Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

RealPlayer on PPC

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 10:30:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Recently I posted a question about problems with the PPC version of
Realpayer (shown below)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ADSL Broadband with WiFi 802.11b connection to Dell AXIM

I've just downloaded RealPlayer for my pocket PC on the hope of being able
to listen to radio stations on my Dell AXIM.

Installed OK but if I try to access any BBC radio stations it tells me plug
in not installed but gives the option to open in Stand Alone RealPlayer.

Take that option, downloads a file but always times out whilst trying to
open it.

Cannot appear to open a location directly on the PPC realplayer as it tells
me address incorrectly formed.

Any pointers appreciated.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I emailed RealPlayer and got a technical list of potential problems one of
which it states streaming is not available via WiFi network although
RealPlayer has an 802.11b setting. I would have thought WiFi was one of the
most popular ways of connecting on a handheld but I may be wrong.

Anyone had RealPlayer working on PPC2003

Geoff Lane

More about : realplayer ppc

July 16, 2004 10:46:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>
> I emailed RealPlayer and got a technical list of potential problems one of
> which it states streaming is not available via WiFi network although
> RealPlayer has an 802.11b setting. I would have thought WiFi was one of
the
> most popular ways of connecting on a handheld but I may be wrong.
>
> Anyone had RealPlayer working on PPC2003
>
> Geoff Lane
>
>
>


Yeah I have. The problem seems to be the Pocket PC version will only play
really, really low bandwidth Real media. Most of the stuff from the BBC
(even for 56K modems) is too high quality for Real. I guess nobody figured
on GPRS, 3G and WiFi for PPCs. It's a great shame they don't do some
updating of the player.
July 16, 2004 11:23:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Could someone do me a favour and post a link to RealPlayer for Pocket PC
EXE file. The web site seems to think that because I am using a Mac, I
can't download stuff onto a memory stick and put it on my PC that
doesn't have a modem... how silly.

Marc


--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
Related resources
July 17, 2004 12:07:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
news:1090002199.51190.0@dyke.uk.clara.net...
> Could someone do me a favour and post a link to RealPlayer for Pocket PC
> EXE file. The web site seems to think that because I am using a Mac, I
> can't download stuff onto a memory stick and put it on my PC that
> doesn't have a modem... how silly.
>
> Marc
>
>
> --
> Marc
> See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

http://www.real.com/realmobile/download.html?rppr=rnwk&...

Seems to work still, even if they do try to hide it.
July 17, 2004 12:18:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I emailed RealPlayer and got a technical list of potential problems one of
> which it states streaming is not available via WiFi network although
> RealPlayer has an 802.11b setting. I would have thought WiFi was one of
the
> most popular ways of connecting on a handheld but I may be wrong.
>
> Anyone had RealPlayer working on PPC2003
>
> Geoff Lane
>
>
>

Actually now I've gone and looked there's another player now "1.1 preveiw
release" and that works ok on the BBC site. Have you tried that?
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 1:42:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> > Anyone had RealPlayer working on PPC2003
> >
> > Geoff Lane
> >
> >
> >
>
> Actually now I've gone and looked there's another player now "1.1 preveiw
> release" and that works ok on the BBC site. Have you tried that?

I think I went for the 'main version', can't recall the wording but seem to
recall a 'beta' option.

I'll give it a go but as mentioned, the RealPlayer version I have has an
802.11b network setting option.

Geoff Lane
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 4:07:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> > Anyone had RealPlayer working on PPC2003

> Actually now I've gone and looked there's another player now "1.1 preveiw
> release" and that works ok on the BBC site. Have you tried that?

I've just downloaded and installed it - tried the BBC site and it says I do
not have a plug in installed so I go for the option that says use Stand
Alone RealPlayer.

Realplayer loads, I get asked if I want to download the RAM file, accept
then after a delay I get the error Response or Data from Server Timed Out.

Geoff Lane
July 17, 2004 4:49:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:40f90883$0$6450$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>
> > > Anyone had RealPlayer working on PPC2003
>
> > Actually now I've gone and looked there's another player now "1.1
preveiw
> > release" and that works ok on the BBC site. Have you tried that?
>
> I've just downloaded and installed it - tried the BBC site and it says I
do
> not have a plug in installed so I go for the option that says use Stand
> Alone RealPlayer.
>
> Realplayer loads, I get asked if I want to download the RAM file, accept
> then after a delay I get the error Response or Data from Server Timed Out.
>
> Geoff Lane
>
>


This is the preview? I understand that "preview" is code for beta but I
always keep my 4150 backed up anyway so I'm not fussed trying new things.

