No "Wireless Connection" Icon

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
March 26, 2005 12:11:02 PM

I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed correctly.
It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
"wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read all
the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no answer.
Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 1:57:02 PM

I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the issue
and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix. The
article is KB 829652. Any help??

"Herby" wrote:

> I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed correctly.
> It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
> "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read all
> the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no answer.
> Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 2:33:52 PM

If you mean that it does not show up in the lower right-hand corner of the
desktop then got Control Panel, and run the Network Connections application.
Right-Click on the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. On the
General tab put a check in the box marked "Show Icon in notification area
when connected". Then click OK to save the settings.

If you mean it does not show up in the Network Connections box under the
list of available connections then the system is not recognizing it as a
Network Interface. Does the system recognize that it a USB device is
connecting when you plug it into the USB Port?
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Herby" <Herby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed
>correctly.
> It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
> "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read
> all
> the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no
> answer.
> Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.
Related resources
March 26, 2005 2:33:53 PM

I have both icon problems. It does not show up in the lower right-hand
corner and No wireless connection Icon is in the network connections window.
The USB adapter is working properly and is in network adapter section of
Device Manager.

"WLW" wrote:

> If you mean that it does not show up in the lower right-hand corner of the
> desktop then got Control Panel, and run the Network Connections application.
> Right-Click on the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. On the
> General tab put a check in the box marked "Show Icon in notification area
> when connected". Then click OK to save the settings.
>
> If you mean it does not show up in the Network Connections box under the
> list of available connections then the system is not recognizing it as a
> Network Interface. Does the system recognize that it a USB device is
> connecting when you plug it into the USB Port?
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com
>

> "Herby" <Herby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed
> >correctly.
> > It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
> > "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read
> > all
> > the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no
> > answer.
> > Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 4:16:16 PM

> The article is KB 829652. Any help??

That KB article seems to be about changing logon credentials. ???

Have you looked at KB 313242 - How to troubleshoot wireless network
connections in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242

--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Boshie" <Boshie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
> connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the
> issue
> and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix.
> The
> article is KB 829652. Any help??
>
> "Herby" wrote:
>
>> I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed
>> correctly.
>> It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
>> "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read
>> all
>> the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no
>> answer.
>> Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.
March 26, 2005 4:16:17 PM

Yes I checked the all the KB articles. No joy.
"WLW" wrote:

> > The article is KB 829652. Any help??
>
> That KB article seems to be about changing logon credentials. ???
>
> Have you looked at KB 313242 - How to troubleshoot wireless network
> connections in Windows XP
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242
>
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com
>

> "Boshie" <Boshie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
> > connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the
> > issue
> > and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix.
> > The
> > article is KB 829652. Any help??
> >
> > "Herby" wrote:
> >
> >> I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed
> >> correctly.
> >> It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
> >> "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read
> >> all
> >> the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no
> >> answer.
> >> Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 4:16:17 PM

The adapter shows up in "Device Manager" and shows as working.
It does not show up under the "Network Connections".
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device but no help. The adapter
light is on but the connection light is flashing showing no connection.
Nothing seems to help.

I emailed support to see what the say and will post the results for anyone
that is curious.

"WLW" wrote:

> > The article is KB 829652. Any help??
>
> That KB article seems to be about changing logon credentials. ???
>
> Have you looked at KB 313242 - How to troubleshoot wireless network
> connections in Windows XP
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242
>
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com
>

> "Boshie" <Boshie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
> > connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the
> > issue
> > and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix.
> > The
> > article is KB 829652. Any help??
> >
> > "Herby" wrote:
> >
> >> I have installed a wireless usb adapter. Everything is installed
> >> correctly.
> >> It comes up with no errors in the device manager. But I still can't get a
> >> "wireless connection" icon. I have updated all the drivers. I have read
> >> all
> >> the prior newsgroup articles and have read the KB articles. Still no
> >> answer.
> >> Can anybody give me an idea of what is going on? I have service pack 2.

March 26, 2005 4:16:18 PM

Thank you Boshie.
I have spent countless hours with D-link tech support. My Usb adapter is
DWL-122. I have also installed and reinstalled many times. D-Link tech
support told me that it is a Windows issue. I told them that I bet there
drivers from 2003( which are the most up to date) are to old and are not
compatible with Service Pack 2. Oh they said that that's not the problem,
Its a windows problem. The Adapter works fine on my Win 2k laptop.
Hopefully your email will shed some light.

"Boshie" wrote:

> The adapter shows up in "Device Manager" and shows as working.
> It does not show up under the "Network Connections".
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device but no help. The adapter
> light is on but the connection light is flashing showing no connection.
> Nothing seems to help.
>
> I emailed support to see what the say and will post the results for anyone
> that is curious.
>
> "WLW" wrote:
>
> > > The article is KB 829652. Any help??
> >
> > That KB article seems to be about changing logon credentials. ???
> >
> > Have you looked at KB 313242 - How to troubleshoot wireless network
> > connections in Windows XP
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242
> >
> > --
> > William L. Whipple
> > WWW.EZine.Com
> >

> > "Boshie" <Boshie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
> > > connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the
> > > issue
> > > and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix.
> > > The
> > > article is KB 829652. Any help??

