MSI RS480: Acceptable onboard sound anybody?

Tags:
  • MSI-Microstar
  • MSI
  • Components
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 18, 2005 9:49:52 AM

Dear all,
did anybody get acceptable sound quality from the AC97 component of
the MSI RS480? Meanwhile I have two boards of this type. Both work
quite good, but the sound quality is really horrible. There are
constant cracks and distortures if playing any type of audio file.
Used the updated sound drivers from the MSI Website and the newer ones
from Realtek without any difference. Of course, the device manager
shows no problem at all, and all other components have the drivers
from the msi site applied (ATI-Chipset, LAN). I use XP prof. SP2 plus
all hotfixes.

Thanks in advance
Uli

More about : msi rs480 acceptable onboard sound

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2005 7:02:02 PM

That is a problem with onboard sound because it uses the CPU to render
the sound.
The CPU is doing other things and has to do the sound at the same
time. Even a cheap sound card is better than that for sound intensive
programs. On board sound is for surfing the net or somethind less
intensive. I have an AOPEN $25 card that works quite well.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2005 2:30:34 PM

I have the same board, and the audio does exactly the same thing. I'm
thinking of getting a $25 Chaintech to replace it. Shrill or sudden
sounds (explosions in games, etc.) cause the crackle.
December 24, 2008 7:23:58 AM

hi no eexprt had same prob .. been inside case right before this started??
try connections from front panel to mobo(down by bottom card slot at back of case> sometimes connectors are a little loose solved my prblm . hope
that does it or else >sound card< (ps use something non conductive>
!