What I did was tap on the Real link from the BBC page, chose to save it in
My Documents then opened up the Real player browsed to "open file" and chose
the link that had been downloaded. This is using WiFi and it starts playing
well quickly. I chose News 24 and the link that downloaded was n24.
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 4:10:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> "Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:40f90883$0$6450$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> >
> > > > Anyone had RealPlayer working on PPC2003
> >
> > > Actually now I've gone and looked there's another player now "1.1
> > > preveiw
> > > release" and that works ok on the BBC site. Have you tried that?

> What I did was tap on the Real link from the BBC page, chose to save it in
> My Documents then opened up the Real player browsed to "open file" and
chose
> the link that had been downloaded. This is using WiFi and it starts
playing
> well quickly. I chose News 24 and the link that downloaded was n24.

I've tried it and still no joy - just to check, the RealPlayer version I've
got is V2.0.0.24

It is on PPC2003 (Dell AXIM) which connects to my WiFi network via an
802.11b card.

My network is ADSL

If I go for the option to download the BBC RAM file it launches RealPlayer
which briefly says 'connecting' then it says 'loading' and after about 30
seconds I get the message RESPONSE or DATA from server Timed Out.

If I try to open the RAM file as a local file I get exactly the same
message.

Under the connection settings I have it set to 802.11b and have tried the
11mbps and the lower 2mpps and have also tried extending the 'time out'
setting on RealPlayer.

Geoff Lane
July 18, 2004 4:31:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> I chose News 24 and the link that downloaded was n24.
>
> I've tried it and still no joy - just to check, the RealPlayer version
I've
> got is V2.0.0.24
>

Mine says V2.0.0.28

> It is on PPC2003 (Dell AXIM) which connects to my WiFi network via an
> 802.11b card.
>

I have a built in WiFi, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference.
Is your network Ad-Hoc mine is infrastructure?


> My network is ADSL
>

Same.

> If I go for the option to download the BBC RAM file it launches RealPlayer
> which briefly says 'connecting' then it says 'loading' and after about 30
> seconds I get the message RESPONSE or DATA from server Timed Out.
>
> If I try to open the RAM file as a local file I get exactly the same
> message.
>
> Under the connection settings I have it set to 802.11b and have tried the
> 11mbps and the lower 2mpps and have also tried extending the 'time out'
> setting on RealPlayer.
>
> Geoff Lane
>
>

I have WiFi and 11mbps enabled (basically I haven't touched any of the
default settings) but when I click on the link on the BBC page it just
prompts me to save the file - doesn't try to load it.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 11:34:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> > I've tried it and still no joy - just to check, the RealPlayer version
> > I've
> > got is V2.0.0.24
> >
>
> Mine says V2.0.0.28

I have uninstalled mine and reinstalled and now the version shows V2.0.0.28
but still mine 'times out' regardless of if I try and open it direct from
the BBC site or open the RAM file locally.

But in any case doesn't the RAM file merely give the address of the
'streaming file' location?

I am puzzled; my connection is very good as to eliminate bad connection
possibilities I stand right beside my AP when trying to access the BBC site.

Geoff Lane
July 21, 2004 5:28:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:40fd65b0$0$6440$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>
> > > I've tried it and still no joy - just to check, the RealPlayer version
> > > I've
> > > got is V2.0.0.24
> > >
> >
> > Mine says V2.0.0.28
>
> I have uninstalled mine and reinstalled and now the version shows
V2.0.0.28
> but still mine 'times out' regardless of if I try and open it direct from
> the BBC site or open the RAM file locally.
>
> But in any case doesn't the RAM file merely give the address of the
> 'streaming file' location?
>
> I am puzzled; my connection is very good as to eliminate bad connection
> possibilities I stand right beside my AP when trying to access the BBC
site.
>
> Geoff Lane
>
>