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 4:16:19 PM

I am also running a DWL-122 USB adpater. I also have the same adapter on a
second machine that is working correctly. The only difference is the one
that is not working is XP-Pro and the one that does work is XP-Home. I agree
it is a windows issue and should have paid closer attention to when it quit
so I new what changes were made. It is in my sons room.

I use a D-Link DI-514 Router.

The funny thing is the icon disappered long before the adpater quit working.
I recently changed my WEP key and that is when it quit working. I went to
change the Key on the machine with no icon and couldn't because the icon is
gone. I changed the key back thinking it would work but NOPE! Gone for good.

"Herby" wrote:

> Thank you Boshie.
> I have spent countless hours with D-link tech support. My Usb adapter is
> DWL-122. I have also installed and reinstalled many times. D-Link tech
> support told me that it is a Windows issue. I told them that I bet there
> drivers from 2003( which are the most up to date) are to old and are not
> compatible with Service Pack 2. Oh they said that that's not the problem,
> Its a windows problem. The Adapter works fine on my Win 2k laptop.
> Hopefully your email will shed some light.
>
> "Boshie" wrote:
>
> > The adapter shows up in "Device Manager" and shows as working.
> > It does not show up under the "Network Connections".
> > I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device but no help. The adapter
> > light is on but the connection light is flashing showing no connection.
> > Nothing seems to help.
> >
> > I emailed support to see what the say and will post the results for anyone
> > that is curious.

> > > That KB article seems to be about changing logon credentials. ???
> > >
> > > Have you looked at KB 313242 - How to troubleshoot wireless network
> > > connections in Windows XP
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242
> > >
> > > --
> > > William L. Whipple
> > > WWW.EZine.Com
> > >

> > > "Boshie" <Boshie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

March 26, 2005 4:16:20 PM

My D-link utility doesn't even want to start. Did you call D-Link tech
support?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 4:16:21 PM

I have not called D-Link mainly because they have not posted any new drivers.
It appears they are only addressing the more recent cards.

I tried the D-Link utility and got the same result as you, it does not start.

"Herby" wrote:

> My D-link utility doesn't even want to start. Did you call D-Link tech
> support?
March 26, 2005 4:16:22 PM

Call them, see if you can get a fix. And maybe they will update the drivers?

"Boshie" wrote:

> I have not called D-Link mainly because they have not posted any new drivers.
> It appears they are only addressing the more recent cards.
>
> I tried the D-Link utility and got the same result as you, it does not start.
>

> "Herby" wrote:
>

> > My D-link utility doesn't even want to start. Did you call D-Link tech
> > support?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 4:16:22 PM

New Microsoft article number 894543.

"Boshie" wrote:

> I have not called D-Link mainly because they have not posted any new drivers.
> It appears they are only addressing the more recent cards.
>
> I tried the D-Link utility and got the same result as you, it does not start.
>

> "Herby" wrote:
>

> > My D-link utility doesn't even want to start. Did you call D-Link tech
> > support?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2005 4:50:53 PM

The best possibilities would probably be that the Interface Adapter Driver
does not completely support Windows Wireless Zero Configuration, or that
your TCP/IP stack is corrupted.

If it doesn't support WinWZC see the steps outlined in KB 313242
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242
Read the whole article, it covers a lot of things.

If the stack is corrupted see the steps in KB 299357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
--

> Yes I checked the all the KB articles. No joy.
> "WLW" wrote:
>
>> > The article is KB 829652. Any help??
>>
>> That KB article seems to be about changing logon credentials. ???
>>
>> Have you looked at KB 313242 - How to troubleshoot wireless network
>> connections in Windows XP
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242
>>
>> --
>> William L. Whipple
>> WWW.EZine.Com
>>

>> "Boshie" <Boshie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I too have the same problem. No Wireless connection icon in the network
>> > connections folder. I found a an article in support that addresses the
>> > issue
>> > and references a hotfix but have not found out how to get the hot fix.
>> > The
>> > article is KB 829652. Any help??

March 26, 2005 8:57:02 PM

I read that but I don't know what do with it.

"Boshie" wrote:

> New Microsoft article number 894543.
>
> "Boshie" wrote:
>
> > I have not called D-Link mainly because they have not posted any new drivers.
> > It appears they are only addressing the more recent cards.
> >
> > I tried the D-Link utility and got the same result as you, it does not start.
> >

> > "Herby" wrote:
> >

> > > My D-link utility doesn't even want to start. Did you call D-Link tech
> > > support?
March 26, 2005 8:59:06 PM

This is an article D-link sent me. I tried all the steps. You try them
too. I had some things that weren't the same on mine. Maybe I missed a
step. If it works let me know. KB # 825826
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825826&Product=winxp
"Boshie" wrote:

> New Microsoft article number 894543.
>
> "Boshie" wrote:
>
> > I have not called D-Link mainly because they have not posted any new drivers.
> > It appears they are only addressing the more recent cards.
> >
> > I tried the D-Link utility and got the same result as you, it does not start.
> >

> > "Herby" wrote:
> >

> > > My D-link utility doesn't even want to start. Did you call D-Link tech
> > > support?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 27, 2005 7:15:01 PM

Well,,,,

I called D-Link and after jumping through all the hoops was directed back to
MS as they indicate it is an XP issue.

