bus. (Gateway G6-400). I put in a
replacement processor. It is a conversion setup made by Powerleap. It uses an
Intel Celeron (Tualatin) in an adapter for slot 1 boards. It is 1400mhz
processor however it still uses the 100mhz bus. (dont laugh). Now the
motherboard (Intel Jabil ) specs say this. "When used in conjunction with the
apppropriate driver, the IDE inteface can operate as a PCI master capable of
supporting Ultra ATA devices with transfer rates of up to 33 MB/sec. I
currently have my drive (WD Ultra 100 80GB) connected to the IDE connector
(40 pin) on the motherboard. The ultima question... would it be better to put
in an Ultra 100 PCI controller card and run it from that rather than the IDE
interface on the mb. Hope that helps with my originally question

"Kenny S" wrote:

> No you must be RIGHT, since 33 mhz CANT be ULTRA lol....
>
> So I think its really 133 Mhz since he put a fast cpu on it....
> He will have to look at the specs again and repost.
>

> "RonK" <Capt.Frenchfry @ hotdog.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I didn't think there were any of those ancient machines still around. !!
> > My mind saw ATA133 .
> >
> > Thanks for the heads up !
> >

> > "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> >> he said ultra ata33 sto that mixed us up... I thought he ment ata 33....
> >> not ata 133!!!
> >>

> >> "RonK" <Capt.Frenchfry @ hotdog.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:18:33 AM

Try this link to update your information store.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Ultra+33

Kenny S wrote:

> No you must be RIGHT, since 33 mhz CANT be ULTRA lol....
>
> So I think its really 133 Mhz since he put a fast cpu on it....
> He will have to look at the specs again and repost.
>

> "RonK" <Capt.Frenchfry @ hotdog.com> wrote in message
>
>>I didn't think there were any of those ancient machines still around. !!
>>My mind saw ATA133 .
>>
>>Thanks for the heads up !
>>

>>"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>he said ultra ata33 sto that mixed us up... I thought he ment ata 33....
>>>not ata 133!!!
>>>

>>>"RonK" <Capt.Frenchfry @ hotdog.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:25:08 PM

Ok - Since it is only ata33 you will see better performance with a card to
get the full speed from your ata100 drive.
Thanks for clearing that up.

!