Sorry, you've exhausted my limited knowledge in the area! When you tap on a
Real link does it try to play or prompt to save? If the former then it's
still acting differently than my 4150...so it could be something to do with
the registry? Do a hard reset and try again? Dunno, I'm just clutching at
straws.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 7:40:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:28:10 +0100, "JB"
<flaxton_uk_remove@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>
>"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:40fd65b0$0$6440$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>>
>> > > I've tried it and still no joy - just to check, the RealPlayer version
>> > > I've
>> > > got is V2.0.0.24
>> > >
>> >
>> > Mine says V2.0.0.28
>>
>> I have uninstalled mine and reinstalled and now the version shows
>V2.0.0.28
>> but still mine 'times out' regardless of if I try and open it direct from
>> the BBC site or open the RAM file locally.
>>
>> But in any case doesn't the RAM file merely give the address of the
>> 'streaming file' location?
>>
>> I am puzzled; my connection is very good as to eliminate bad connection
>> possibilities I stand right beside my AP when trying to access the BBC
>site.
>>
>> Geoff Lane
>>
>>
>
>Sorry, you've exhausted my limited knowledge in the area! When you tap on a
>Real link does it try to play or prompt to save? If the former then it's
>still acting differently than my 4150...so it could be something to do with
>the registry? Do a hard reset and try again? Dunno, I'm just clutching at
>straws.
>


Same problem here. I have an IPAQ 4355 and I have the same problem on
the BBC, ABC, CBS, Webtalk radio and others. It asks to download a
..ram file, open is checked and a message returns 'response from data
server timed out'. I have tried changing the directory to others as
well as the default. Also have v 2.0.0.28. Radio with MP or MP3 links
work fine.

I have tried changing the audio preferences (default is GPRS 3 slots)
but just seems to change time for error message to appear. Only
options in audio preferences are GPRS, CDMA, CDPD and CSD. Which is
needed for a WiFi ?
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 8:27:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Does anyone have Real Player working with online radio or tv links on
the PocketPC?


On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:40:17 GMT, BarryS <ng@ffodos.mailshell.com>
wrote:

>
>
>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:28:10 +0100, "JB"
><flaxton_uk_remove@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>news:40fd65b0$0$6440$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>>>
>>> > > I've tried it and still no joy - just to check, the RealPlayer version
>>> > > I've
>>> > > got is V2.0.0.24
>>> > >
>>> >
>>> > Mine says V2.0.0.28
>>>
>>> I have uninstalled mine and reinstalled and now the version shows
>>V2.0.0.28
>>> but still mine 'times out' regardless of if I try and open it direct from
>>> the BBC site or open the RAM file locally.
>>>
>>> But in any case doesn't the RAM file merely give the address of the
>>> 'streaming file' location?
>>>
>>> I am puzzled; my connection is very good as to eliminate bad connection
>>> possibilities I stand right beside my AP when trying to access the BBC
>>site.
>>>
>>> Geoff Lane
>>>
>>>
>>
>>Sorry, you've exhausted my limited knowledge in the area! When you tap on a
>>Real link does it try to play or prompt to save? If the former then it's
>>still acting differently than my 4150...so it could be something to do with
>>the registry? Do a hard reset and try again? Dunno, I'm just clutching at
>>straws.
>>
>
>
>Same problem here. I have an IPAQ 4355 and I have the same problem on
>the BBC, ABC, CBS, Webtalk radio and others. It asks to download a
>.ram file, open is checked and a message returns 'response from data
>server timed out'. I have tried changing the directory to others as
>well as the default. Also have v 2.0.0.28. Radio with MP or MP3 links
>work fine.
>
>I have tried changing the audio preferences (default is GPRS 3 slots)
>but just seems to change time for error message to appear. Only
>options in audio preferences are GPRS, CDMA, CDPD and CSD. Which is
>needed for a WiFi ?
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 8:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I had it working but I've since uninstalled real because most of the streams
I wanted to listen to were not supported by the ppc version of real player.
It's getting hard to find these types of streams.

--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...



