Wireless connected ... can't ping

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 1:33:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi

I've a soho

1 wired pc to network hub
3 wireless pcs to network hub

I've just done a re-install of one of the wireless PC's and now I can't
get it to join the network.

The hub is working fine as a dhcp server assigning IP addresses to all
the other machines.

As well as trying to use DCHP, I've tried hardcoding an ip address with
default gateway onto it but although it takes (when I check ipconfig) it
still can't see any other machines on my network.

My address range is 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0) upwards

I can ping the networked machines from each other fine.

I can see the wireless hub as well from the machine which I can't get to
join the network (at the mac level) but I think it's the IP level I must
be overlooking something

I've tried ip_config/release etc but it won't take

Any suggestions

Thanks

Simon
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 1:50:53 PM

Simon Woods wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've a soho
>
> 1 wired pc to network hub
> 3 wireless pcs to network hub
>
> I've just done a re-install of one of the wireless PC's and now I can't
> get it to join the network.
>
> The hub is working fine as a dhcp server assigning IP addresses to all
> the other machines.
>
> As well as trying to use DCHP, I've tried hardcoding an ip address with
> default gateway onto it but although it takes (when I check ipconfig) it
> still can't see any other machines on my network.
>
> My address range is 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0) upwards
>
> I can ping the networked machines from each other fine.
>
> I can see the wireless hub as well from the machine which I can't get to
> join the network (at the mac level) but I think it's the IP level I must
> be overlooking something
>
> I've tried ip_config/release etc but it won't take
>
> Any suggestions
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon

I should add that from the machine I can't get to join the network, I
can ping it's own IP address from itself (as well as the 127.0.0.1)
which seemed to me to imply that IP was configured okay
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 1:50:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi, Simon -

If this is WinXP and you are running the Windows Firewall then check your
firewall settings:

- Go to Control Panel, Winnows Firewall.

- Under the General tab turn the Firewall On and clear the Don't Allow
Exceptions box.

- Under the Exceptions tab make sure File and Printer Sharing is checked.

- Under the Advanced tab select the Wireless network and click on Settings.

- Under the ICMP tab make sure the Allow Incoming Echo Request is checked.

If you are running some other Firewall software (Zone Alarm, McAfee, Norton,
Black Ice...), then turn off the Windows Firewall and make sure the other
Firewall is properly configured.
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Simon Woods" <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> Simon Woods wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've a soho
>>
>> 1 wired pc to network hub
>> 3 wireless pcs to network hub
>>
>> I've just done a re-install of one of the wireless PC's and now I can't
>> get it to join the network.
>>
>> The hub is working fine as a dhcp server assigning IP addresses to all
>> the other machines.
>>
>> As well as trying to use DCHP, I've tried hardcoding an ip address with
>> default gateway onto it but although it takes (when I check ipconfig) it
>> still can't see any other machines on my network.
>>
>> My address range is 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0) upwards
>>
>> I can ping the networked machines from each other fine.
>>
>> I can see the wireless hub as well from the machine which I can't get to
>> join the network (at the mac level) but I think it's the IP level I must
>> be overlooking something
>>
>> I've tried ip_config/release etc but it won't take
>>
>> Any suggestions
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Simon
>
> I should add that from the machine I can't get to join the network, I can
> ping it's own IP address from itself (as well as the 127.0.0.1) which
> seemed to me to imply that IP was configured okay
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 7:34:12 PM

WLW wrote:
> Hi, Simon -
>
> If this is WinXP and you are running the Windows Firewall then check your
> firewall settings:
>
> - Go to Control Panel, Winnows Firewall.
>
> - Under the General tab turn the Firewall On and clear the Don't Allow
> Exceptions box.
>
> - Under the Exceptions tab make sure File and Printer Sharing is checked.
>
> - Under the Advanced tab select the Wireless network and click on Settings.
>
> - Under the ICMP tab make sure the Allow Incoming Echo Request is checked.
>
> If you are running some other Firewall software (Zone Alarm, McAfee, Norton,
> Black Ice...), then turn off the Windows Firewall and make sure the other
> Firewall is properly configured.

Thanks for this. A bit more info ...

It is a dual-boot xp/win98 machine. I'm trying to get the win98 working
first. Both have been working in the past though not together.

The machine has 2 nic's, a wireless nic in an expansion slot and an
on-board nic (which I've diabled in bios)

I've noticed at boot up, that several devices are assigned to the same
IRQ which was cause for concern, but then I've noticed in Control
Panel->System->Computer->Properties, that for each device there is an
entry for IRQ steering, so I'm assuming that this facility permits
multiple devices to use the same IRQ. Is this correct. This machine has
been working both with XP and win98 and I haven't shifted around any
hardware so I'm wondering if the multiple devices on the same IRQ is a
red-herring.

The other machines on the network are all being dynamcially allocated ip
addresses so I can only assume that the problem is somewhere on this
local machine.

Any more thoughts

Thanks

Simon
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 7:34:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

You may want to take a look at:

http://WWW.EZine.com/QandA
http://WWW.EZine.com/TechTips
or