KT4V-L and XP3000+

Tim

Hi all,

I have just installed an XP3000+ CPU into my KT4V-L mainboard, but cannot
get the system to recognise the correct CPU.

FSB has been set in the BIOS to 166MHz and all other frequency/voltage
settings are on auto, but the system will only recognise the CPU as XP2700+.
I have checked the MSI website; their compatibility chart shows the XP3000+,
with FSB 166MHz and auto settings as working "OK".

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks very much in advance for any help offered.

Tim

Tim

Tim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just installed an XP3000+ CPU into my KT4V-L mainboard, but
> cannot get the system to recognise the correct CPU.
>
> FSB has been set in the BIOS to 166MHz and all other frequency/voltage
> settings are on auto, but the system will only recognise the CPU as
> XP2700+. I have checked the MSI website; their compatibility chart
> shows the XP3000+, with FSB 166MHz and auto settings as working "OK".
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks very much in advance for any help offered.
>
> Tim

I should have said, this is a Barton core 3000+, with 333Mhz FSB...

mark

There might be a bios update you need.

"Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
> Tim wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have just installed an XP3000+ CPU into my KT4V-L mainboard, but
>> cannot get the system to recognise the correct CPU.
>>
>> FSB has been set in the BIOS to 166MHz and all other frequency/voltage
>> settings are on auto, but the system will only recognise the CPU as
>> XP2700+. I have checked the MSI website; their compatibility chart
>> shows the XP3000+, with FSB 166MHz and auto settings as working "OK".
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks very much in advance for any help offered.
>>
>> Tim
>
> I should have said, this is a Barton core 3000+, with 333Mhz FSB...

11 Apr 2005 12:05 UTC, Tim typed:
>> FSB has been set in the BIOS to 166MHz and all other frequency/voltage
>> settings are on auto, but the system will only recognise the CPU as
>> XP2700+. I have checked the MSI website; their compatibility chart
>> shows the XP3000+, with FSB 166MHz and auto settings as working "OK".
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?

Is there not a jumper on the MoBo? If do, set that to 166MHz too.

--
I had to hit him, he was beginning to make sense.

Tim

Mark wrote:
> There might be a bios update you need.
>
> "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
>> Tim wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have just installed an XP3000+ CPU into my KT4V-L mainboard, but
>>> cannot get the system to recognise the correct CPU.
>>>
>>> FSB has been set in the BIOS to 166MHz and all other
>>> frequency/voltage settings are on auto, but the system will only
>>> recognise the CPU as XP2700+. I have checked the MSI website; their
>>> compatibility chart shows the XP3000+, with FSB 166MHz and auto
>>> settings as working "OK". What am I doing wrong?
>>>
>>> Thanks very much in advance for any help offered.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>
>> I should have said, this is a Barton core 3000+, with 333Mhz FSB...

BIOS update seems to have done the trick - a bit nervous about doing it,
what with all the warnings about "you may end up with a dead board"!! Why is
flashing the BIOS such a risky affair? Can it not be made more
straightforward?

Anyway, thanks for the help,

Tim

mark

Just don't use the windows utility to flash.....the old floopy disk is the
best.

> Mark wrote:
>> There might be a bios update you need.
>>
>> "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message

>>> I should have said, this is a Barton core 3000+, with 333Mhz FSB...
>
> BIOS update seems to have done the trick - a bit nervous about doing it,
> what with all the warnings about "you may end up with a dead board"!! Why
> is flashing the BIOS such a risky affair? Can it not be made more
> straightforward?
>
> Anyway, thanks for the help,
>
> Tim

Tim

Mark wrote:
> Just don't use the windows utility to flash.....the old floopy disk
> is the best.
>
> "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
>> Mark wrote:
>>> There might be a bios update you need.
>>>
>>> "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message

>> BIOS update seems to have done the trick - a bit nervous about doing
>> it, what with all the warnings about "you may end up with a dead
>> board"!! Why is flashing the BIOS such a risky affair? Can it not be
>> made more straightforward?
>>
>> Anyway, thanks for the help,
>>
>> Tim

I'm having a bit of a problem since the update though......

When I go to switch off the PC, Windows XP shuts down, the PC turns off for
about 2 seconds and then restarts! I have Googled for a solution and the
only thing I've come across so far is to turn off "Automatically Restart" in
the Startup and Recovery settings found under System properties. This hasn't
solved the problem.

I'll keep looking for a solution, but in the meantime, any thoughts here? It
was fine before updating the BIOS.

hanks,

Tim

mark

Try this site out....let me know if it helps.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

> Mark wrote:
>> Just don't use the windows utility to flash.....the old floopy disk
>> is the best.
>>
>> "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message

>>> BIOS update seems to have done the trick - a bit nervous about doing
>>> it, what with all the warnings about "you may end up with a dead
>>> board"!! Why is flashing the BIOS such a risky affair? Can it not be
>>> made more straightforward?
>>>
>>> Anyway, thanks for the help,
>>>
>>> Tim
>
> I'm having a bit of a problem since the update though......
>
> When I go to switch off the PC, Windows XP shuts down, the PC turns off
> for about 2 seconds and then restarts! I have Googled for a solution and
> the only thing I've come across so far is to turn off "Automatically
> Restart" in the Startup and Recovery settings found under System
> properties. This hasn't solved the problem.
>
> I'll keep looking for a solution, but in the meantime, any thoughts here?
> It was fine before updating the BIOS.
>
> hanks,
>
> Tim

Tim

Mark wrote:
> Try this site out....let me know if it helps.
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Thanks Mark, it most certainly did help!

I thought it must be something in the BIOS - I just didn't burrow far enough
in to it. It was down to the "Wake up" settings. Funny thing is, that
reflashing the BIOS seems to have changed some but not all of my earlier
BIOS settings. Strange.

Thanks again,

Tim