"BarryS" <ng@ffodos.mailshell.com> wrote in message
news:p lqvf0lp8p41frip1gtviomk8up03p9pos@4ax.com...
> Does anyone have Real Player working with online radio or tv links on
> the PocketPC?
>
>
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:40:17 GMT, BarryS <ng@ffodos.mailshell.com>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:28:10 +0100, "JB"
>><flaxton_uk_remove@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>news:40fd65b0$0$6440$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>>>>
>>>> > > I've tried it and still no joy - just to check, the RealPlayer
>>>> > > version
>>>> > > I've
>>>> > > got is V2.0.0.24
>>>> > >
>>>> >
>>>> > Mine says V2.0.0.28
>>>>
>>>> I have uninstalled mine and reinstalled and now the version shows
>>>V2.0.0.28
>>>> but still mine 'times out' regardless of if I try and open it direct
>>>> from
>>>> the BBC site or open the RAM file locally.
>>>>
>>>> But in any case doesn't the RAM file merely give the address of the
>>>> 'streaming file' location?
>>>>
>>>> I am puzzled; my connection is very good as to eliminate bad connection
>>>> possibilities I stand right beside my AP when trying to access the BBC
>>>site.
>>>>
>>>> Geoff Lane
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>Sorry, you've exhausted my limited knowledge in the area! When you tap
>>>on a
>>>Real link does it try to play or prompt to save? If the former then it's
>>>still acting differently than my 4150...so it could be something to do
>>>with
>>>the registry? Do a hard reset and try again? Dunno, I'm just clutching
>>>at
>>>straws.
>>>
>>
>>
>>Same problem here. I have an IPAQ 4355 and I have the same problem on
>>the BBC, ABC, CBS, Webtalk radio and others. It asks to download a
>>.ram file, open is checked and a message returns 'response from data
>>server timed out'. I have tried changing the directory to others as
>>well as the default. Also have v 2.0.0.28. Radio with MP or MP3 links
>>work fine.
>>
>>I have tried changing the audio preferences (default is GPRS 3 slots)
>>but just seems to change time for error message to appear. Only
>>options in audio preferences are GPRS, CDMA, CDPD and CSD. Which is
>>needed for a WiFi ?
>
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 11:20:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

try here...
http://home.att.net/~pdahotspots/pda_moreradiovideo.htm
nate

In message <plqvf0lp8p41frip1gtviomk8up03p9pos@4ax.com>, BarryS
<ng@ffodos.mailshell.com> wrote:
Does anyone have Real Player working with online radio or tv links on
the PocketPC?


On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:40:17 GMT, BarryS <ng@ffodos.mailshell.com>
wrote:

>
>
>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:28:10 +0100, "JB"
><flaxton_uk_remove@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>news:40fd65b0$0$6440$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>>>
>>> > > I've tried it and still no joy - just to check, the RealPlayer version
>>> > > I've
>>> > > got is V2.0.0.24
>>> > >
>>> >
>>> > Mine says V2.0.0.28
>>>
>>> I have uninstalled mine and reinstalled and now the version shows
>>V2.0.0.28
>>> but still mine 'times out' regardless of if I try and open it direct from
>>> the BBC site or open the RAM file locally.
>>>
>>> But in any case doesn't the RAM file merely give the address of the
>>> 'streaming file' location?
>>>
>>> I am puzzled; my connection is very good as to eliminate bad connection
>>> possibilities I stand right beside my AP when trying to access the BBC
>>site.
>>>
>>> Geoff Lane
>>>
>>>
>>
>>Sorry, you've exhausted my limited knowledge in the area! When you tap
on a
>>Real link does it try to play or prompt to save? If the former then it's
>>still acting differently than my 4150...so it could be something to do with
>>the registry? Do a hard reset and try again? Dunno, I'm just clutching
at
>>straws.
>>
>
>
>Same problem here. I have an IPAQ 4355 and I have the same problem on
>the BBC, ABC, CBS, Webtalk radio and others. It asks to download a
>.ram file, open is checked and a message returns 'response from data
>server timed out'. I have tried changing the directory to others as
>well as the default. Also have v 2.0.0.28. Radio with MP or MP3 links
>work fine.
>
>I have tried changing the audio preferences (default is GPRS 3 slots)
>but just seems to change time for error message to appear. Only
>options in audio preferences are GPRS, CDMA, CDPD and CSD. Which is
>needed for a WiFi ?

iPAQ4150- 512SD(1), 256SD(2)... PDA's since the LG Phenom!
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 12:13:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote
in message news:%23s%23cowBcEHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

> > Does anyone have Real Player working with online radio or tv links on
> > the PocketPC?

> I had it working but I've since uninstalled real because most of the
streams
> I wanted to listen to were not supported by the ppc version of real
player.
> It's getting hard to find these types of streams.

Strange - real obviously want to make it available otherwise they would not
have launched it but I wonder what they tested it on.

Funny thing is PPC's MediaPlayer works fine on the BBC World Service which
is the only BBC radio program that broadcasts a media player option.

BBC never answer email queries but then no-one else seems to answer emails
these days, probably the SPAM.

Geoff Lane
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 6:48:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

This is the link I was using. Although the MP sites work OK, all the
RP ones respond with the same error message 'server timed out'.