I got a response from MS and was directed to a hotfix that did not work. I
had to uninstall SP2 to run the hotfix. I have uninstalled all software
other than office, still not working.

I am now going to wipe the hardrive and reinstall XP. I know this will work
but really shouldn't have to do it this way.

One question: When you go to network properties is their an L at the top of
the window? I have one icon for my onboard NIC and that is all and a wierd
L... at the top of the window.

Dean

"Herby" wrote:

> This is an article D-link sent me. I tried all the steps. You try them
> too. I had some things that weren't the same on mine. Maybe I missed a
> step. If it works let me know. KB # 825826
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825826&Product=winxp
> "Boshie" wrote:
>
> > New Microsoft article number 894543.
> >
> > "Boshie" wrote:
> >
> > > I have not called D-Link mainly because they have not posted any new drivers.
> > > It appears they are only addressing the more recent cards.
> > >
> > > I tried the D-Link utility and got the same result as you, it does not start.

March 28, 2005 2:51:03 PM

I am not sure what your talking about an "L". Post a link of Screenshot.
Use iimageshack.us.
"Boshie" wrote:

> Well,,,,
>
> I called D-Link and after jumping through all the hoops was directed back to
> MS as they indicate it is an XP issue.
>
> I got a response from MS and was directed to a hotfix that did not work. I
> had to uninstall SP2 to run the hotfix. I have uninstalled all software
> other than office, still not working.
>
> I am now going to wipe the hardrive and reinstall XP. I know this will work
> but really shouldn't have to do it this way.
>
> One question: When you go to network properties is their an L at the top of
> the window? I have one icon for my onboard NIC and that is all and a wierd
> L... at the top of the window.
>
> Dean
>
> "Herby" wrote:
>

> > This is an article D-link sent me. I tried all the steps. You try them
> > too. I had some things that weren't the same on mine. Maybe I missed a
> > step. If it works let me know. KB # 825826
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825826&Product=winxp
> > "Boshie" wrote:
> >
> > > New Microsoft article number 894543.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 29, 2005 12:15:02 AM

Where most PC's say LAN or High-Speed Internet I just had an L. I can no
longer get a screen shot as I wiped it and reinstalled last night and
everything is back to normal.

Sorry I can not give you more. I do not no what caused it but it is now
working correctly.

"Herby" wrote:

> I am not sure what your talking about an "L". Post a link of Screenshot.
> Use iimageshack.us.
> "Boshie" wrote:
>
> > Well,,,,
> >
> > I called D-Link and after jumping through all the hoops was directed back to
> > MS as they indicate it is an XP issue.
> >
> > I got a response from MS and was directed to a hotfix that did not work. I
> > had to uninstall SP2 to run the hotfix. I have uninstalled all software
> > other than office, still not working.
> >
> > I am now going to wipe the hardrive and reinstall XP. I know this will work
> > but really shouldn't have to do it this way.
> >
> > One question: When you go to network properties is their an L at the top of
> > the window? I have one icon for my onboard NIC and that is all and a wierd
> > L... at the top of the window.
> >
> > Dean
> >
> > "Herby" wrote:
> >

> > > This is an article D-link sent me. I tried all the steps. You try them
> > > too. I had some things that weren't the same on mine. Maybe I missed a
> > > step. If it works let me know. KB # 825826
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825826&Product=winxp

March 29, 2005 6:25:07 AM

It is a real shame. I am not gonna re-install my OS. That is not an
option. Thank You it was fun.
"Boshie" wrote:

> Where most PC's say LAN or High-Speed Internet I just had an L. I can no
> longer get a screen shot as I wiped it and reinstalled last night and
> everything is back to normal.
>
> Sorry I can not give you more. I do not no what caused it but it is now
> working correctly.
>

> "Herby" wrote:
>

> > I am not sure what your talking about an "L". Post a link of Screenshot.
> > Use iimageshack.us.
> > "Boshie" wrote:
> >
> > > Well,,,,
> > >
> > > I called D-Link and after jumping through all the hoops was directed back to
> > > MS as they indicate it is an XP issue.
> > >
> > > I got a response from MS and was directed to a hotfix that did not work. I
> > > had to uninstall SP2 to run the hotfix. I have uninstalled all software
> > > other than office, still not working.
> > >
> > > I am now going to wipe the hardrive and reinstall XP. I know this will work
> > > but really shouldn't have to do it this way.
> > >
> > > One question: When you go to network properties is their an L at the top of
> > > the window? I have one icon for my onboard NIC and that is all and a wierd
> > > L... at the top of the window.
> > >
> > > Dean

March 31, 2005 3:37:06 PM

Did you fix it Boshie? Does it work after you reinstalled the OS?

!