Do any of the RP sites in this link play on your PocketPC?

Barry


On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:20:16 GMT, "NO" <my@email.address> wrote:

>try here...
>http://home.att.net/~pdahotspots/pda_moreradiovideo.htm
>nate
>
>In message <plqvf0lp8p41frip1gtviomk8up03p9pos@4ax.com>, BarryS
><ng@ffodos.mailshell.com> wrote:
>Does anyone have Real Player working with online radio or tv links on
>the PocketPC?
>
>
>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:40:17 GMT, BarryS <ng@ffodos.mailshell.com>
>wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:28:10 +0100, "JB"
>><flaxton_uk_remove@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>news:40fd65b0$0$6440$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>>>>
>>>> > > I've tried it and still no joy - just to check, the RealPlayer version
>>>> > > I've
>>>> > > got is V2.0.0.24
>>>> > >
>>>> >
>>>> > Mine says V2.0.0.28
>>>>
>>>> I have uninstalled mine and reinstalled and now the version shows
>>>V2.0.0.28
>>>> but still mine 'times out' regardless of if I try and open it direct from
>>>> the BBC site or open the RAM file locally.
>>>>
>>>> But in any case doesn't the RAM file merely give the address of the
>>>> 'streaming file' location?
>>>>
>>>> I am puzzled; my connection is very good as to eliminate bad connection
>>>> possibilities I stand right beside my AP when trying to access the BBC
>>>site.
>>>>
>>>> Geoff Lane
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>Sorry, you've exhausted my limited knowledge in the area! When you tap
>on a
>>>Real link does it try to play or prompt to save? If the former then it's
>>>still acting differently than my 4150...so it could be something to do with
>>>the registry? Do a hard reset and try again? Dunno, I'm just clutching
>at
>>>straws.
>>>
>>
>>
>>Same problem here. I have an IPAQ 4355 and I have the same problem on
>>the BBC, ABC, CBS, Webtalk radio and others. It asks to download a
>>.ram file, open is checked and a message returns 'response from data
>>server timed out'. I have tried changing the directory to others as
>>well as the default. Also have v 2.0.0.28. Radio with MP or MP3 links
>>work fine.
>>
>>I have tried changing the audio preferences (default is GPRS 3 slots)
>>but just seems to change time for error message to appear. Only
>>options in audio preferences are GPRS, CDMA, CDPD and CSD. Which is
>>needed for a WiFi ?
>
>iPAQ4150- 512SD(1), 256SD(2)... PDA's since the LG Phenom!
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 12:06:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Well, I WAS able to stream SOME Realplayer sites...

You need the rtsp:// address -- I would download the RAM file
manually,
and enter the value inside of it. Only some Realplayer streams use the
rtsp:// protocol. For some reason, if RealPlayer downloads the RAM
file - it doesn't properly read the rtsp:// address inside of it... so
I had to manually extract the address for each site I wanted to listen
to...
(You also need the version 1.1 player, from the Real website)

Well, here comes the "WAS" portion... I changed routers, since I now
have VoIP service.... The new router seems to forward the ports that
the PC client uses, but not the ones that the PocketPC client uses.
I used a packet sniffer to see which port was being used... While the
ports that the PPC client used was within the range that the Real site
has for the PC client -- the PC client seemed to normally use a much
lower port range....

Unfortunately, this VoIP router only allows for forwarding up to 6 (I
think) single ports... no port ranges. Real has a LARGE range of ports
it could use.

While the PC client allows you to specify ports - the PPC client
doesn't via the UI. I got in touch with someone who had access to the
PocketPC client source code--- and I entered the registry entries he
mentioned - and it still didn't force the proper ports.

See the below thread with my frustration from about three weeks ago (I
don't know if there is a shorter way to specify this URL):

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&thre...


Another general thing (prior to getting the new router - not Real
specific)- I found that the wireless router I was using was set on a
channel that was causing alot of lost packets, even though the card
software said I was getting "Excellent" reception. I changed channels
and the timeouts I would sometimes get in streaming to Windows Media
Player went away...

Thanks!

Please respond to the group.

BarryS <ng@ffodos.mailshell.com> wrote in message news:<ts82g0dgvdfhtqur912957v889lfbr7od3@4ax.com>...
> This is the link I was using. Although the MP sites work OK, all the
> RP ones respond with the same error message 'server timed out'.
>
> Do any of the RP sites in this link play on your PocketPC?
>
> Barry
>
>
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:20:16 GMT, "NO" <my@email.address> wrote:
>
> >try here...
> >http://home.att.net/~pdahotspots/pda_moreradiovideo.htm
> >nate
> >
> >In message <plqvf0lp8p41frip1gtviomk8up03p9pos@4ax.com>, BarryS
> ><ng@ffodos.mailshell.com> wrote:
> >Does anyone have Real Player working with online radio or tv links on
> >the PocketPC?
> >
> >
> >On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:40:17 GMT, BarryS <ng@ffodos.mailshell.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>
> >>
> >>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:28:10 +0100, "JB"
> >><flaxton_uk_remove@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>>"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>>news:40fd65b0$0$6440$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> >>>>
> >>>> > > I've tried it and still no joy - just to check, the RealPlayer version
> >>>> > > I've
> >>>> > > got is V2.0.0.24
> >>>> > >
> >>>> >
> >>>> > Mine says V2.0.0.28
> >>>>
> >>>> I have uninstalled mine and reinstalled and now the version shows
> V2.0.0.28
> >>>> but still mine 'times out' regardless of if I try and open it direct from
> >>>> the BBC site or open the RAM file locally.
> >>>>
> >>>> But in any case doesn't the RAM file merely give the address of the
> >>>> 'streaming file' location?
> >>>>
> >>>> I am puzzled; my connection is very good as to eliminate bad connection
> >>>> possibilities I stand right beside my AP when trying to access the BBC
> site.
> >>>>
> >>>> Geoff Lane
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>Sorry, you've exhausted my limited knowledge in the area! When you tap
> on a
> >>>Real link does it try to play or prompt to save? If the former then it's
> >>>still acting differently than my 4150...so it could be something to do with
> >>>the registry? Do a hard reset and try again? Dunno, I'm just clutching
> at
> >>>straws.
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >>Same problem here. I have an IPAQ 4355 and I have the same problem on
> >>the BBC, ABC, CBS, Webtalk radio and others. It asks to download a
> >>.ram file, open is checked and a message returns 'response from data
> >>server timed out'. I have tried changing the directory to others as
> >>well as the default. Also have v 2.0.0.28. Radio with MP or MP3 links
> >>work fine.
> >>
> >>I have tried changing the audio preferences (default is GPRS 3 slots)
> >>but just seems to change time for error message to appear. Only
> >>options in audio preferences are GPRS, CDMA, CDPD and CSD. Which is
> >>needed for a WiFi ?
> >
> >iPAQ4150- 512SD(1), 256SD(2)... PDA's since the LG Phenom!
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 8:22:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

If anyone can get their PocketPC to play RealAudio through their
router,
by using the port changing registry settings I list in the below URL,
please let me know.

I have been unable to get it to work -even though the settings (in
words at least) match what the source code says.

Maybe someone can figure out that I'm entering something in
incorrectly (and thus help themselves, plus me!)

Thanks. Please post reply publically.


danr_18@yahoo.com (Daniel Rosenzweig) wrote in message news:<7d7dc078.0407241906.6e0f9c3d@posting.google.com>...
> Well, I WAS able to stream SOME Realplayer sites...
>
> You need the rtsp:// address -- I would download the RAM file
> manually,
> and enter the value inside of it. Only some Realplayer streams use the
> rtsp:// protocol. For some reason, if RealPlayer downloads the RAM
> file - it doesn't properly read the rtsp:// address inside of it... so
> I had to manually extract the address for each site I wanted to listen
> to...
> (You also need the version 1.1 player, from the Real website)
>
> Well, here comes the "WAS" portion... I changed routers, since I now
> have VoIP service.... The new router seems to forward the ports that
> the PC client uses, but not the ones that the PocketPC client uses.
> I used a packet sniffer to see which port was being used... While the
> ports that the PPC client used was within the range that the Real site
> has for the PC client -- the PC client seemed to normally use a much
> lower port range....
>
> Unfortunately, this VoIP router only allows for forwarding up to 6 (I
> think) single ports... no port ranges. Real has a LARGE range of ports
> it could use.
>
> While the PC client allows you to specify ports - the PPC client
> doesn't via the UI. I got in touch with someone who had access to the
> PocketPC client source code--- and I entered the registry entries he
> mentioned - and it still didn't force the proper ports.
>
> See the below thread with my frustration from about three weeks ago (I
> don't know if there is a shorter way to specify this URL):
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&thre...
!